Tipping Guide

I browsed through this forum and didn't see much if any about observers tipping staff.

Here are our trip details and my initial thoughts on tips:

2 hunters and 2 observers headed to RSA for a 7 day plains game hunt.

Tracker = $50 per hunter, $100 total
Driver = $50 per hunter, $100 total
Skinner = $50 per hunter, $100 total
Cook = $25 per person, $100 total
Server = $25 per person, $100 total
Maid = $25 per person, $100 total
Laundry = $25 per person, $100 total

Now the question is the PH! $150 per day per hunter would be a total of $2100. Or do we take the base cost of the trip $3000 plus fees for additional game harvested estimated at $7000, for a total of $10,000...and then take a % of that?

Cook deserves way more

For an American, tips to PH are always in USD. For staff it really depends on the outfitter. It would be best to ask how they prefer tipping for staff. Most outfitters will exchange USD to local currency for them and some staff will have access to exchange it themselves. If you want to give a small tip to farm hand for a farm you only hunt on one day, better to have some local currency for that.
I have had requests from staff and especially that farm hand you only spend a few hours with while on that specific farm, asking for local currency. They felt they were being ripped off... i.e. you give them $10 and they ask their employer to exchange it and they get 10 Rand! What is that something like 5 to 10% of the value?!

I see it as a very positive sign when the Outfitter or PH gets the staff together and you can tip them personally. Or when it comes time to tip and you are instructed to "give it to them yourself" A former (banned for several years now) Sponsor on here asked that all tips be given too him so he could "save it up for them"..... That turns into a lot Loodt over time ;)

In Tanzania with 21 support people in camp, they were all brought into the dining hall and they lined up and shook hands one at a time. Very graciously. They all earned their tips and worked hard to make it an experience of a lifetime. They had even thrown a Birthday party for me with cake! Which I saw to it that everyone got a piece albeit a small one with 25 people total! I really don't think they expected cake but that whole camp was special:)

I like the idea of handing out tips personally, my first trip the owner and he handed out little pieces of paper to each person telling them how much it was while they were lined up. makes me wonder since probably most of them could not read how much he really gave them. he said he gives out small amounts so they don't go and get drunk.

Only if the client/s are happy with the meals. Otherwise the cook won‘t deserve a cent.

The question would not arise for me. If I come, @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS will give the cook a week off anyway.

What percentage of camp staff income comes from tips?

Hard to say
Depends on how mamy hunts are done and how much the tips are
It can vary quite substantially
Tips can vary from almost zero to a really high amount

Is there anything wrong with Tipping "as services happen"?

EX: 7 day stay at the lodge and each day after Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner I'm able to have a 1 on 1 with the Cook, so I Tip the cook over and over (after every meal/snack/anything the cook prepares). The same applies to all other personnel on site including the PH (obviously) I just chose the cook for this example.

Is this wrong? or Is this better?

Is there anything wrong with Tipping "as services happen"?

EX: 7 day stay at the lodge and each day after Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner I'm able to have a 1 on 1 with the Cook, so I Tip the cook over and over (after every meal/snack/anything the cook prepares). The same applies to all other personnel on site including the PH (obviously) I just chose the cook for this example.

Is this wrong? or Is this better?
That’s just not the way tipping is done. I’d think most outfitters would discourage it. It might even be confusing to staff or disappointing on last day when they don’t receive a lump sum tip as they are accustomed to. Tipping on a hunt is more a reflection of the overall hunt than day by day service.

That’s just not the way tipping is done. I’d think most outfitters would discourage it. It might even be confusing to staff or disappointing on last day when they don’t receive a lump sum tip as they are accustomed to. Tipping on a hunt is more a reflection of the overall hunt than day by day service.
I agree wholeheartedly with @375Fox. Once I get to camp and settle in, my paperwork and cash gets locked in my gun case and that's where it stays until the final day when I am paying for my hunt and sorting out a tip with the help of the PH or outfitter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YasminMans

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.