The 22 Hornet: Uses: Your Choices in ammo, on animals, results

Actually has an old Zeiss Diatal-C 4x marked West Germany… incredibly bright scope. Have shot Winchester Super X out of it and it’s right at an inch at 50 yards. Need to test some other ammo as @dchum mentioned and stretch its legs out to 100 yards.
@jnotzon
Mine wears a meopta 3.5-10 x44. May be a bit of over kill on the K Hornet but great optics.
Bob

@Ridge Runner
Be careful not all hornets will shoot 50 grainers due to the barrel twist. I would love to use them but my barrel sends them out sideways thru the target. Loves 40 to 46 grains and the little Varmit grenade designed for the Hornet
Bob

Thanks for the information.
What is your barrel twist?
What brand and types of 50 grainers did you use?
What velocities did you use for the 50 grainers?

I'm still needing to get out to the range to test the reloads I have made. The weather and weather apps are being very uncooperative.

EDIT: @Bob Nelson 35Whelen
Saw your responses after I asked them.
Working my way recent to older post
trying to catch up.

Thanks for all the information you provided.

Last edited:
There was an article using the Hornet with the earlier, non-TSX, Barnes for small trophy game. The TSX is too long for standard twists. I modified the magazine on my CZ to increase OAL cartridge length for more powder but could not get the 50 grains for above to stabilize. The 45 gr was iffy.

There was an article using the Hornet with the earlier, non-TSX, Barnes for small trophy game. The TSX is too long for standard twists. I modified the magazine on my CZ to increase OAL cartridge length for more powder but could not get the 50 grains for above to stabilize. The 45 gr was iffy.
The Savage has a better twist ....

I’ve used a .22 Hornet on Muntjac deer (South Bengal), Duiker & Dik Dik (Africa) with excellent results. Also on the African Tiny Ten. My favorite .22 Hornet rifle would have to be the Anschutz Model 1771 (amongst rifles in this caliber that are currently being manufactured). The old BRNO ZKW 465s were also magnificent. In terms of ammunition, I’ve always preferred the Remington 45Gr soft point factory load. Nothing fancy, but I’ve been seeing & using it ever since my childhood years. And it’s never yet given me reason to complain.

Thanks for the information.
What is your barrel twist?
What brand and types of 50 grainers did you use?
What velocities did you use for the 50 grainers?

I'm still needing to get out to the range to test the reloads I have made. The weather and weather apps are being very uncooperative.

EDIT: @Bob Nelson 35Whelen
Saw your responses after I asked them.
Working my way recent to older post
trying to catch up.

Thanks for all the information you provided.
@Ridge Runner
I think my barrel is a 1:16 twist the same as the original.
Didn't even chrono the fifties. No use if they didn't shoot
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyinglazyt