DillonG

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
None
Well the time has finally come to retire my trusty Fred Bear Truth 2. I have restrung that bow countless times and put new accessories on it 3 times. It’s getting old. I’m starting to not have confidence in the limbs. So, question for the avid bow hunters. Catch me up to speed on the new bows on the market. I’m in a flexible budget, meaning I can go over $1k for a naked bow. I have been doing a lot of review reading, but the forum seems to get me the best answers.

For perspective I only want a compound. Primarily for whitetail out of a stand. Not looking to backpack in the western states with a bow any time soon.

I’m in a similar position to yours-except I am left handed and my bow still has some life in it. But I haven’t had a new one for over a decade and the changes are fascinating. Explained it to my wife this way while test firing some at scheels-“A tv is still a tv but ten years of tech has changed things an awful lot!”
I’ll follow with interest . . .

Add me to the watching this thread list. Due to shoulder problems a few years ago I had to resort to a crossbow to use during our archery season. I'm looking for a compound bow that I can use and to keep from selling the archery paraphernalia I've collected over the years.

Well the time has finally come to retire my trusty Fred Bear Truth 2. I have restrung that bow countless times and put new accessories on it 3 times. It’s getting old. I’m starting to not have confidence in the limbs. So, question for the avid bow hunters. Catch me up to speed on the new bows on the market. I’m in a flexible budget, meaning I can go over $1k for a naked bow. I have been doing a lot of review reading, but the forum seems to get me the best answers.

For perspective I only want a compound. Primarily for whitetail out of a stand. Not looking to backpack in the western states with a bow any time soon.
@DillonG - You’re looking for a ”compound” and mainly hunt “whitetail out of a stand”? your options are almost unlimited and thats as easy as bowhunting gets (I don’t include Crossbows in same category). I still use a 2005 Hoyt and although it is heavy, longer Axle to Axle length, and slow (270 fps) - I have great results, shoots very accurately out to my range limits of 35 yrds, great penetration (pass thrus). I can’t find a fact-based-reason to buy a New compound Bow. My thoughts for “change” are going in the opposite direction - want a Long Bow or Reflex Deflex, wood, one piece 62”-68” and draw weight of 45-50lbs. Match it with wood cedar arrows…. Would like to get back to traditional “Howard Hill” type bow hunting. Any deer taken with traditional wood bow &wood arrows = a TROPHY to ME!!

@DillonG - You’re looking for a ”compound” and mainly hunt “whitetail out of a stand”? your options are almost unlimited and thats as easy as bowhunting gets (I don’t include Crossbows in same category). I still use a 2005 Hoyt and although it is heavy, longer Axle to Axle length, and slow (270 fps) - I have great results, shoots very accurately out to my range limits of 35 yrds, great penetration (pass thrus). I can’t find a fact-based-reason to buy a New compound Bow. My thoughts for “change” are going in the opposite direction - want a Long Bow or Reflex Deflex, wood, one piece 62”-68” and draw weight of 45-50lbs. Match it with wood cedar arrows…. Would like to get back to traditional “Howard Hill” type bow hunting. Any deer taken with traditional wood bow &wood arrows = a TROPHY to ME!!
I can’t argue the trad bow route. Yes, you obviously have another level of difficulty. Therefore, any deer with trad bows are amazing. I appreciate the advancement in compound bows. I remember practicing pulling my dad’s compound he bought back in the 90s. A lot changed between his bow, and my first bow. Now, new bows have improved another level. Albeit, not as substantial based on speed, but certainly based on ease of use. I have no doubt that a trad bow is in my future. It is not this year.

My bow season is my only chance to bag a target buck. I pass on a ton of deer for about 4 weeks. Yes, I hunt out of a stand, primarily, as well. A new bow just adds to my excitement and my consistent Rincker if with equipment.

Add me to the watching this thread list. Due to shoulder problems a few years ago I had to resort to a crossbow to use during our archery season. I'm looking for a compound bow that I can use and to keep from selling the archery paraphernalia I've collected over the years.
Appreciate it! A lot of bows with amazing let-off percentages! My wife is using a crossbow this year. She is shooting the lights out with that thing. 50 yards is what we use for her baseline.

Appreciate it! A lot of bows with amazing let-off percentages! My wife is using a crossbow this year. She is shooting the lights out with that thing. 50 yards is what we use for her baseline.
@DillonG - do you equate a Crossbow with a Bow (either traditional or Compund?). I think the difference between a traditional wood Longbow and modern Compound bow is Closer then a Crossbow and ANY bow. A Compound Bow is closer to a rifle then a bow - in that within 40 yards there is a similar “functional accuracy” & and mostly because there is NO Movement required to shoot a Crossbow vs. a rifle - just slowly raise-aim-pull trigger. For me, the challenge of bow hunting is Not the closer distance often required but the “draw movement & slight sound”. Also “holding the draw” for 15-45+ seconds is much more difficult that just holding aim on a crossbow. I’m adequate with a compound bow and it’s still a challenge for me but want to try a “real bow” - wood long bow or reflex-deflex and cedar arrows. I know practice will need to be several times a week (if Not daily) and 100s of arrows a week to get “good” and even then 25 yrds might be a reasonable Max Range. But I want to try this before I get too old. I’m Not adverse to a Crossbow but consider it only to take advantage of the longer seasons offered and do Not consider it a Bow (Neither does Pope & Young). I would use it for Bear over bait as they often come in very last light and bow sight pins don’t work as well on a black animal in low light. I don’t mean to belittle cross bow hunters, it’s my opinion they should be legal but allowed during rifle or MZ seasons vs bow seasons. IMO..

I have been using Mathew’s bows for the last 15 years and really like them. My new one was bought last year and is the Phase4. I have been a bow tech in the past for several archery shops and have shot many different types of bows. I really like the feel of the back wall of a Mathew’s. Just remember that a longer bow while less mobile in the stand allows for a better brace height. I currently shoot a 33 inch bow out of blinds and stands hunting whitetail in KY. Enjoy your journey on getting a new bow and good luck hunting this fall.

33” is the perfect ATA for a compound bow.
I’ve also been looking at a new bow to replace my 2004 Mathews Switchback.
I’ve shot every new bow I could. The new Mathews and Bowtech are great. So are the Elites and PSE’s… but… the real sleepers are the Dartons!
Their Performance vs Cost is second to none!
Good luck with your search.

You need to go to a bow shop or two and shoot everything they have.

Speed doesn’t really matter, AT ALL for whitetails out of a tree stand!

Accuracy (forgiveness) always trumps everything else.

You need to find the most comfortable bow for you. One you don’t have to fight. One that shoots where you look and feels natural. One that you have confidence in.

@DillonG - do you equate a Crossbow with a Bow (either traditional or Compund?). I think the difference between a traditional wood Longbow and modern Compound bow is Closer then a Crossbow and ANY bow. A Compound Bow is closer to a rifle then a bow - in that within 40 yards there is a similar “functional accuracy” & and mostly because there is NO Movement required to shoot a Crossbow vs. a rifle - just slowly raise-aim-pull trigger. For me, the challenge of bow hunting is Not the closer distance often required but the “draw movement & slight sound”. Also “holding the draw” for 15-45+ seconds is much more difficult that just holding aim on a crossbow. I’m adequate with a compound bow and it’s still a challenge for me but want to try a “real bow” - wood long bow or reflex-deflex and cedar arrows. I know practice will need to be several times a week (if Not daily) and 100s of arrows a week to get “good” and even then 25 yrds might be a reasonable Max Range. But I want to try this before I get too old. I’m Not adverse to a Crossbow but consider it only to take advantage of the longer seasons offered and do Not consider it a Bow (Neither does Pope & Young). I would use it for Bear over bait as they often come in very last light and bow sight pins don’t work as well on a black animal in low light. I don’t mean to belittle cross bow hunters, it’s my opinion they should be legal but allowed during rifle or MZ seasons vs bow seasons. IMO..
I think you are conflating the thread. I do not equate a crossbow to any typical bow (trad or compound). My wife uses a crossbow. I prefer to use a compound. I am in the market for a compound.

You need to go to a bow shop or two and shoot everything they have.

Speed doesn’t really matter, AT ALL for whitetails out of a tree stand!

Accuracy (forgiveness) always trumps everything else.

You need to find the most comfortable bow for you. One you don’t have to fight. One that shoots where you look and feels natural. One that you have confidence in.
I agree. That is why I have loved my Truth 2 bow. Silky smooth draw, very nice back wall, and quiet. The speed thing is tempting. Kind of like the difference between a luxury car and a sports car.

Diamond Deploy SB. Picked up last season as a Temporary backup bow. Really impressed with it . 3.2 lb carbon riser Honestly for the money you can’t beat it. Bow tech makes them. With my short Draw length 27-1/2”. I still get 300 fps - 385 gr arrow. My buddy was so impressed with it he bought one also.

Diamond Deploy SB. Picked up last season as a Temporary backup bow. Really impressed with it . 3.2 lb carbon riser Honestly for the money you can’t beat it. Bow tech makes them. With my short Draw length 27-1/2”. I still get 300 fps - 385 gr arrow. My buddy was so impressed with it he bought one also.
I will check it out!

33” is the perfect ATA for a compound bow.
I’ve also been looking at a new bow to replace my 2004 Mathews Switchback.
I’ve shot every new bow I could. The new Mathews and Bowtech are great. So are the Elites and PSE’s… but… the real sleepers are the Dartons!
Their Performance vs Cost is second to none!
Good luck with your search.
I had a good friend that used the switchback for a very long time. He loved it! I have a cousin that keeps nudging me toward Matthew’s. I’m not dedicated to a brand, but there are a lot of guys that love their bows.

I’m in a similar position to yours-except I am left handed and my bow still has some life in it. But I haven’t had a new one for over a decade and the changes are fascinating. Explained it to my wife this way while test firing some at scheels-“A tv is still a tv but ten years of tech has changed things an awful lot!”
I’ll follow with interest . . .
I’m left handed and in the same boat. I shoot an older bow tech.

Your options are wide open. I'm a big fan of Mathews (currently shooting a 4 or so year old VXR 31.5) and it does everything I want it to. I was in bear camp with a couple guys last fall who were shooting Hoyt, and they couldn't believe how quiet mine was compared to theirs, and I run a bare-bones setup. Stock bow with a rest, sight, and sometimes a 6" front stabilizer, but that's it. I'd certainly recommend any of their options, but the best recommendation is to go to your local bow shop(s) and test the various brands. With modern technology, you can't really go wrong.

My problem is that I only have 1 local bow shop, and he strictly carries bowtech, Hoyt, and Matthew’s. I’m sure I can get a bow within those brands and enjoy it. I want to look at some other brands before deciding. (PSE, Elite, Prime, Bear, etc)
Bows are kind of like women. Once you handle one, you want to handle them all.

I have been using Mathew’s bows for the last 15 years and really like them. My new one was bought last year and is the Phase4....
I have been looking at Phase 4s for European boar hunts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristianR

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]