Transitioning To A Blaser R8 - A Two Months / 500 Rounds Review

Which reminds me ......

Way back in the summer of 1973 I went through Ranger School (successfully earning the tab I would note - the failure rate was pretty steep - but I digress). This was before the introduction of the MRE and we survived on canned C- Rations. The best way to heat them quickly was with a bit of C4 about the size of one's fingernail. So we became adept at stealing it during demolition training. In any case fast forward a couple of weeks to the mountain phase of the course. We had been having a miserable time running patrols for several days, and were enjoying a couple of hours break while evaluator teams traded out. I immediately lit up a bit of C4 and started heating a can of beanie weenies. All was well with the world, when our lookout announced the new evaluator team had arrived early. Because I was young, dumb, and uninformed I jumped up and decided to kick dirt over the bit of C4 to extinguish it and hide the evidence. :eek: :oops:o_O In demo class we had been taught the importance of damping our charges to achieve greater effect. To this day, I am certain no one mentioned anything about the effect of damping on burning C4. In any case, the resulting blast put me squarely on my can and scattered beanie weenies for a surprising blast radius like gooey shrapnel.

It is a minor miracle I merely had the dressing down of my young life and wasn't bounced out of the course to end up someone's supply officer. :A Shades::A Victory:
Mine was the summer of 94 after OCS by Infantry hall. Did you do mtn phase in Dahlonega too?
Elgin swamp phase. Darby queen...... so many things came rushing back reading your post.

Mine was the summer of 94 after OCS by Infantry hall. Did you do mtn phase in Dahlonega too?
Elgin swamp phase. Darby queen...... so many things came rushing back reading your post.
White play-doh . I think everybody took it

For sure - and I truly hated the mountains. I'll also never forget the unheated spring fed shower when back at base in Dahlonega. Swamp phase was a piece of cake in comparison. Felt like being back home in the duck marsh in South Louisiana.

I did a bit of R8 experimentation yesterday, preparing for my upcoming elephant hunt, with the 375 H&H barrel on board, wearing iron sights only. It was a hair raising close call, that ended with a charge at a meer 12 yards. It is indeed....a damned adequate armadillo caliber and rifle combination.

20210605_170839.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a bit of R8 experimentation yesterday, preparing for my upcoming elephant hunt, with the 375 H&H barrel on board, wearing iron sights only. It was a hair raising close call, that ended with a charge at a meer 12 yards. It is indeed....a damned adequate armadillo caliber and rifle combination.
Perfect post to a question you hopefully can answer . I’m sold on getting a Blaser and a R8 pro success since the ultimate does not come in left hand for either R8 nor K95. I was looking on here last night for African caliber barrels (the 375H&H) and there was one called a selious (spelling) that was obviously larger in diameter.
can I use any R8 barrel on a the receiver or is there restrictions. I’m planning on doing a trip to Africa year after next (2023) and want to get the rifle settled ASAP. Thanks for any advice.

Perfect post to a question you hopefully can answer . I’m sold on getting a Blaser and a R8 pro success since the ultimate does not come in left hand for either R8 nor K95. I was looking on here last night for African caliber barrels (the 375H&H) and there was one called a selious (spelling) that was obviously larger in diameter.
can I use any R8 barrel on a the receiver or is there restrictions. I’m planning on doing a trip to Africa year after next (2023) and want to get the rifle settled ASAP. Thanks for any advice.
You'll need a receiver that accepts the Safari profile barrels. The rifle I posted in the above picture has a semiweight contour barrel. The largest caliber available in semiweight is 375 H&H.

In the .375, the standard barrel makes up into a far more useful rifle (as do all the other sub .40 calibers). In my opinion, the heavier barrel profiles in .375 turn what should be a rifle with the carry dynamics of a 30-06 into something that feels more like a crew-served weapon.

Last edited:

As far as I know Blaser makes three tappers of barrels. The standard is 17mm at the muzzle, the semi is 19mm at the muzzle and the safari is at 22mm at the muzzle, except the .300 Selous barrel which is 19mm at the muzzle. The standard stock receivers are aluminum alloy and can handle all calibers but their barrel channels are made for the standard size barrels, which go up to .375H&H. The Safari stock receivers are steel and a little heavier.

