Trip report AA-Qatar-Airlink

One thing that I think that confused my AA ticket agent at the Denver Airport.

She looked at my itinerary is that it had all the requirements on it. From the rifle permits to the covid test and a few in between. She printed it out and I could see her eyes bouncing around in her head as she tried to make sense of it. As she went down the requirements I simply told her that all of them didn't have a thing to do with AA but only when I got to South Africa. But to calm her down I pulled out copies of everything that she asked for and showed her that I had all the required test and paperwork.

She finally calmed down and checked by bags all the way through to Joberg. In all I think that I was at her desk for about 20 minutes.

Last August I had my boots in my carry on in a plastic bag for the anticipated spray. They did not ask for them. Maybe they no longer spray boots?

They were all about the boot spray when I came back in to ATL last September. They soaked them.

They were all about the boot spray when I came back in to ATL last September. They soaked them.
Same here came through ATL a couple of years ago and came out with soaking wet boots in a bag. Last year coming through DFW I was ready with my Courtny’s in a bag for the same treatment, the customs guy said “welcome home” and off we went. No ag dept or anything.

@Philip Glass thanks for this report. I am considering Qatar for my Zambia hunt in 2023 and your comments on the AA issues on the domestic flights to/from DFW are concerning. I am strongly considering driving to DFW or IAH (3.5 hours to either one) so I can be exclusively on Qatar and not AA or United connectors.

Flying out of ORD mid August on Qatar economy thru Doha on to Windhoek. Flying with a firearm. I’ll provide a report on my return early September.

@Philip Glass thanks for this report. I am considering Qatar for my Zambia hunt in 2023 and your comments on the AA issues on the domestic flights to/from DFW are concerning. I am strongly considering driving to DFW or IAH (3.5 hours to either one) so I can be exclusively on Qatar and not AA or United connectors.

That’s what I do. The flights are generally cheaper out of IAH too, not sure why. Just made the 4 hour return drive from a BA flight.

Thanks for the detailed report, Philip. Sad to see that traveling with hunting rifles has become more difficult - since just last year.
Yes and with no rule changes, just more idiots!

A couple of things to add to Phillips post, I was one of the ones in economy but that's another story.

The Qatar check in in Dallas was great. We had one person who was taking forms and getting things done, I would say that he worked his rear off getting all of us through the process. Security was a mess for me. Once I got to the front of the line we had what looked like 2 full crews of international flights hit the line, then there were the handicap folks in wheelchairs that went after the flight crews. I stood there wondering if I was going to fly or have to wait until the next day. Once I got down to the gate the line was long. I occupied my time talking to a young gentleman who was flying with his family. As his wife and 2 children had disappeared I helped shuttle all of their carry on baggage as we moved up. We did get away from the gate a hour late, perhaps due to late check ins.

Phillip mentioned that Joberg was a breeze, I'll agree here. With Marquis and his help getting us through the process. The only hitch was with the payments with Airlink. With the first couple of us the agent wanted to charge for the ammo box. One of Marquis's agents quickly stepped in and showed them on their computer that we should only be charged for one bag and not two. With that settled the process went smoothly.

Fast forward to the return trip and the Qatar check in at Joberg. As Phillip mentioned there was only a single agent working the process. after a while a second agent showed up to her left and another one to her right. They both sat there not even thinking of helping the single agent who had a dozen of us in front of her. It took a little over 4 hours to get us all processed, I was one of the last through so it was a very long wait. We managed to be able to sit down for 30 or so minutes at the gate before loading. And I wondered what I was going to do with a 6 hour layover.

Customs in Dallas couldn't of been better. A couple of agents were working together, one checking our rifles and the other doing the rest of the paperwork to get us through. I waited for them to ask about my boots. They were in my suit case in a plastic bag but there was no mention of them.

Over all the flights were not too bad except for the length of the one from Dallas to Doha, then the 8 hr one to Joberg was a piece of cake. But being in the air a total of 36 or so hours takes a toll on a person. Younger folks handle it better than those of us pushing 70. But after a few days rest if someone was willing to pay for a trip back I would be the first in line.
@JimP it was great having you along on this great adventure. And as always the airports were an adventure as well!

Great recap, thanks for the intelligence report, a few noteworthy take aways
You are welcome. I hope it helps some to prepare and know what to expect. Of course, you never know what to expect!

Was that a giant shrimp or a tiny plate? That looked pretty tasty!
It was a giant shrimp Along with lobster meat! This is twice that on return one of the appetizer choices was lobster! After two (and two coming up soon) trips in QSuite I don’t know what to do. I’m spoiled!
Seriously I do want to travel on different airlines specifically so that I can report on the experience.

