Travel with a suppressor through Newark or buy one in RSA and leave it

Letzhunt

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I know its been talked about before in general but has anyone traveled through Newark Airport and travelled with a suppressor? The other option that I may think is better is to speak with the Outfitter and have him either purchase or arrange for me to purchase a suppressor with a 5/8x24 thread while I'm there and leave it for the next time or for others to use as a bonus for those with a threaded barrel and not using a camp gun. Thoughts?

Have you considered just doing without while you're there? Shouldn't be a whole lot of shooting involved if you know your gun. I get the advantage of a suppressor at the range but hunting not so much. I absolutely do not pay any attention to recoil in the field. My focus is entirely on the game I'm shooting at.

Nothing to do with recoil. More about the noise as my hearing has suffered over the years and I can't afford to damage it anymore. I used the ear protectors that are attached to the band on my last safari and it worked well but I much prefer to use a suppressor as I do at home.

Myself and three friends traveled through Newark with Suppressors in June of this year. Put them in your checked bag not your gun case. No issues.

Myself and three friends traveled through Newark with Suppressors in June of this year. Put them in your checked bag not your gun case. No issues.
That sounds like a better plan. Did you do the 4457 form just in case

Be careful as a year ago while returning from Alaska my wife packed the suppressor in a checked bag(not the rifle case) and was flagged by luggage screeners. She returned to the counter and was forced to purchase a pistol case with locks and check it separately.

She received a fine and lost TSA pre check for 6 months.

Just place the suppressor in your rifle case and have it all documented on the form 4457.

HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieYaga

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?