If you wanted a standard stock receiver and a semi or safari barrel, I think Blaser will open the barrel channel for you. But you should check before purchasing.
Here is a link to Blaser 2021 catalog:
https://www.blaser.de/fileadmin/med..._Gesamtprogramm/BLA_Gesamtkatalog_2021_EN.pdf

Attachments

In the .375, the standard barrel makes up into a far more useful rifle (as do all the other sub .40 calibers). In my opinion, the heavier barrel profiles in .375 turn what should be a rifle with the carry dynamics of a 30-06 into something that feels more like a crew-served weapon.
I agree. This semiweight barrel, although being fluted, still weighs 6oz more than a standard weight barrel in 375. It is not overly heavy, but the extra weight is unnecessary. It does shoot well though, and gives the rifle a bit of barrel forward weight. The Jaeger stock receiver also weighs 6oz more than the standard professional model. This ends up being 8lbs 4oz bare rifle weight without a kickstop. So overall, my Jaeger with the fluted Semiweight barrel is 12oz heavier than a Professional with a standard weight barrel. Not bad for a 375, but I definitely wouldn't want it to weigh more.

To be maybe a bit more specific Spearhead and to build on Red Leg's post with which I agree.

R8 .375 H&H barrels come in 3 contours:
  1. "standard": 17 mm (0.67") diameter at the muzzle; 650 mm (25.6") long; 1,338 g (2 lbs. 15.2 oz.). These can be ordered with or without Blaser-type iron sights, and with or without fluting. A short version 580 mm (22.8") also exists. They currently cost ~$1,200 without flutes.
  2. "semi-weight": 19 mm (0.75") diameter at the muzzle; 650 mm (25.6") long; 1,708 g (3 lbs. 12.2 oz.). These can be ordered with or without Blaser-type iron sights, and with or without fluting. A short version 580 mm (22.8") also exists. They currently cost ~$2,200.
  3. "Selous": 22 mm (0.87") diameter at the muzzle); 600 mm (23.6") long; 1,842 g (4 lbs. 1 oz.). These are delivered with barrel-band front swivel stud and front sight, and express-type rear sight. They currently cost ~$3,200.
All 3 contours mount on the same "receivers" but the barrel channel in the stock (wood or polymer) must match the diameter of the barrel. Stocks adapted to standard or Selous profiles are sold by Blaser, but any stock with a standard channel can be easily widened (sand paper on an appropriate diameter dowel or broom stick) to accept a semi-weight (21 mm diameter at the forearm tip) or Selous barrel (22 mm diameter at the forearm tip). Blaser will do this for you, or you can do it yourself.

"Receivers" per se come in either alloy or steel. There is no mechanical strength difference. Any caliber barrel can be mounted on an alloy receiver, the only difference is stock weight. An alloy receiver Pro (polymer) stock weighs 1,472 g (3 lbs. 3.9 oz.). A steel receiver PH (polymer) stock weighs 2,056 g (4 lbs. 8.5 oz.). Alloy receiver Pro (polymer) stocks currently cost ~ $1,500, including trigger/magazine group but excluding a bolt housing (+ ~$500) and bolt head (+ ~$400). Steel receiver Pro (polymer) stocks currently cost ~ $4,500, including trigger/magazine group but also excluding a bolt housing (+ ~$500) and bolt head (+ ~$400).

Typically alloy receiver stocks come with a polymer trigger/magazine group that weights 82 g (2.9 oz.) while steel receiver stocks come with a steel & polymer trigger/magazine group that weights 196 g (6.9 oz.).

Note: I personally think that anything Blaser labelled "Selous", "PH" or anything Africa-related is ridiculously overpriced, but if you keep an eye on the used or de-stocking market, deals appear from time to time. For a while dealers discounted deeply their PH/Selous inventory to turn it around. For example, I paid $1,900 for my PH stock...

In summary an un-scoped .375 H&H R8 Pro (polymer stock) can be as light as 7 lbs. 7.7 oz. and as heavy as 10 lbs. 2.5 oz. Wood stocked R8 are a few ounces heavier than polymer stocked R8.

Add scope, mount and sling, and typically a "standard" barreled .375 H&H on alloy receiver stock weight ~9.5 lbs. and a Selous barreled .375 H&H on steel receiver stock weight ~12 lbs. A "semi-weight" barreled .375 H&H will be in-between depending on whether it uses an alloy receiver stock (~10 lbs.) or a steel receiver stock (~11.5 lbs.).

