Thoughts on the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 Scope?

. I wanted something in the mid-range for magnification that could comfortably reach out to 600m but also have a low enough bottom end for closer shots
. So I infer from this that you haven’t actually shot very many elk. In the real world, away from the internet and advertising influencers, elk hunting actually happens at distances half that, under 300 M, or less.
“Mid range” in the current marketing frenzy of “more is better” is actually a specialized, long distance scope. Unnecessary power, more critical eye relief, mandatory parallax adjustment, and probably the useless abomination of twisty turrets and busy reticles. You don’t need all that stuff. No matter how much internet influencers try to make you believe. Too much power and too many “ features” just make a scope more fiddly, specialized, slow to use, and less appropriate for real world hunting conditions.

I owned a Leupold vx5HD 3-15x44 CDS - ZL2 30mm Side focus, Illuminated firedot duplex #172368 scope. I got rid of it. It was intended for use on a varmint rifle, but the illuminated centre dot was prone to flares and poor focus, and was not in the centre of the reticle. Sent it back to Korth, the Canadian distributor, and they pronounced it “good enough” even though the dot was half its diameter off centre. Traded for a Zeiss with less magnification that actually works as advertised.
I’ve owned many Leupold scopes. Most are a good value for the money. This one, nope.

Last edited:
. So I infer from this that you haven’t actually shot very many elk. In the real world, away from the internet and advertising influencers, elk hunting actually happens at distances half that, under 300 M, or less.
“Mid range” in the current marketing frenzy of “more is better” is actually a specialized, long distance scope. Unnecessary power, more critical eye relief, mandatory parallax adjustment, and probably the useless abomination of twisty turrets and busy reticles. You don’t need all that stuff. No matter how much internet influencers try to make you believe. Too much power and too many “ features” just make a scope more fiddly, specialized, slow to use, and less appropriate for real world hunting conditions.

I owned a Leupold vx5HD 3-15x44 CDS - ZL2 30mm Side focus, Illuminated firedot duplex #172368 scope. I got rid of it. It was intended for use on a varmint rifle, but the illuminated centre dot was prone to flares and poor focus, and was not in the centre of the reticle. Sent it back to Korth, the Canadian distributor, and they pronounced it “good enough” even though the dot was half its diameter off centre. Traded for a Zeiss with less magnification that actually works as advertised.
Interesting I have a 2-10 vx5 where a firedot not centered. At lowest setting it’s good but as it gets brighter it moves into the bottom right quadrant of the scope.

@Northern Shooter I have this same scope with a simple duplex reticle. I like it better than any of my other scopes. It should do fine for most applications............FWB

I’ve owned many Leupold scopes. Most are a good value for the money. This one, nope.
You would be correct, never hunted elk. Living in Ontario our local elk hunt is highly limited, I think they issue on the order of 6-8 tags per year?

This scope, pairing with my new 338 is my long "ish" range rifle. It will first be used on elk but maybe one day on sheep, goat etc where longer distances are more common.

I'm not all that well versed in scopes but after reading that Leupold will create a custom CDS for a specific load/ballistics I thought that was quite a premium service this this price point.

Do other manufacturers offer that same kind of service?

Which load did you have your 338WM CDS turret done up for?

I'm considering one for the 230gr Hornady ELD-X.

I have turrets for the 230gr Eld-X, 225gr CX and the 185 gr Barnes TTSX-BT. My rifle loves the ELD-X bullets. I am also working with the 270gr ELD-X. Even though my muzzle velocity with that bullet is unimpressive it retains 2000 ft lbs of energy out to almost 800 yards! Very high BC don't you know!

I have a couple of the VX 5HD scopes. They are compact and weigh less than comparable models. I have them on some of my lightweight mountain rifles. I like them.

I have one. IMO it is a good but not great scope. Mine had to go back to Leupold as the elevation turret adjustment stopped responding correctly. They fixed it and I have not had an issue since. However, that moved it to a backup rifle and my LR rifle now wears a Leupold Mark 5HD 4.5-18x. It is a significantly better scope.
I have seen several leupolds not track correctly including a vx5 my father in law owns. He sent it back twice . It sits in the same quality pool with the rest of the scopes in that price point.

