Transitioning To A Blaser R8 - A Two Months / 500 Rounds Review

Thank you, the only issue I had was with one particular scope and even with high mounts the base of the turret was barely allowing a sliver of light to pass. I solved the issue with two washers slim enough to allow the screws enough purchase to secure the scope. Thanks again.

Wonder why more don’t go with the fixed picatinny rails with QD scope mounts from Talley/Warne?

Thank you @One Day...

I’ve had no issue with swaro z6 scopes in 42 and 50mm objectives. They all fit the low mounts as planned. (Thank you Cove creek outfitters).

The only problem has been a pulsar Duo scope. The low mounts would not work for the center of the scope body, but easily fit with the front objective. It was an easy swap to exchange the low mount with the blocks for a high mount. (Again, kudos to Cove Creek for fixing that problem very quickly)

Recently, I’ve followed @BeeMaa and for rail mount Z8i scopes for the .375 and 9.3x62. That is an amazing system.

Wonder why more don’t go with the fixed picatinny rails with QD scope mounts from Talley/Warne?
The genius of the system is being able to remove the scope in seconds. I love being able to pull a scope off and put it in my pack for transport.
They really do return to zero. I was dubious. Then I used the system and experienced return to zero, over and over again, and now I know it is true!

Thank you @One Day...

I’ve had no issue with swaro z6 scopes in 42 and 50mm objectives. They all fit the low mounts as planned. (Thank you Cove creek outfitters).

The only problem has been a pulsar Duo scope. The low mounts would not work for the center of the scope body, but easily fit with the front objective. It was an easy swap to exchange the low mount with the blocks for a high mount. (Again, kudos to Cove Creek for fixing that problem very quickly)

Recently, I’ve followed @BeeMaa and for rail mount Z8i scopes for the .375 and 9.3x62. That is an amazing system.
The problem I experienced was with A Sig Sauer scope with blue tooth connected to a Kestrel. The package works amazingly well. I have four barrels, that scope is the only one that needed a bit of relief because of its involved system. It does work flawlessly at all ranges including extreme long range, therefore I didn't mind the minor inconvenience of adding a couple of washers under the scope.

The genius of the system is being able to remove the scope in seconds. I love being able to pull a scope off and put it in my pack for transport.
They really do return to zero. I was dubious. Then I used the system and experienced return to zero, over and over again, and now I know it is true!
So with picatinny rail and QD it would return to zero also. Rail is made by Blaser

I have the Picatinny rail, a large part of it covers the loading port which makes it inconvenient.
I can see that and was wondering. I’m super tall and I need my scope eyepiece back further than most. I like how the rail comes posterior farther than the saddle mount. Mine should arrive soon and I’ll take some pics. Good info!

That's the rail I have.
Right. Meant to reply to guy that said the beauty is taking it off quickly and return to zero. That should be same case with fixed Blaser rail and a quality QD mount/rings.

I actually thought “it looks like it covers the chamber for loading” and was interesting for you to say it does that in real life. Might be a no go for me to get better eye relief.

Right. Meant to reply to guy that said the beauty is taking it off quickly and return to zero. That should be same case with fixed Blaser rail and a quality QD mount/rings.
The bad thing about some of the rails is, they block the action from the top and would make top loading difficult. Also, when you remove the scope with regular Blaser mounts, it leaves the rifle clean, and there's nothing to impede the use of iron sights. But that's just my own opinion/preference. Some guys probably don't care to top load and/or use iron sights.

The bad thing about some of the rails is, they block the action from the top and would make top loading difficult. Also, when you remove the scope with regular Blaser mounts, it leaves the rifle clean, and there's nothing to impede the use of iron sights. But that's just my own opinion/preference. Some guys probably don't care to top load and/or use iron sights.
I agree with you which is why I never used the rail.

I actually thought “it looks like it covers the chamber for loading” and was interesting for you to say it does that in real life. Might be a no go for me to get better eye relief.
It does cover the chamber.

Great info. Thanks!

Yes, it does that in real life and there is nothing you can do about it. Shortening it would prevent you for affixing both rings of a scope. Its length covers the loading port. It can potentially interfere in a cartridge ejection and it certainly makes loading the magazine from the top, difficult. The rail is perhaps better used in competition where one has more time or at a shooting range but not in a hunting situation where it's important to be able to reload fast.

Blaser has engineered their rifles, scope mounts and scopes to work flawlessly when they are used together. They have made mounts for other scope companies because they only recently entered the scope market. Stepping outside of that has the potential to cause issues like poor access for top loading.

I'd highly recommend using a scope that has an integral rail mount. They are super easy to set up with no leveling required. I know they can be expensive, but most of us didn't get into shooting to save money.

Curiously I’ve just invested in a swaro z8i 1 - 8 x 24 rail mounted using the swaro rail mount

Something is not right as I run out of elevation on my .223 barrel @ 150m !!

I can only put it down to the claws not fitting in the barrel recess correctly giving the scope an uphill slant

Anyone else run into this?

Anyone else run into this?
Me, Yes, But not on Blaser.

My case was like this.
I had bought anschutz target rifle 22lr.
I wanted to stretch my shooting range a bit, and bought piccatiny rail with 20 moa inclination.
When I wanted to zero, I could zero on 100 mtr, but on 50 I was too high, ran out of clikcs.
I was hitting too high, and no more clicks down

VIsual inspection, before the installation was OK.
Scope was from another rifle, tested and proven.
Piccatiny rail was marked 20 MOA, with arrow facing fwd.
Rifle was factory brand new.

I had no clue. I suspected flaw in rifle.

I took everything to gunsmith.
He removed everything, and he first measured the thickness of the piccatiny rail forward and aft. By caliper.
As per measurement, factory made piccatiny rail had more then 40 moa slant, despite the factory declaration 20 moa.

He reduced (filed off) the inclination of the rail to proper 20 moa, and was all ok later.
That was my case.

Could a person use one scope and just have it documented where to adjust elevation and windage for each barrel. The hallmark of a high quality scope is repeatability and accurate clicks.
Has anyone tried it.

Having quality scopes on 3-5 barrels negates the benefits for me to just save on stock cost and space only.

Now if the scope moved barrel to barrel, now that is same real weight and cost savings.

One stock. One scope and multiple barrels. I hope this does not read as being negative. I love the idea of the platform.

No reason not to try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainbet4842

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Btw.... Brad Clemens took deposit money from Dy
. Brad was living in Great Falls as of a few months ago. He keeps running and hiding. Sound familiar. None of you posting have any idea what is really going on. Brad is a pathological liar. Don't believe any quote or anything that comes out of his mouth. He is a horrible person...1st hand knowledge and his name is toxic to many in the hunting world.
We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!

Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!