For those who want less recoil, two tungsten powder kickstop are available: a 12 oz. and a 16oz. It is matter of personal choice. I personally finds that the 12 oz. kickstop in the stock (mine happens to actually weigh 10.2 oz.) give the rifle a better balance - it tends to be muzzle heavy otherwise. and the 16 oz. (mine happens to actually weigh 17.6 oz.) is installed automatically by Blaser in the steel receiver polymer stocks. I assume folks who put a .500 Jeffery or .458 Lott barrel on these may appreciate it. In any case, it takes about 2 minutes to screw in or out a kickstop in a R8 polymer stock.

Edit: it looks like I was typing when dchamp and TOBY458 replied. Apologies for the repeats...

Last edited:
"An army runs on its stomach" - Napoleon

I am sure you would have been a great and very much appreciated supply officer. ;)
Unfrigging likely! :E Nono: Did have to play at being Assistant Division Commander for Support (ADCS) 4th Infantry Division for several months. Assistant Division Commander for Maneuver (ADCM) was infinitely more fun.

Was hoping @One Day... would reply to the OP. :A Way To Go:

Last edited:
To be maybe a bit more specific Spearhead and to build on Red Leg's post with which I agree.

R8 .375 H&H barrels come in 3 contours:
  1. "standard": 17 mm (0.67") diameter at the muzzle; 650 mm (25.6") long; 1,338 g (2 lbs. 15.2 oz.). These can be ordered with or without Blaser-type iron sights, and with or without fluting. A short version 580 mm (22.8") also exists. They currently cost ~$1,200 without flutes.
  2. "semi-weight": 19 mm (0.75") diameter at the muzzle; 650 mm (25.6") long; 1,708 g (3 lbs. 12.2 oz.). These can be ordered with or without Blaser-type iron sights, and with or without fluting. A short version 580 mm (22.8") also exists. They currently cost ~$2,200.
  3. "Selous": 22 mm (0.87") diameter at the muzzle); 600 mm (23.6") long; 1,842 g (4 lbs. 1 oz.). These are delivered with barrel-band front swivel stud and front sight, and express-type rear sight. They currently cost ~$3,200.
All 3 contours mount on the same "receivers" but the barrel channel in the stock (wood or polymer) must match the diameter of the barrel. Stocks adapted to standard or Selous profiles are sold by Blaser, but any stock with a standard channel can be easily widened (sand paper on an appropriate diameter dowel or broom stick) to accept a semi-weight (21 mm diameter at the forearm tip) or Selous barrel (22 mm diameter at the forearm tip). Blaser will do this for you, or you can do it yourself.

"Receivers" per se come in either alloy or steel. There is no mechanical strength difference. Any caliber barrel can be mounted on an alloy receiver, the only difference is stock weight. An alloy receiver Pro (polymer) stock weighs 1,472 g (3 lbs. 3.9 oz.). A steel receiver Pro (polymer) stock weighs 2,056 g (4 lbs. 8.5 oz.). Alloy receiver Pro (polymer) stocks currently cost ~ $1,500, including trigger/magazine group but excluding a bolt housing (+ ~$500) and bolt head (+ ~$400). Steel receiver Pro (polymer) stocks currently cost ~ $4,500, including trigger/magazine group but also excluding a bolt housing (+ ~$500) and bolt head (+ ~$400).

Typically alloy receiver stocks come with a polymer trigger/magazine group that weights 82 g (2.9 oz.) while steel receiver stocks come with a steel & polymer trigger/magazine group that weights 196 g (6.9 oz.).

In summary an un-scoped .375 H&H R8 Pro (polymer stock) can be as light as 7 lbs. 7.7 oz. and as heavy as 10 lbs. 2.5 oz. Wood stocked R8 are a few ounces heavier than polymer stocked R8.

Add scope, mount and sling, and typically a "standard" barreled .375 H&H on alloy receiver stock weight ~9.5 lbs. and a Selous barreled .375 H&H on steel receiver stock weight ~12 lbs. A "semi-weight" barreled .375 H&H will be in-between depending on whether it uses an alloy receiver stock (~10 lbs.) or a steel receiver stock (~11.5 lbs.).

