Rigby BGR Getting Dialed In.

Wildwillalaska

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
US/Mexico
With buffalo trip rapidly approaching, had to get this baby up and ready quickly. One of our forum sponsors expedited a Z8i 1-8x24 to Alaska and was back at the range a few times over the past week getting used to my new set up. Played with a few different factory loads I had available, each time out, I’d remove the scope mid-way thru the range session, shoot a few rounds open sights, then remount and check zero. As different as these recknagel mounts are, they have earned a little more of my confidence each time out. The rifle does seem to love the Federal TBBC, with the only 3-shot ragged holes I got were with them, but also shot as well as I would need with the trophy bonded solids and TSX.

Last two range sessions I shot off rest only to check zero on cold bore shot and then shot from sticks—which I’m still getting used to. Admit I rarely shoot standing, more kneeling or prone, so it’s taking some practice.

This was best 3-shot at 100 with TBBC.

IMG_3401.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I shot one cold bore after removing and replacing the scope, then full magazine from sticks at 100, not as fast as possible but tried to move through the shots quickly, pausing to readjust the sticks after the third shot. Think my shots show the rush. Then did a full magazine at 50 yards, also shooting at a quick pace. The sticks are a bit different for me, but will get used to them.

IMG_3429.jpeg
IMG_3434.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3438.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3439.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3437.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Look
Today I shot one cold bore after removing and replacing the scope, then full magazine from sticks at 100, not as fast as possible but tried to move through the shots quickly, pausing to readjust the sticks after the third shot. Think my shots show the rush. Then did a full magazine at 50 yards, also shooting at a quick pace. The sticks are a bit different for me,

Practice a shot of the sticks then lift the rifle off the sticks and a shot freehand, without dawdling or overly rushing. If something is inside 50 and moves after the shot you might not have the ability to follow it while on the sticks.

I pretty much expect follow up shots would be offhand. I do practice off hand shooting, but also far from super accurate. Figure a fleeing buffalo is a lot like a giant brown bear, subsequent shots, even if not perfectly placed are better than none at all. Make the first shot count, and if you can poke more holes, do it.

You're set.

Your shooting will do just fine. Great setup and I use the same scope on my 416 Rigby. If you have anyone with you at the range, have them setup the sticks and see how quickly you can get on the sticks and ready to go. That's critical sometimes.

My theory is getting on the sticks and finding your target in the reticle has little to do with accuracy but everything to do with speed so get it done as fast as possible.Then you can take a moment when it counts and pause then make an accurate first shot. Then crank the bolt and get back on target fast as possible. Wash rinse and repeat.I think a great idea to shoot one aimed shot on one target and then take a free hand shot on a separate target.

@Wildwillalaska - Looks like you are doing very well, especially with a 416RIGBY.

My only advice is "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast". Continue to practice with dry and live fire training to stay proficient.

The 416 Rigby is a real killer. I’ve taken Buffalo, Eland , Gemsbuck and Warthogs with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SantiagoRa

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,