The Last Of The English Side By Sides

Thank you everybody for your kind appreciation.

@PerH & @PCC600

Your Lloyd & Sons and William Powell shotguns were built on Webley & Scott Model 400 actions, as denoted by the presence of third bites. These were built from 1905-1946 and were the predecessors to the Model 700. In my opinion, the Model 400 was a stronger action than the Model 700.

Thank you everybody for your kind appreciation.

@PerH & @PCC600

Your Lloyd & Sons and William Powell shotguns were built on Webley & Scott Model 400 actions, as denoted by the presence of third bites. These were built from 1905-1946 and were the predecessors to the Model 700. In my opinion, the Model 400 was a stronger action than the Model 700.
Thank you HH . These Model 400 actions are very neatly done and undoubtedly strong .

Thank you Hunter for your addition on these 700 series W&S. I came across them some years ago as my entry into affordable English SxS at the time. There was little information in the public domain but I was able to find enough to know I wanted one of the last of the old style, English, hand made, boxlocks.

I came across this one, almost as new with original mint case, original oiler, brushes, patches, snap caps, etc. I’d be surprised if this shotgun has seen a full box of shells in its lifetime. Serial dates to late 70s Birmingham. One of the last true Abercrombie & Fitch imports. Was transferred to Oshmans when they bought the name and a gentleman in Houston bought and held this for ~40 years before I became the new caretaker. Still looking for a good quail hunt behind my GSP with this one…

IMG_7279.jpeg
IMG_7276.jpeg
IMG_7277.jpeg
IMG_7280.jpeg
IMG_7281.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Lloyd&Son ejector model built on a Webley action . Haven’t had it to refurbish yet so haven’t tried it . Need forestock work a splinter is loose there , as well and maybe open up to 12-70 chamber since the ammo situation here make it easier than 12-65 .

It was part of a pair since marked 1 on some places , its trunk case don’t have a label sadly .

View attachment 622056View attachment 622057View attachment 622058View attachment 622059View attachment 622060View attachment 622061
A best quality boxlock if ever I saw one with the screw grip third fastener . A terrific original gun .

Looks like i forgot to post one other picture of things to fix also . Must been altered for a kid or a lady at some point , then taken back in there . But looks like one piece is of the original wood so I think an Orange rubber pad is what needed .

Wish modern guns had that balance as this one have though .

The other piece to fix

IMG_4663.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A best quality boxlock if ever I saw one with the screw grip third fastener . A terrific original gun .
Thanks for that , turns out the more I search for info on them , the more one find out this was a better of them built .
as a friend abroad said.

Wonder where Webley records are now also btw

Thanks for that , turns out the more I search for info on them , the more one find out this was a better of them built .
as a friend abroad said.

Wonder where Webley records are now also btw
Holland and Holland received the records when they were bought in the 80’s. Not sure if the current Webley and Scott company got the old records back when they revived production and the name.

Holland and Holland received the records when they were bought in the 80’s. Not sure if the current Webley and Scott company got the old records back when they revived production and the name.

Webley, Scott, Webley & Scott, and W.C. Scott combined would need the libraries of congress to hold all their records. I've NEVER been able to get provenance on any of the former when I requested details.

@Hunter-Habib, you have a way of inspiring me with your stories and colorful descriptions.

I went out and bought a Webley & Scott Model 700 after reading: “Do you own a Webley & Scott Model 700 ? If so, never let it go. You have in your hands, perhaps the last of the English side by sides which were built for the common man in mind. And that is truly something beautiful.“

@rookhawk was the source for the accessories :)

IMG_5631.jpeg

Hopefully, @Hunter-Habib, you wont start singing the praises of a vintage Holland & Holland anytime soon ;)

@Hunter-Habib, you have a way of inspiring me with your stories and colorful descriptions.

I went out and bought a Webley & Scott Model 700 after reading: “Do you own a Webley & Scott Model 700 ? If so, never let it go. You have in your hands, perhaps the last of the English side by sides which were built for the common man in mind. And that is truly something beautiful.“

View attachment 636176

Hopefully, @Hunter-Habib, you wont start singing the praises of a vintage Holland & Holland anytime soon ;)

@franzfmdavis I have a rectangular oversized oil bottle here at the house that may fit that compartment better. Stop by, try it out, if it works better, happy to swap. Case looks great with all the right stuff!

View attachment 636176

@franzfmdavis

Well... actually I was thinking of singing praises about James Purdey & Sons firearms in a near future post.

Good heavens ! You've managed to find one in such pristine condition. Virtually mint. Fully choked left barrel and improved cylinder choked right barrel. Use it with 32 gram cartridges and you've got one of the best British upland shotguns which the common man could purchase in Great Britain until 1979. The last ones made after 1976 until 1979 actually have their forcing cones cut in a manner to pattern better with plastic wads (Eley began to use plastic wads in their cartridges starting with their International Trap line in 1974 until 2019).

Last edited:
Use it with 32 gram cartridges
@Hunter-Habib

oh boy - a Purdy! That would be great! Ill have to trade my car for it!

May I ask what would be the easiest way to determine whether cartridges are 32 g? Is it the total weight of the shot? Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but I tried a simple search for 32 g shot shells and didn’t come up with anything.

@Hunter-Habib

oh boy - a Purdy! That would be great! Ill have to trade my car for it!

May I ask what would be the easiest way to determine whether cartridges are 32 g? Is it the total weight of the shot? Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but I tried a simple search for 32 g shot shells and didn’t come up with anything.
No apologies necessary. Just use any shotgun shells which have the shot weight marked as
"1 1/8 ounces" on the box.

Like this.
IMG-20240917-WA0007.jpg

Excellent! Thank you!

A little trivia for the shotgun enthusiasts. The difference in recoil force (and wear and tear on your gun) is significant between shells.

A 1-1/8 ounce load produces 50% more recoil than a 1 ounce load.

A one ounce load is just as good for wingshooting purposes, way easier on the shoulder, extends the life of a fine double, patterns marginally better, and costs less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okwin

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?