Travel with a suppressor through Newark or buy one in RSA and leave it

Letzhunt

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I know its been talked about before in general but has anyone traveled through Newark Airport and travelled with a suppressor? The other option that I may think is better is to speak with the Outfitter and have him either purchase or arrange for me to purchase a suppressor with a 5/8x24 thread while I'm there and leave it for the next time or for others to use as a bonus for those with a threaded barrel and not using a camp gun. Thoughts?

Have you considered just doing without while you're there? Shouldn't be a whole lot of shooting involved if you know your gun. I get the advantage of a suppressor at the range but hunting not so much. I absolutely do not pay any attention to recoil in the field. My focus is entirely on the game I'm shooting at.

Nothing to do with recoil. More about the noise as my hearing has suffered over the years and I can't afford to damage it anymore. I used the ear protectors that are attached to the band on my last safari and it worked well but I much prefer to use a suppressor as I do at home.

Be careful as a year ago while returning from Alaska my wife packed the suppressor in a checked bag(not the rifle case) and was flagged by luggage screeners. She returned to the counter and was forced to purchase a pistol case with locks and check it separately.

She received a fine and lost TSA pre check for 6 months.

Just place the suppressor in your rifle case and have it all documented on the form 4457.

HH

I’ve always kept mine in my checked gun case with it on the form 4457. Taken it on my last 2 trips, both through London from the states with no questions asked. In SA they don’t care at all. Wasn’t looked at anywhere in Africa, only in the states.

I bought a really nice one and left it. It was way less expensive than buying one in the states. I was taking kids who were very new to shooting and very noise/recoil sensitive

. A suppressor was a must for me.

It’s been covered here before, although people get by without doing it the right way, technically you have to ask for permission to temporarily export a suppressor.

I know its been talked about before in general but has anyone traveled through Newark Airport and travelled with a suppressor? The other option that I may think is better is to speak with the Outfitter and have him either purchase or arrange for me to purchase a suppressor with a 5/8x24 thread while I'm there and leave it for the next time or for others to use as a bonus for those with a threaded barrel and not using a camp gun. Thoughts?
Do Not fly through NJ or NY with a handgun or a suppressor. In the event of a cancelled flight and you take possession of your bags you are instantly a felon and have no recourse.
Just ask your outfitter what he can do for you.
Have a great trip!

Do Not fly through NJ or NY with a handgun or a suppressor. In the event of a cancelled flight and you take possession of your bags you are instantly a felon and have no recourse.
Just ask your outfitter what he can do for you.
Have a great trip!
@Letzhunt @Philip Glass: in New Jersey not only are suppressors ILLEGAL but so is any firearm that has a barrel “threaded” to accept a Suppressor. While many people may have slipped thru Newark Airport without a problem - there is a risk. Do Not think TSA knows the Laws - they only follow TSA policy and barely know that. If anything happens where you need to reclaim your bag - then get checked in again = Problems could arise. NJ is notorious for prosecuting Gun Law violations regardless of mistakes, intent, or any common sense. Having lived there - I would Never take a risk flying thru Newark Airport with anything illegal in NJ….but that is just my opinion.
If you want a more detailed and objective understanding of NJ “Gun Laws” read a book by “Evan Nappen” on NY Gun Laws, he is an attorney in NJ that specializes in NJ Gun Laws and is considered the foremost “expert” on NJ Gun Laws —- he also defends those charged with Gun Law violations —- so keep his contact info handy…you might need him!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRJAmee646

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available