Thoughts on the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 Scope?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I just ordered this scope for my 338 WinMag rifle that I'm intending to take out elk hunting. I wanted something in the mid-range for magnification that could comfortably reach out to 600m but also have a low enough bottom end for closer shots.

Anyone own this scope? what do you think of it? Any negatives? How far have you reached out with it?

I do not own this particular scope, but I do own many Leupolds, and I personally have had great success with them. 2 of the ones I own are the VX5, 2x10x42, one with fire dot, one without. Had it not been for the firedot on my scope last week I never would have taken the black bear I did in the Maryland hunt.

I do not own this particular scope, but I do own many Leupolds, and I personally have had great success with them. 2 of the ones I own are the VX5, 2x10x42, one with fire dot, one without. Had it not been for the firedot on my scope last week I never would have taken the black bear I did in the Maryland hunt.
Everyone that I know that owns a Leupold seems to love them.

The model I ordered doesn't have the firedot reticle, it has the Wind-Plex reticle which seemed a little busy at first but I think I can deal with it.

Everyone that I know that owns a Leupold seems to love them.

The model I ordered doesn't have the firedot reticle, it has the Wind-Plex reticle which seemed a little busy at first but I think I can deal with it.

I should clarify, I own 8 or 9 Leupold scopes, but I only have one with the fire dot. Another plus for Leupold scopes is that they are generally lightweight. I do have a VX3 in 4.5x14, it served me well on some longer range shots in the eastern cape of South Africa last year. You made a great decision and purchase.

I should clarify, I own 8 or 9 Leupold scopes, but I only have one with the fire dot. Another plus for Leupold scopes is that they are generally lightweight. I do have a VX3 in 4.5x14, it served me well on some longer range shots in the eastern cape of South Africa last year. You made a great decision and purchase.
The weight was definitely a factor in the purchase, I looked at a couple other comparable scopes and the Leupold weighed in at 6-10 ounces less.

I have several with the Firedot Duplex reticle. One sits on my Tikka 595 in .308 Win. I've shot well past 800 yards with it, and never had a problem of any kind. I just got back from Africa 3 weeks ago, and this rig was used on 5 of the 7 animals I took. It's a bit much for most hunting on big game though. At 61, I'm considering lighter rifles and scopes.

IMG_20231005_093754442.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 3 of these myself with Wind Plex reticles. And have mounted 7 more on all of our hunting groups rifles. All 300 WM, and all used in Montana for elk and deer hunting. After several years of using them, we have not had any issues and they seem to hold zero well and return to zero after dialing.
You should be very happy with it. I do mount all our elk rifle scopes on rails bedded to the action and usually then bed the scope to the rings as well. So far, so good.

Great magnification choice. Very versatile.

I have that optic on a 300 win mag.

Bottom line- it’s good, not great.

The good- it’s relatively rare in that it’s an ideal balance of magnification, adjustment, and light weight with a smaller objective that allows lower mounts. Leupold has good service and it’s designed to be waterproof. The coatings are good.

The bad- The glass is a real step down from Zeiss , S&B, and Steiner. It’s just not crisp, no matter how you focus it. The turrets have real slop in them and the clicks are well defined, but sloppy….play in them.

All in all, it’s a good value…but I think this is a better value for the money. I bought one and I can’t believe how good it is, on par with all Euro glass…and good price too. https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/predator-4-4-16x50

Attachments

• Predator 4 4-16x50 | Steiner Optics.pdf
    398.2 KB · Views: 44
I own several of this exact same scope and believe it to be the all-around best hunting scope for the money. You will be very happy with the purchase.

I have one. IMO it is a good but not great scope. Mine had to go back to Leupold as the elevation turret adjustment stopped responding correctly. They fixed it and I have not had an issue since. However, that moved it to a backup rifle and my LR rifle now wears a Leupold Mark 5HD 4.5-18x. It is a significantly better scope.

