The 400 H&H

I do own a Dakota 400 H&H. I have enjoyed the rifle and the cartridge. By the numbers it lands between my 375H&H and 416REM, both in kinetic energy and felt recoil. In my experience the 416REM sends the bullet at about 2-300 fps faster than the 400H&H. It's a little difficult at times to find brass and bullets, but it has been a fun and very usable cartridge for me over the years.
That’s unfortunately not what I wanted to hear but I thank you for the feedback! I was hoping that it would be in the same class as the 416’s and be able to send a 400gr at 2300ftps…
Now I’m sure it gets the job done quite well at 2100 to 2200 but as you say it’s in between and not in the same class..
The Westley Richards head of sales for the US “LD”, who I met at this past DSC convention in his booth, gave a statement on it in an article written by a noted gun and hunting writer, this is that article.
Never the less I was hoping for better feedback on its performance

No, completely different, it’s basically a 275H&H necked down to 257 cal. Slightly sharper shoulder, but still belted. They only made a couple of hundred of them
Gumpy

Attachments

Thats the falling block rifle, my barrel is for a mauser action. I should get it bore scoped to see if it's been shot out
gumpy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taqtics

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?