For those who want less recoil, two tungsten powder kickstop are available: a 12 oz. and a 16oz. It is matter of personal choice. I personally finds that the 12 oz. kickstop in the stock (mine happens to actually weigh 10.2 oz.) give the rifle a better balance - it tends to be muzzle heavy otherwise. and the 16 oz. (mine happens to actually weigh 17.6 oz.) is installed automatically by Blaser in the steel receiver polymer stocks. I assume folks who put a .500 Jeffery or .458 Lott barrel on these may appreciate it. In any case, it takes about 2 minutes to screw in or out a kickstop in a R8 polymer stock.

Edit: it looks like I was typing when dchamp and TOBY458 replied. Apologies for the repeats...
Thank you for clarification. I had originally misunderstood what was plainly outlined on the Blaser website last night because I have a special talent of overthinking .

Do not feel bad, MOST IF NOT ALL of us were initially befuddled by the complexity of the Blaser offering :E Rofl: and it triggered endless perplexed threads :A Gathering:

I don’t know, I think you need to upgrade to the .500 J barrel. The .375 barely stopped that armadillo.

Unfrigging likely! :E Nono: Did have to play at being Assistant Division Commander for Support (ADCS) 4th Infantry Division for several months. Assistant Division Commander for Maneuver (ADCM) was infinitely more fun.

Was hoping @One Day... would reply to the OP. :A Way To Go:
He'd have been a terrible (and probably personally miserable) supply officer. Too many color-coded spreadsheets and decision matrixes. :LOL:

I don't think this is hijacking the OPs thread but if it is, please shout and I'll start yet another thread on the R8.

I'm a "details" guy and am very seriously considering a Blaser. I was sold on the R8 "system" after using one in the UK stalking deer for 5 days. I've been over the Blaser website dozens of times and used the build your own Blaser a bunch of times. I have found the whole educational process fairly overwhelming. These threads have been very helpful - I read everything and then head back over to the Blaser site and every time it becomes a little less overwhelming. Which is good.

I think I've settled on a Pro Savannah (alloy) as my stock/receiver of choice. I'd like to have a caliber for plainsgame, pronghorn, whitetails, etc (something 6.5 to 7mm), a 300 WM, and a 375H&H. My current dilemma is this: What barrel profile, and thus, what barrel channel in the stock? I'd like the standard 17mm barrel profile for the "deer" caliber, but I'm leaning towards a fluted semi-weight for the 300WM and a semi-weight for the 375. Obviously that would mean the standard barrel would have more clearance than necessary. Do I "need" the semi-weight in 375?

I'd love a 280 AI barrel as my "deer" caliber since I already have all of the reloading accoutrements and am a big fan of the caliber. But I'd need a custom barrel obviously.

Much to @Red Leg horror, I may end up shooting each of the 3 barrels suppressed. :oops: So I think the standard 25.6" is too long. Also, my experience with suppressed rifles is that shorter/heavier barrels seem to be more accurate and consistent when suppressed.

Thoughts?

My preference are the standard 17mm barrels across the board including both the .300 WM and .375 H&H. I see no advantage by adding unnecessary weight. The only barrels I have that are not 17mm at the muzzle are the Selous barrels. The .300 WM Selous is semi weight,19mm at the muzzle. I find this barrel ungainly compared to the standard 17mm barrel when mated to a standard Pro stock. I also have the .300 WM & .375 H&H in standard barrels. They do not leave me wanting.

But hey that's just me, others may think different.

My preference are the standard 17mm barrels across the board including both the .300 WM and .375 H&H. I see no advantage by adding unnecessary weight. The only barrels I have that are not 17mm at the muzzle are the Selous barrels. The .300 WM Selous is semi weight,19mm at the muzzle. I find this barrel ungainly compared to the standard 17mm barrel when mated to a standard Pro stock. I also have the .300 WM & .375 H&H in standard barrels. They do not leave me wanting.

But hey that's just me, others may think different.
I agree, wouldn’t want my 375 barrel any heavier than the standard profile. I've shot hundreds of rounds through it by now, close to a thousand, I’d say, and recoil wise it’s fine.

I agree, wouldn’t want my 375 barrel any heavier than the standard profile. I've shot hundreds of rounds through it by now, close to a thousand, I’d say, and recoil wise it’s fine.
Thank you and @dchamp . Standard it is. Blaser decisions are like bringing home a giant paint swatch chart and asking the boss for her to pick one color. ..... just saying ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevin375

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?