I have seen several leupolds not track correctly including a vx5 my father in law owns. He sent it back twice . It sits in the same quality pool with the rest of the scopes in that price point.
Not my experience, I have used and abused several VX3 and VX5 Leupolds. Have not had any issues.

Not my experience, I have used and abused several VX3 and VX5 Leupolds. Have not had any issues.
They have had issues, just like other brands in that price point. Unfortunately the fan base for Leupold ignores any negatives they hear about because they sing along with the “I want my scope made in America” tune.

I now have three of that exact model with fire dot and cds dial . On my light weight rigs I use vx3 with fire dot and cds dial. I think they all are an excellent value.

I personally use the Leupold VX5 and VX6 in various models.
From a dealers perspective the repair ratio on Leupold vrs Swarovski is equal. Yes both have issues at times but I see about the same number of each a year. I have sent back only 6 Leupolds this year out of over 250 sold. Anything man made can have issues I personally will continue to use Leupold.

I just ordered this scope for my 338 WinMag rifle that I'm intending to take out elk hunting. I wanted something in the mid-range for magnification that could comfortably reach out to 600m but also have a low enough bottom end for closer shots.

Anyone own this scope? what do you think of it? Any negatives? How far have you reached out with it?
I have two of these. Best scope for the price when I purchased It.

Hopefully you will be as happy with your new Leupold as I have been with the half dozen or so I own. As I have aged, the illuminated reticles have worked well for me on bear, Cape buffalo, in shade, in bad weather, dark timber, etc. But you should be happy with the reticle you got as well.
I run VX-6es on my 375 and mostly VX-5s on 243, ARs in 223 and 300 Blackout, 7mm-08, 30-06, 300 WM, Marlins in 357 & 44 mag, etc. I have yet to have a failure. But it happens to every brand.
Best of luck with your purchase and on your future elk hunt!

I mounted one on my 375H&H after an issue with a Z6i 1.7-10. The rifle is a CZ550 and the scope barely fits due to the open sights combined with the action cut-out and the short space behind the objective bell. It is not going to blow your hair back, but it will get the job done.

This scope would not fit on my Blaser R8 with 30mm low saddle mount . Had to go to a high mount. Same scope on my 450 bushmaster I had built and works great

Leupold makes a good scope.Until you watch a NightForce being put together.

Leupold makes a good scope.Until you watch a NightForce being put together.

100% correct. The Euro scopes have as many tracking errors as Leupold does. Quality of glass, I can read the light transmission test etc. I guess the Euro scopes are better, I can't see the difference. But if you want a scope that will handle a lot of knob turing and stay true you can't beat Night Force scopes.

I personally use the Leupold VX5 and VX6 in various models.
From a dealers perspective the repair ratio on Leupold vrs Swarovski is equal. Yes both have issues at times but I see about the same number of each a year. I have sent back only 6 Leupolds this year out of over 250 sold. Anything man made can have issues I personally will continue to use Leupold.

Yep. We sell more Leupolds than Zeiss or Swarovski but as far as issues customers bring us the percentages are not much different. Also, the majority of our customers can't or will not spend 1K plus for a rifle scope. The Lower end Leupolds (Freedom Series) which are $400 and less are a great value. Way better for us than anything else at that price point.

I have two of these without the light up reticle. I just wanted the plain Duplex. I made a deal on two maple stocked Model 70's and wanted to scope both of them. I really like the 2x10-42, but Optics Planet had a super sale on the 3x15-44 (all in VX-5HD with non electric duplex reticles). I like them all very much. I have one of the 2x10-42's on my .375 Weatherby and have a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems whatsoever. I have less through the 3x15-44's but have had no issues at all with them either. I have one on a .264 Winchester (that I took a nice white tail with last year) and one on a .270 Winchester. Dad and I have a good natured banter of Leupold vs. Swaro (He's a Swaro guy) but I've never had any problems with any of my Leupold's. the HD lines really do have better glass in them than the lesser versions. They're very bright. I don't think you'd go wrong with it. That being said, the 2x10 is a really nice scope too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gene lawson

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles