Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Every year our Hamba Bamba group enters four teams in the Kariba International Tiger Fish Tournament in October and a few of us try to get up there beforehand to investigate tackle and tactics. Last week the three of us set off in the little Harry Selby, our 1950 Series 1 Landy. The route was through the bush again, turning off at Karoi on the Binga road and then hanging right on the myriad of rural tracks to pick up the Transfrontier road over the Matusadona mountains. Some of the rural tracks are really rough and just before the escarpment began Harry broke a rear spring, just one leaf hanging on. So Greg and I completed the last 80 km or so sitting on the front bumper to keep the weight forward, uncomfortable but you are right there with the sights and smells of the wild bush.
Crossing the Naodza River bridge:
B711461E-9FB6-4FF9-8B49-E3B42829D57B.jpeg

Oh man, that's a great tale to tell!

Every year our Hamba Bamba group enters four teams in the Kariba International Tiger Fish Tournament in October and a few of us try to get up there beforehand to investigate tackle and tactics. Last week the three of us set off in the little Harry Selby, our 1950 Series 1 Landy. The route was through the bush again, turning off at Karoi on the Binga road and then hanging right on the myriad of rural tracks to pick up the Transfrontier road over the Matusadona mountains. Some of the rural tracks are really rough and just before the escarpment began Harry broke a rear spring, just one leaf hanging on. So Greg and I completed the last 80 km or so sitting on the front bumper to keep the weight forward, uncomfortable but you are right there with the sights and smells of the wild bush.
Crossing the Naodza River bridge:
View attachment 530759
That right there is living!

True Overlanding! I like it!

By the way what is your source for your pith helmets. A grandkid of mine has expressed an interest in pith helmets. I would like to explore the possibility of obtaining a quality helmet for the kid. Thanks for your help.

True Overlanding! I like it!

By the way what is your source for your pith helmets. A grandkid of mine has expressed an interest in pith helmets. I would like to explore the possibility of obtaining a quality helmet for the kid. Thanks for your help.
Melville and Moon Johannesburg. I think Safari Supplies are their reps in the USA.

Hi Kevin, That is one advantage of a Land Rover over a Land Cruiser. You do not have all of those tails of how you almost did not survive the journey.

Don’t say stuff like that when you’ve been on a boys trip…
Someone might think something fishy been going on! :X3: :oops:

Now as you are the one who goes on fishing trips....you would know about those fishy goings on.... :E Hmmm: :E Shrug::E Head Scratch::E Rofl:

We got into Charara in the late afternoon dusty and tired, but the fire soon soothed the aches and pains and a hot shower and early bed were in order.
Next morning we launched the boat and headed off to last year's hot spot - dead. Off to the Heritage tree line and the bites began immediately. This excursion was more about testing out new equipment and theories than finding spots. Lately we are into light tackle and soft rods, but the question remained - would the smaller trebble hooks and soft rods do better than the traditional stiff set up with single hooks? Tiger's mouths are incredibly bony and although a single hook through the jaw is a done deal, the frequency of pulling that off is low. The question was - would a trebble through the skin hold on long enough to get the tiger to the net?
To match with the ultra light rods we used Calcutta Conquest 51 reels, tiny gems that are smoother than silk and make all-day casting a breeze. I should mention that the target size tiger we are after range from 600 grams to say 2kg, with the little ones in the vast majority and therefore better score contributors than the bigger boys. A large one comes along every now and again and tests everything to the limit, but it is far more fun to go with the numbers.

By counting the ratio of strikes, to hookup, to net we established that trebbles are definitely the way to go, no hauling them in, just a gentle fight. All fish are released, and the small trebbles do far less damage too.
03CEEF9E-300D-428B-ACC4-E3C52CF490E9.jpeg
A67C819B-2F5C-4D47-9B1A-9D909A6077B5.jpeg
F58D8F19-19E9-46E6-A62D-2C51D9C6DD4E.jpeg

Some old school pistol grips on those rods. A-rods, are they?
An interesting story, the smaller green one is a Megabass Pagani Trad 60 XP, but having bought the rods Megabass can't supply the special handles. So it is fitted with a Smiths handle like the red one next to it, which is a Smiths Superstrike Ss60GMH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiapharmafranchise

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….