Scope for .375 double

Canadaboy

AH senior member
Reaction score
I have a Heym 89b sidelock in .375 H&H. It has a claw mounted Zeiss 1.5-4.5x18 scope which works fairly well on this rifle but I find that eye position relative to the scope is fairly critical and it’s a little finicky to quickly acquire the sight picture at times. I’m considering rescoping it with a Swarovski Z6i, the 1-6x24 seems to be the obvious choice. However, as a general purpose rifle for both North America and Africa I do wonder if the 1.7-10x42 might be better. I’m planning to hunt buffalo with it, but not elephants.

What say you all?

I have a Heym 89b sidelock in .375 H&H. It has a claw mounted Zeiss 1.5-4.5x18 scope which works fairly well on this rifle but I find that eye position relative to the scope is fairly critical and it’s a little finicky to quickly acquire the sight picture at times. I’m considering rescoping it with a Swarovski Z6i, the 1-6x24 seems to be the obvious choice. However, as a general purpose rifle for both North America and Africa I do wonder if the 1.7-10x42 might be better. I’m planning to hunt buffalo with it, but not elephants.

What say you all?
Can't imagine what I would hunt with a .375 on any continent where I would need more than 6X magnification. The Z6i is perfect for your rifle, and it gives you the equivalent at 1x of an aimpoint for a follow-up.

Z8 .75x6. Once you try it, you’ll understand

Can't imagine what I would hunt with a .375 on any continent where I would need more than 6X magnification. The Z6i is perfect for your rifle, and it gives you the equivalent at 1x of an aimpoint for a follow-up.
It’s not that I want more magnification, it’s that the 1.7-10x42 is significantly better in low light which I find to be very beneficial for deer, bear, plainsgame, etc.

I am a Nightforce guy. I was told by the owner of my local long range gun shop not to get Nightforces 1-8x and he is a pretty avid Nighforce guy also. That is why I am checking other options.

It’s not that I want more magnification, it’s that the 1.7-10x42 is significantly better in low light which I find to be very beneficial for deer, bear, plainsgame, etc.
Aesthetically the Z6i will fit the rifle much better IMHO. Also, a practical matter, the illuminated reticles in the scopes mitigate some of the advantage of the larger objective.

I have that scope on my 9.3x74R double and it worked great for my leopard and game out to 200 yards. I will also have the same scope on my .450/400 barrel.

I have a Z6i 1-6 already on my R8 .375 barrel, but I also need a scope for my R8 30-06 barrel.

I think I’ll grab a Z6i 1.7-10 since it’s on sale right now and put it on my R8 30-06 barrel. Then I can compare the two directly before deciding which scope to put on the double. As I’m using claw mounts I won’t easily be able to switch later so I may as well be sure before I commit.

I have a Z6i 1-6 already on my R8 .375 barrel, but I also need a scope for my R8 30-06 barrel.

I think I’ll grab a Z6i 1.7-10 since it’s on sale right now and put it on my R8 30-06 barrel. Then I can compare the two directly before deciding which scope to put on the double. As I’m using claw mounts I won’t easily be able to switch later so I may as well be sure before I commit.
Either is a good choice and I would not say that 10x is too much as a 375 loaded with 270 grain or lighter bullets can mimic 30-06 ballistics. And a 30-06 is capable of very long range.

An observation on that 1.7-10 is that the barrel of the scope is quite short so not as flexible in mounting. However with claw mounts you should be able to overcome that by mounting to the bell of the objective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdellAsche

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?