RobBrown505

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
AOPA
Hunted
United States, Argentina, Canada, Limpopo, New Zealand
Now, first off, I don’t want to give anyone any ideas! To be honest I’m a little hesitant to post this.

I was talking with a PH and I was honestly taken aback when he told me this but I am a bit gullible and treat people fairly, just as I expect to be treated. So, as we all know, It is normal for clients to hunt a package or otherwise commit to a pricing schedule prior to the hunt and then add what Africa provides above that and, in doing so, can run up a very large bill. Think groups with a tally totaling 6 figures. Or, sometimes the agreement is for a large number of animals in the first place with no add-ons. Then, when settling the bill, now the haggling starts. They expect that since they are paying so much they deserve a serious discount. Now, my mind just doesn’t work that way; it just seems dishonest. This PH I was talking to said it is fairly common and the debate gets pretty heated at times.

That’s not how I want to bookend my experience.

I guess they feel that the fun is over and they will never see them again so nothing to lose and maybe a little to gain.

Is this as common as I was led to believe? I can’t imagine an outfit capitulating.

Is this common with all outfitters everywhere or just Africa? Would be good to hear from some PH’s. Do any of you anticipate this happening ahead of time?

Personally, I think this practice is in extremely poor taste and I hope I haven’t just exacerbated the problem.

I've always paid the agreed-to price that was inherent in the contract. I would never expect a discount just because I shot more animals. I agree with @BRICKBURN poor taste.

When I show up at the lodge, first thing we go to the range and check my guns for zero. Then have dinner. Then we sit down and talk the objectives of this safari. The lodge owner gives me a price on an animal. If I agree, it gets jotted on the trophy sheet. Next animal, etc. If while hunting, something else pops up and I'm interested, the PH will either know what the price would be or he will call and get a quote. Then it goes on the list when we get back to the lodge. I don't haggle. If I don't like the price we move on. Remember, the trophies aren't coming with you. Jack the lodge owner around during the final pay out and maybe your trophies will disappear. Or the hair slips on the capes. Oops.

This all started when I told my PH that another hunter was always asking me what I paid—right in the middle of me telling him about the hunt. Another example of poor taste. I didn’t share but apparently he was/could have been fishing for ammunition to bargain with as my quoted price may be lower than his.

This all started when I told my PH that another hunter was always asking me what I paid—right in the middle of me telling him about the hunt. Another example of poor taste. I didn’t share but apparently he was/could have been fishing for ammunition to bargain with as my quoted price may be lower than his.

That happens a lot, my standard line is here is the PHs info. He will treat you right, tell him I sent you.

Of all the people I have gave that info to, maybe one person actually followed up.

The haggle should happen way before the trigger is even pulled.

You don't use a vehicle for a month before you decide on a price.

I absolutely despise haggling. Whether I'm buying or selling, there is a fixed price and it stays firm. I would never ever ask for a discount AFTER the hunt.

Hello RobBrown505,

My South African friend and safari company owner, Hannes Swanepoel, once told me that USA wealthy people and European wealthy people are consistently the most likely to demand a lower price than what is listed in plain English, within Hannes’s web site.
Likewise, they are the most stingy with tips, including not even tipping at all, not even one penny.

Conversely, typical “blue collar” workers (brick layers, truck drivers, welders, etc., etc.,) are usually the happiest at the conclusion of a hunting safari and the most generous with tips.
My presumption on this cultural quirk is that some (not all) wealthy folks are arrogant and seem to believe that us “common folk” were created to serve them.
Perhaps it is because Mumsie & Dadsie always treated their employees as beasts of burden so, precious little Prince Fontleroy grows up to suffer the same, pompous personality disorder.

My experiences with 7 times to Africa (South Africa and Namibia) plus, about half that many guided hunts in N. America is that, if I am easy to get along with and demand nothing, many times safari company owners are always more than fare with me.
Plus, once in a while, they are even very generous, beyond what I feel I deserve.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Really? Some guy around the lodge campfire actually did that? What a turd! No class at all. I'm afraid I would have told him so to his face.

Hello RobBrown505,

My South African friend and safari company owner, Hannes Swanepoel, once told me that USA wealthy people and European wealthy people are consistently the most likely to demand a lower price than what is listed in plain English, within Hannes’s web site.
Likewise, they are the most stingy with tips, including not even tipping at all, not even one penny.

Conversely, typical “blue collar” workers (brick layers, truck drivers, welders, etc., etc.,) are usually the happiest at the conclusion of a hunting safari and the most generous with tips.
My presumption on this cultural quirk is that some (not all) wealthy folks are arrogant and seem to believe that us “common folk” were created to serve them,
perhaps it is because mumsy & dadsy always treated their employees as beasts of burden so, precious little Prince Fontleroy grows up to suffer the same
pompous personality disorder.

My experiences with 7 times to Africa (South Africa and Namibia) plus, about half that many guided hunts in N. America is that, if I am easy to get along with and demand nothing, many times safari company owners are always more than fare with me.
Plus, once in a while, they are even very generous, beyond what I feel I deserve.

Cheers,
Velo Dog
Thanks, @Velo Dog. I’m blessed to not be burdened with excessive wealth. And a mother that taught me how to act with the occasional assistance of the old wooden spoon!

I absolutely despise haggling. Whether I'm buying or selling, there is a fixed price and it stays firm. I would never ever ask for a discount AFTER the hunt.
I always got firm prices when I talked to the outfitter before booking a hunt. The total for the hunt was emailed to me or we discussed it over the phone. There was no haggling, negotiating or trying to get something else. Also, it was understood by both of us that if I wanted a target of opportunity not on my list the price was settled before we hunted that animal.
Doing business this way eliminated any misunderstandings, hidden charges or questions.

Really? Some guy around the lodge campfire actually did that? What a turd! No class at all. I'm afraid I would have told him so to his face.
Yup, literally mid sentence. So, we were creeping up real slow—What did you pay for that!?

Haggling after the fact is peak poor. Always get the best deal you can beforehand, sure, but then tip up to the original amount (and more) after an amazing trip. They'll remember you.

A good name is more desirable than riches and greed doesn't look good on anybody

I have been on both sides of this as an outfitter, guide and resort owner for over 20 years. I have only had the experience of two RSA safaris but no mater witch side of the table you sit gentlemen don’t haggle they discuss and reach agreement before services are rendered. Yes I have had those whom complain as I was in charge of weather or conditions in the bush or the quarry was the wrong size or type. But we also had people lie cheat and steal and even pull out in the night and skip bill. Word gets around and they pay a price in the long haul. Prices and services agreed upon are just that and those prone to wanting to know someone else’s busIness make for damn poor camp companions and are not welcome back. These people often asked for openings the following year and we would have only bookings for the month after we closed

I have been on both sides of this as an outfitter, guide and resort owner for over 20 years. I have only had the experience of two RSA safaris but no mater witch side of the table you sit gentlemen don’t haggle they discuss and reach agreement before services are rendered. Yes I have had those whom complain as I was in charge of weather or conditions in the bush or the quarry was the wrong size or type. But we also had people lie cheat and steal and even pull out in the night and skip bill. Word gets around and they pay a price in the long haul. Prices and services agreed upon are just that and those prone to wanting to know someone else’s busIness make for damn poor camp companions and are not welcome back. These people often asked for openings the following year and we would have only bookings for the month after we closed
Absolutely stunned to hear that. It’s criminal!

You haggle before not after period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamlanno48

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]