Trade 470 Double Rifle for a Rolex?

Keep us informed on how it goes.

I think this is a great idea and have liked trading things since grade school! Its much more fun and there is also a satisfaction in having some idea of the next person to enjoy the thing you last owned!

We could establish ground rules like there are for classified such as stated trade value, location, etc?

@WyoBull Those are nice! I may be undermining my own potential deal, but @Ruraldoc had expressed preference for a two tone watch. if you’re looking for a nice 470, it might be worth talking to him. We are discussing for his gun, but if he would rather have a watch like yours, I would rather have him get something he prefers.

@WyoBull Those are nice! I may be undermining my own potential deal, but @Ruraldoc had expressed preference for a two tone watch. if you’re looking for a nice 470, it might be worth talking to him. We are discussing for his gun, but if he would rather have a watch like yours, I would rather have him get something he prefers.

No, not at all and iI did not intend to mess up your deal with him. I am not in the market for a DR and was just commenting that I liked the concept you laid out there and that maybe one day I would do something with my Submariner.
Don’t let me get in your way of a good barter!

Those are nice! I may be undermining my own potential deal, but @Ruraldoc had expressed preference for a two tone watch. if you’re looking for a nice 470 might be worth talking to him. We are discussing for his gun, but if he would rather have a watch like yours, I would rather have him get something he prefers.
No, not at all and iI did not intend to mess up your deal with him. I am not in the market for a DR and was just commenting that I liked the concept you laid out there and that maybe one day I would do something with my Submariner.
Don’t let me get in your way of a good barter!
thanks! I think we should set up a category for this kind of thing? It could be fun!

I love the barter economy. Nothing pleases my inner capitalist more than an exchange between a willing buyer and a willing seller….with the government knowing nothing about it or skimming any taxes!

Unfortunately, I acquired my one and only Rolex from a street vendor in Manila. I wouldn’t even string-fire a double that had the same value as that piece of Asian workmanship! It does look good though. Almost as good as the Breitling I bought from the same guy on my second trip to the Philippines.

Those are nice! I may be undermining my own potential deal, but @Ruraldoc had expressed preference for a two tone watch. if you’re looking for a nice 470 might be worth talking to him. We are discussing for his gun, but if he would rather have a watch like yours, I would rather have him get something he prefers.

thanks! I think we should set up a category for this kind of thing? It could be fun!
totally agree

Africa hunting should consider a “looking to trade” category
We could come up with a simple outline format that everyone can follow such as:

1. What do you have for trade, including proposed value
2. What are you looking to acquire in exchange
3. Are you open to adding or receiving cash to make a deal
4. Where are you located

Last edited:
One of my buddies read this thread and sent me this meme:
Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 6.18.59 PM.jpeg

I am happy to report that @Ruraldoc and I negotiated an agreement to trade my Rolex Explorer II (still under warranty, complete with box and papers) for an '87 Merkel 470 with a Trijicon Reddot (previously owned by @Rare Breed and sold on this site). We estimated the values to be close to even. The Rolex was shipped out today, and @Ruraldoc expects to ship the rifle out early next week.

Not only was it a valuable transaction for both of us, I was able to make a great friend! In fact, through this process I have established good friendships with several others, such as @Mtn_Infantry and @rhoward252. Im sure these friendships will be more valuable in the long run than any single trade item! I have learned a lot from all of them, and greatly appreciate the extra time they took to talk with me about their experiences in Africa and with big bore doubles. Ironically, a couple of them have both recently hunted with the outfitter that I am scheduled to hunt with in April 2025.

For a point of reference for anyone else looking to do such a trade, I provided @Ruraldoc with the name and business information for the dealer from which I bought the watch he is receiving. The dealer was kind enough to talk to @Ruraldoc and confirm the authenticify of the watch, as well as my long standing purchase history with him. It was a good way to provide a "reference" so to speak and verification of the authenticity of watch (at least as of when I purchased it - of course, I havent made any modificactions, but the dealer couldnt attest to that).

Watches are much easier to counterfeit that firearms so additional verification is both important and rational. If there is any concerns or doubts, have a dealer open it up and verify the movement as well as the case and accessories.

Anyway, I just wanted to provide this update and thank everyone who supported this small endeavor. I hope that there are more opportunities for members to trade and enjoy the valuables many of us have collected!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Now my only dilemma is what watch to wear on my upcoming African safari - I just traded the watch I was planning to wear!
I stand by my comments regarding the Sea Dweller from the day your son was born or another meaningful watch you won’t get rid of.

You only get one first trip to Africa, and knowing you’re someone who uses watches to commemorate special occasions or events this is just another way to add more meaning to an already special watch.

I stand by my comments regarding the Sea Dweller from the day your son was born or another meaningful watch you won’t get rid of.

You only get one first trip to Africa, and knowing you’re someone who uses watches to commemorate special occasions or events this is just another way to add more meaning to an already special watch.
Great advice

Anybody near Tennessee that would allow me to just look and touch a Rolex? lol. I prefer it's trashier cousin, the Timex

Superficial at first blush, this thread sheds strong light on the entire concept of "African Safari". What is it worth? What watch would you wear? I want the REAL Africa of yore. But do they have WIFI? Last night I dreamed I was confronting a wounded dagga boy......shot in the right hip by the anemic and oft condemned 458 WM. As he approached, slowly looking, smelling and eventually sighted me....nose straight out, then head dropped and charged. Alas, I had traded my Merkel for a Rolex Yacht Master. Woke up in a sweat afterward................GLWS or trade. ....................FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RossAlcala

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

the best gear
  • Accurate Powders
  • Alliant Powder
  • Hodgdon Powder
  • RAMSHOT
  • Winchester Powders
  • Winchester
  • CCI
  • Federal
  • Remington
  • .458 Caliber
  • 10MM
  • 270 Caliber
  • 7MM
  • 8MM
  • 9MM
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.