Sounds like we want to avoid AA. Fortunately I travel starting in ATL so Qatar can work all the way given I don’t trust Delta either. Can’t wait for hunting report!!!
Craig actually it has only been recently that I’ve had trouble with AA. In the past the biggest aggravation was them not wanting to check through to Delta. You never know what the next trip will bring.
I will look at Delta again, when they get their act together!
Philip

Being mother hen for sixteen is going to be a bit more stressful than for two or three.
Yes sir! It was a different experience not only having my family but so many others. A little different than hunting solo. I am thankful to have a great travel agent in Patrick at TWG. He has helped me so very much to get to this point where I can really help others.

Craig actually it has only been recently that I’ve had trouble with AA. In the past the biggest aggravation was them not wanting to check through to Delta. You never know what the next trip will bring.
I will look at Delta again, when they get their act together!
Philip
This is frustrating to read because I thought Delta was getting better. I was wanting to book with them for next spring. And, avoiding United all together.

Great chronology of events @Philip Glass and glad you had a good trip. This whole process points to the sheer artistry and know-how of complex travel. While you used additional expertise and services (riflepermits.com) it's clear you knew the policies and rules to the Nth detail and "stuck to your guns" when you were getting bad info of which you received a lot from ticket agents.

My question to you is in light of your last experience, what would you do differently next time if anything?

Some ideas that struck me would be: 1.) Don't tell domestic carriers you're leaving the country, keep the tickets separate. (different rules, keep them naive, assume you must recheck bags). 2.) With the number of guests you had, maybe a group charter flight in Africa would have been even-money or close to it, thus simplifying everything? 3.) Placate the ignorant by printing out duplicates of all the documents they do not actually need and just give them out anyway? 4.) Get pre-approval from SAPS so you can show them the SAPS permits in USA even though everyone usually gets them upon Jo'Burg arrival?

Thanks for sharing this great real-world experience.
Thanks and yes I’ll share a few thoughts.
1. I can be a witty quick thinker but under the stress of the AA checkin process (with 15 people depending on me) I missed a big point. AA kept asking for docs for the next leg on Qatar and SA entry but yet was arguing that since I was booked on separate tickets she couldn’t check through. YOU CAN‘T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS LADY! This is what dawned on me right after we were checked in. We were on separate tickets Therefore it was none of her damn business where I was going.
2. No the charter would have been more and really Airlink is pretty good. It is just paying for rifles and luggage that bogs down the process. Maybe they will wake up one day!
3. Again I was slow thinking at the AA counter. Truthfully I was surprised they were giving me so much trouble! I should have said “here is my 4457 and this is all you are allowed to ask me!”

We all just have to be very knowledgeable and flexible these days.
Regards,
Philip

I had a little bit of a cluster f*ck moment with the Delta ticket counter. The lady (very nice by the way) informed me that my pelican case needed two additional locks, because there were two empty slots on my gun case. I had to go around all over the airport dragging my gun case looking for a store that had locks. I had to deal with rude store employees, and then a plastic container where the locks were that I couldn't open without the help of a knife, which no one has one at the airport. Luckily one lady at a store had a box opener, and that worked. Once I had four locks on my case, everything else went smooth. So, if your gun case has holes for 4, 5, 6, 7 or whatever number of locks, don't be surprise if the ticket agent ask you put one in each hole. :ROFLMAO:

here you go!

100% true. Every hole on a gun case must be filled with a lock. This is TSA nonsense of which I can recount you with hilarious tales ad nauseum. Because they are also imbeciles and break locks to get inside, I always bring spare locks with me. Your trouble is always leaving the USA dealing with TSA, getting your stuff back in the USA is easy...they'll let anything slip through. Bring extra TSA locks and extra non-TSA locks. If possible, buy all your TSA locks with the same TSA key-code on them. I buy in person rather than online so that all my locks have keyset 007. This is because TSA has childlike temper tantrums trying to use their master keys and if you give them an item that has 2-4 TSA locks that all require a different master key, they just break the locks. Then they smirk at you and say "you can't fly with this, all the locks are broken, have a F*ing nice day you capitalist swine".

I've watched them do this to me, I reach into my carry on, whip out more locks, and move forward.

Postscript: I've filed twice for lock replacement due to their breaking my locks. Both times, TSA denied my $20 claims with a "tough luck" attitude.
Good to know about the different TSA keys. thanks.

Business class is a game changer! I arrived without that dopey, hungover feeling. I found myself looking forward to it on the way back!

Thanks for the informative report!
Yes sir!

Thanks for the report. Those Qsuites look outstanding

I was able to get my ticket for this Oct a few weeks back for Premium select around $2500. This is for DFW -> ATL -> JNB
I would love to hear your report. That is the price range I would be looking for on Delta PS.

Flying out of ORD mid August on Qatar economy thru Doha on to Windhoek. Flying with a firearm. I’ll provide a report on my return early September.
Look forward to the report.

Always a good idea. I am a solid 5 hours from DFW and then paying for parking so it is just not an option For me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruben Gouws

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa