The 243 Winchester for Australian Game

@rdog
Nobody knocks the classic 6.5x55
I formed an opinion that a .260 can actually do all they claim a ManBun can do but it's Just not a ManBun.
Please affirm the .260 is a winner.

Soon the man bun will be as common as muck as the .308.

Thing is what some of the ManBun followers believe is ludicrous.
even more unique and efectacious is the 6.5x57. The one I built on a 1916 SR Erfurt action has a match chamber
6.5x57 Erfurt.png

The 6.5 story.
I the early 1980s a flood of M96 & M38 Sweeds come into Australia some almost new , i brought some sportized some & fell in love with the 6. 5x55, shot lots of pigs & goats with it
Next the 260 Rem came available got a Ruger 77 MK11 stainless Laminated my daughter loved it & hunted with it until she got married & had kids, i still have that rifle. then i built a 6.5 Grendel a wonderful little cartridge with up to 120 grain bullets next the 6.5 CM come out being a 6.5 fan i could not help my self. I am off to the rifle range now with a 308 , 270 win & a 6.5 CM this story will continue.

As the person that started this 243 business & has seen what a lot of discussion it created, what about a discussion about the wonderful 6.5 CM one of the worlds best rifle cartridges. I fell into the trap & purchased one, great bullet diameter very efficient case shape, works well out of a short action with 140 grain + bullets, low recoil i also have a 6.5x55, 260REM ,6.5 Grendel so can compare them all. What do you think?
@rdog
Well you have a good range of 6.5s maybe you could chrono them with top loads for say 140s and accuracy test them then we will have a valid comparison.
Personally I think they have just been re inventing the wheel after the 6.5x55.
Bob

even more unique and efectacious is the 6.5x57. The one I built on a 1916 SR Erfurt action has a match chamber View attachment 459932
Nice,
Is the 6.5x57 of your design or is it a well known wildcat?
You know if there were more hours in the day you could take on some stockwork.

@Marcos Rodriguez
Bob is also a shit stirrer taking every opportunity to make a smart comment or joke about his dislike of .243.

I'm trying to find a .35Whelen barrel to stir the liquid manure for his Tomato garden.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Sounds like he's my type of person.... I love it, he looks like me with the 270 lol

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Sounds like he's my type of person.... I love it, he looks like me with the 270 lol
Are you a Whelen Nut like Bob?
You could offer your friends .35Whelen conversions for their .270's.
Let me know I might buy a .270 and friend you in Facebook.
You won't convert Dr Ray , he's a staunch supporter of the .270 , let him know what you think

I have a Buddy that is a huge Jack O'Conner fan and is a .270 fanatic. I had a rifle barreled in 35 Whelen but it was marked 270 Improved. I loaded some 35 Whelen ammo for it using 270 brass and gave it to him for his birthday. He got a huge kick out of it.

Safe shooting

My Goodness, just open a thread with the numbers 243 in it, and you get 12 pages of posts within 2 months time :ROFLMAO: . @Bob Nelson 35Whelen Tomato field must be huge by now. Big enough to supply whole of Oz with Tomatoes.
Oh you know it! He's got a bloody ketchup factory to take care of the surplus.
@Marcos Rodriguez
Bob is also a shit stirrer taking every opportunity to make a smart comment or joke about his dislike of .243.

I'm trying to find a .35Whelen barrel to stir the liquid manure for his Tomato garden.
He wanders about touring the greatness of the storied and magnificent Whelen and the plants just grow like magic beanstalks. His wife won't let him wear his shoes in the house and makes him shower when he comes in from the plantation.
@Jörg Krüger
Thinking of starting a foundry to melt the 243 barrels down and donating the steel to Gary @Von Gruff for knife blades .
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Now there's a way to add value to most anything!

Don't spill any Bullshit in the smelting pot. Garry has a high standard of quality control in his tempering of unique custom blades.
Stick to Tomato farming.

@Forrest Halley . We use Tomato sauce, ketchup is maybe sweeter with less selection s on the shelf.

Tomato sauce is used on a Meat Pie or Fritz and sauce sandwich and everything else unless.

