Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA - Big Bore Association of South Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
212712.jpg

So this funny thing happened to me yesterday walk into my local gunshop and the two guys behind the counter are super friendly and I know something is up!!
They pull a brand new stainless 25-06 Howa 1500 with Hogue stock almost like above from the shelf and show it to me I said so what??

Then they tell me look at the price tag I had to look twice and could not belive the price tag. Told them listen guys 1 April is way gone by now then they start giggling like school girls.
So I ask what the hell is going on?
So the agent for Howa was geting rid of old stock that is not selling in calibres that is not moving in South Africa and 25-06 being one of them.
So what was the price?$440 for a brand new stainless rifle they got hold of 3 in the shop and the guys behind the counter took one each and they said I really need to take this one.

So with some very fast argument time with myself with pros and con I gave in and told them put my name on that one.

So here's my argument to meself.

Its light rifle easy to handle and carry up mountains.
I don't own a specific all weather rifle! That was a a big Pro!
This can shoot 120gr pills to around 3000fps perfect for longer shot and especially in mountains for the mountain species, Vaalie, mountain reedbuck and klipspringer as well as monkeys and baboons. Outperforms a 243 Win with 100gr bullets especially considering wind.
Then for flat areas springbuck, Blesbuck, Black wildebeest and gemsbuck. Wit a proper premium bullets it will take large game.

Yes I own a 6.5x55 but actually thats my son's rifle and also a 204 Ruger but that for varminting and just fun shooting.

So in the end I won the argument to myself if that makes any sense.

Basically my 7x57 was going to be my mountain rifle but with it being so great with the 160gr bullets at 2600fps in bushveld I'll stick to that and then go down to the 120gr bullet with the 25-06.

I'm going to top it with the same Zerotech scope 4-16 x 50 with Mildot as on my 7x57 which is great glass for the price.

Now for the long wait for firstly all the paperwork to get together for a new rifle license and secondly waiting for approval.
But that give time to get DIES, Brass and bullets together.

So what can you tell me about the 25-06 from your experience and you own???

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite calibers. It is Whitetail lighting! Something about that 115-117 gr bullet doing 3100-3200 fps.The quarter bores are so underrated. So very flat shooting. I've actually heard more South Africans pay respect to the 25-06 than Americans, especially for cull springbok and impala.

Now, as far as for larger plains game, I'm sure it can do the job but I personally would use something larger on a gemsbok etc. Plenty of elk have been dropped with the 06 but as we know African animals have one hell of an ability to take lots of lead and keep going.

Welcome to the Quarter Bore Club!

I love mine. A number of years ago I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard in .25-06 that could be your rifles twin brother, except in blue steel, but then Howa makes the Vanguard line for Weatherby.

I load it up to 3300 fps with Barnes TTSX 100 grain bullets and it shoots fantastic. I have taken a number of mule deer along with my coues buck at 420 yards with that loading.

The gun shop that I picked it up from gave me a box of Hornady 115 gran bullets to try out and it shoots them quite well also.

I’ve been a huge fan of the .25/06 for years in both rifles and handguns. Taken groundhogs, coyotes, whitetails, mule deer and pronghorn with them. Back in the 1980’s I had a #1 that loved the 117gr Sierra SBT. My most recent was a Rem 700 LR that was spooky accurate with Barnes TSX 100 and 115gr. The TC Encore handgun is deadly with the now discontinued 100gr Hornady SPT. Fortunately I have a stash of these.
I like the .25’s.… A LOT! In addition to the .25/06, I have a Roberts and just added a .257 Wby barrel for my Blaser last week.
You made a great choice.

I’m a big fan of the 25-06. I use mine regularly on whitetail deer and wild pigs here at home. Preforms great. I use the Hornady Whitetail 117 grain interlocks for ammo. Has done everything I’ve wanted it to do on this sized game.

I used a .25-06 from age 12 to age 19. After that, many times since. This is a wonderful cartridge for deer sized game. Perfect up to blesbok, or even slightly bigger. Possible on everything up to kudu, with premium bullets and a good rifleman. Fun to carry. Very little recoil. The only issue (with almost all quarter-bores) is that most factory barrel twists are for fairly light bullets.

As @ Lone Star Bluegrass stated, don’t overlook the 115gr Barnes TSX. Barnes recommends a 1-9” twist or faster. However, it is one of the more accurate bullets in my Roberts and .5” groups weren’t unusual in the .25/06 Remington. Both rifles have 1-10” twist. Additionally, the 115gr performs well on game.

Can I just say that I am glad you won that argument.
Congratulations on a bargain and you have collared an All Weather rifle.
I do own a .25-06 synthetic Blued Tikka that I got for a nice price because they don’t sell well in Australia. Those who have them love them and their performance but I must admit I pulled the barrel to have my .280a.i built on the action

View attachment 622015

So this funny thing happened to me yesterday walk into my local gunshop and the two guys behind the counter are super friendly and I know something is up!!
They pull a brand new stainless 25-06 Howa 1500 with Hogue stock almost like above from the shelf and show it to me I said so what??