I have several Leupold scopes and had one of the HD5 3x15. I didn’t care for the 30 mm but off the bench and hunting I loved the scope. Problem was stuff inside would break and it would start shooting a 2 foot group. Leupold rebuilt the scope twice in the same year and I sold it after it was fixed the last time.

I have one on my hunting rifle. Simple duplex reticle. I'm liking the Firedot more and more.

Side focus and zero stop are pluses.

Firedot auto off and motion on is great.

For $1100ish it is hard to beat. With a DD214 and the VIP program you can do even better.

30mm tube and 44 objective is an excellent combo.

6HD's jump up about $800.

DB

I briefly had a VX5-HD but sold it before ever using it. I forget the exact model but it was on the low power small objective lens end of the VX5-HD model lineup. On paper the specs looked good. I thought I'd be okay with the 30mm tube but after loosely mounting it on a rifle IMO it looked ridiculous. It was just too big and ungainly looking. I went back to my trusty 1" tubed low magnification small objective lens scopes and I'm glad I did.

I just ordered this scope for my 338 WinMag rifle that I'm intending to take out elk hunting. I wanted something in the mid-range for magnification that could comfortably reach out to 600m but also have a low enough bottom end for closer shots.

Anyone own this scope? what do you think of it? Any negatives? How far have you reached out with it?
I have one on my .338WM. It has been flawless so far. No game taken beyond 300 yards with it, but I can consistently ring a 12in plate at 750 yards. I will also say I have seen a lot of criticism of the CDS turret system. I have ordered turrets for a couple of loads on this scope and they are dead on out to 750 yards which is as far as I shoot.

I have the 3-15 w/Firedot on my 6.5. I like the scope, but it's a bit large for my tastes. Took an aoudad at 378 with it in Jan. In that scenario, the Firedot was priceless. I don't believe I would/could have taken the shot without it. Near dark, overcast with haze. I have several other Leupold Firedots and love them. Took a brown bear in May and don't think I would have taken that shot either without the Firedot.

I have one on my .338WM. It has been flawless so far. No game taken beyond 300 yards with it, but I can consistently ring a 12in plate at 750 yards. I will also say I have seen a lot of criticism of the CDS turret system. I have ordered turrets for a couple of loads on this scope and they are dead on out to 750 yards which is as far as I shoot.
I'm not all that well versed in scopes but after reading that Leupold will create a custom CDS for a specific load/ballistics I thought that was quite a premium service this this price point.

Do other manufacturers offer that same kind of service?

Which load did you have your 338WM CDS turret done up for?

I'm considering one for the 230gr Hornady ELD-X.

I have that exact same scope on 3 rifles, 25.06, 30.06 and 300 Win Mag. I have been very pleased with the performance so far. Longest shot has only been about 150 yards on a pig with the 25.06, worked perfectly. I love the firedot feature. I have just ordered the CDS turrets for the 3 rifle/ammo combinations.

I prefer the: VX-5HD 2-10X42 CDS-ZL2 ILLUM. FIREDOT DUPLEX
I like the smaller 42mm front objective and I find 2-10 a more useful range on a big magnum. 10x is more than enough for 600 yard vitals shot on an elk. CDS works well, if the effort is put into getting good data, to send to Leupold. I have used Leupold’s warranty a few times (me causing the issues) and have always had the issue fixed, no questions asked, at the cost of shipping to them.

I also like the Swarovski z8 1.7-13.3x42 4A-IF. It has better glass and a better reticle, IMHO.

YMMV

I have the same VX6 3-18x44 TMOA Reticle on two guns. A 300 Win Mag and 6.5 Creedmoor. My son and I have shot steel out to 1200 yards with them and taken all kinds of animals with them from 20 yards to 327 yard (Axis deer), including using both of these rifles on a plains game safari in S. Africa and plenty of hogs, whitetail and coyotes. Please take this as a recommendation, Id go with it. Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckenzieSh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.