Nice,
Is the 6.5x57 of your design or is it a well known wildcat?
You know if there were more hours in the day you could take on some stockwork.
It is neither mine nor a wildcatters. It was designed in 1893 or 4 by Mauser by necking down the 7mm Mauser as a sporting cartridge. I has never been a military cartridge

It is neither mine nor a wildcatters. It was designed in 1893 or 4 by Mauser by necking down the 7mm Mauser as a sporting cartridge. I has never been a military cartridge
Thanks, not one I am familiar with. I should have googled it.
6.5x55 rifles were sporter used and popular on the market here 30 years ago . A lot of those European designations are not so common in Australia but I see Simplex still make a loading die set for 6.5x57
I would say the majority of sporting arms have American or Imperial cartridge designations here.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

@Marcos Rodriguez
Marcos the 270 is another cartridge that benefited from some one praising the hell out of it. Les Bowman I think it was sung it's praise loud and long (a bit like me with the Whelen but the Whelen is actually a good cartridge) and wrote for field and stream. Everyone believed his hype like they did with Winchester and the 243 and whoever markets the manbun.
Feed people enough bullshit for long enough by someone popular and people believe it.
The 270 is another cartridge I'm not overly fond of despite the fact it is a pretty good round and I have used it on game from rabbit to sambar deer. I think if the 280 came out first with the advertisement it would be where the 270 is now but alas it ain't.
Bob

Are you a Whelen Nut like Bob?
You could offer your friends .35Whelen conversions for their .270's.
Let me know I might buy a .270 and friend you in Facebook.
You won't convert Dr Ray , he's a staunch supporter of the .270 , let him know what you think
@CBH Australia
Chris @Dr Ray is a,Queenslander and a Sako lover as well.
He probably thinks QLD is going to win the next state of origin.
We still love him despite those faults as well as being a 270 tragic.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Don't spill any Bullshit in the smelting pot. Garry has a high standard of quality control in his tempering of unique custom blades.
Stick to Tomato farming.

@Forrest Halley . We use Tomato sauce, ketchup is maybe sweeter with less selection s on the shelf.

Tomato sauce is used on a Meat Pie or Fritz and sauce sandwich and everything else unless.
@CBH Australia
Just offering @Von Gruff the steel from 243 barrels will probably get a polite no thanks if it started life as a 243 the steel is probably like the cartridge, pretty useless.

@Marcos Rodriguez
Marcos the 270 is another cartridge that benefited from some one praising the hell out of it. Les Bowman I think it was sung it's praise loud and long (a bit like me with the Whelen but the Whelen is actually a good cartridge) and wrote for field and stream. Everyone believed his hype like they did with Winchester and the 243 and whoever markets the manbun.
Feed people enough bullshit for long enough by someone popular and people believe it.
The 270 is another cartridge I'm not overly fond of despite the fact it is a pretty good round and I have used it on game from rabbit to sambar deer. I think if the 280 came out first with the advertisement it would be where the 270 is now but alas it ain't.
Bob
My apologies to the late Les Bowman, he actually loved the 257 Roberts.
It was Jack O'Connor that beat the 270 to death.
Sorry Mr Bowman.

@rdog
Well you have a good range of 6.5s maybe you could chrono them with top loads for say 140s and accuracy test them then we will have a valid comparison.
Personally I think they have just been re inventing the wheel after the 6.5x55.
Bob
Bob i do not have a chrono & your right the 6.5x55 is the king of 6.5s but will not fit a short action power wise the 260 Rem is close, then the 6.5 Cm its ok work's in a short action does not feed well due to not a lot of case taper but much over rated with marketing B S. The grendel is a small case very nice to shoot & is very effective with 90 -120 grain bullets if i could only have 1 it would the 6.5x55 its a great cartridge . i have not had any experience with a 6.5x57 but
would expect it to much like the 6.5x55.

Bob i do not have a chrono & your right the 6.5x55 is the king of 6.5s but will not fit a short action power wise the 260 Rem is close, then the 6.5 Cm its ok work's in a short action does not feed well due to not a lot of case taper but much over rated with marketing B S. The grendel is a small case very nice to shoot & is very effective with 90 -120 grain bullets if i could only have 1 it would the 6.5x55 its a great cartridge . i have not had any experience with a 6.5x57 but
would expect it to much like the 6.5x55.
I built a 6.5 Grendel-Max by moving the shoulder forward .05 and loading the 123gn bullet long at 2.405 compared to the standard grendel, lengthened the magazine on a mini mauser and can run the 123gn bullet at 2700fps with exceptional accuracy. It is my standard Hlll rifle for goats. The 100gn TTSX runs at 2950fps but I prefer the 123gn SST
6.5 Grendel and Grendel-Max.png

Best group at 200 yds.png

The 6.5x57 is my deer cartridge and runs the 139gn privi bullet at 2800fps and again with excellent accuracy even if not in the same class as the Grendel-Max.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rebecca Bobby

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?