Then they tell me look at the price tag I had to look twice and could not belive the price tag. Told them listen guys 1 April is way gone by now then they start giggling like school girls.
So the agent for Howa was geting rid of old stock that is not selling in calibres that is not moving in South Africa and 25-06 being one of them.
So what was the price?$440 for a brand new stainless rifle they got hold of 3 in the shop and the guys behind the counter took one each and they said I really need to take this one.

So with some very fast argument time with myself with pros and con I gave in and told them put my name on that one.

This can shoot 120gr pills to around 3000fps perfect for longer shot and especially in mountains for the mountain species, Vaalie, mountain reedbuck and klipspringer as well as monkeys and baboons. Outperforms a 243 Win with 100gr bullets especially considering wind.
Then for flat areas springbuck, Blesbuck, Black wildebeest and gemsbuck. Wit a proper premium bullets it will take large game.

Yes I own a 6.5x55 but actually thats my son's rifle and also a 204 Ruger but that for varminting and just fun shooting.

Basically my 7x57 was going to be my mountain rifle but with it being so great with the 160gr bullets at 2600fps in bushveld I'll stick to that and then go down to the 120gr bullet with the 25-06.

I'm going to top it with the same Zerotech scope 4-16 x 50 with Mildot as on my 7x57 which is great glass for the price.

Now for the long wait for firstly all the paperwork to get together for a new rifle license and secondly waiting for approval.

I have had a love affair with it for over 40 years. Kills way beyond what you would think. As others have said, 120 grain partitions and you are set for many game animals in a low recoiling package. I can't image life without one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Monday we will double check the barrel twist on the rifles at the shop and then the search for bullets and cases will start.

I take it IMR4350 and similar is the powder to us to load on this calibre?

Thanks all it was a tough intense argument but glad it worked out.

Nice thing with that cartridge is all you need to do is to neck size 30-06 cases and you are good to go if you can't find any .25-06 ones.

Powder wise I am using RL22 in mine.

Monday we will double check the barrel twist on the rifles at the shop and then the search for bullets and cases will start.

I take it IMR4350 and similar is the powder to us to load on this calibre?

Thanks all it was a tough intense argument but glad it worked out.

H4831SC will be your friend in this cartridge.

For Impala sized plains game, it would be hard to find a better cartridge. I've only used the 100 grain Barnes X in .257 cal, but on that type of game I think the Nosler Partition in the 100 and 115 grain would be very effective.

One word of caution though, the 25-06 can be hard on barrels, so allow plenty of time to cool between shot strings.

The 257WBY is the big brother to the 25-06 and both have an incredible history in Africa.

The best thing about the 25-06 is it's "right sized" case where it doesn't shoot a two foot flame out the end of the barrel like the Weatherby...not to mention the added recoil. You made a good decision.

The 25-06 with 100 grain Barnes TTSX has the ability to take all manner of PG, up to and including eland and giraffe with proper shot placement. Insert frozen herring joke here.

Is a .257 caliber ideal for this? IMO - I'd like something a little bigger for the larger PG species, but if you are well practiced theres no reason you can't use it.

I also relied on Reloader 22 in the 2506.

American gun writer John Barness is also a fan of the 25-06. He wrote about using 120 grain Remington Core Lokts on a cull hunt and being very impressed with the results on game. He was reviewing a Heym straight pull bolt action at the time in Europe.

View attachment 622015

@Frederik: I have owned a .25-06 for 20 years and like that round (mine is Ruger MII w/24” barrel, LH, & walnut stock). My rifle is Not light weight, as the barrel contour is fairly heavy but it is very accurate - 3/4” MOA w/most factory loads and holds accuracy well out to 300 yards using 110, 115, & 117 gr bullets. I used it mainly for Mule Deer & Antelope hunts in Wyoming but also took Black bear and whitetail deer in NY And Caribou in Quebec (although a .22LR can kill a Caribou !!). I know Hunters have taken Elk and Moose with the .25-06 but it is on the light side for Elk. I think for what you describe “light rifle for small & medium size plains game” it is fine. Bullet placement and bullet construction is far more important then caliber.
What surprised me a bit about the .25-06 was it’s recoil - which is very manageable but not much less then a .270 and significantly more then a .243. I always chose to shoot the heavier bullets (117 gr) and always factory loads as accuracy was very good. Don’t “Over think it” - if you like the gun, shoot it well, and find accurate loads with good bullets….Enjoy a Great Hunt !!

Took a Scimitar Oryx and three warthogs with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotLeinad

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt