Texas alligator gar bowfishing

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hello all, in Oct. Some friends and I are going to Texas to do a pig hunt/ alligator gar bowfishing trip.

I've done a lot of bowfishing and I love it. If you've never gone bowfishing you should, it's a blast.

I've never gone after alligator gar before, just wondering if anyone here has and what their experience was.

Otherwise I'll do a hunt report and let you all know how it goes if I don't get eaten.

Cheers

Sounds like a great time, I’m interested in hearing how it goes for ya when you get back.

Reactions: 503
Hello all, in Oct. Some friends and I are going to Texas to do a pig hunt/ alligator gar bowfishing trip.

I've done a lot of bowfishing and I love it. If you've never gone bowfishing you should, it's a blast.

I've never gone after alligator gar before, just wondering if anyone here has and what their experience was.

Otherwise I'll do a hunt report and let you all know how it goes if I don't get eaten.

Cheers

Looking forward to your hunt and bowfishing report.

I accepted an invite to go bowfishing with a hunting buddy's son and his tournament bowfishing friend. It was a lot of fun and educational....fish aren't where you see them..but once you learn the trick the fun and excitement begins.

We went for gar ended up with a lot of carp. Luckily my hunting buddy's son missed or we could have ended up in a bit of trouble. He thought he was shooting at a much sought after carp that that our Wildlife Agency doesn't admit to being out state waters. My buddy's son's friend spotted the invasive carp and the hunt was on to get an arrow into it.

My buddy's son mistakenly shot at and missed a nice bass, which illegal to bowfish.

We didn't get the invasive carp, nor any gar.

Peaked my curiosity..... which outfitter are you going with ? .....looking forward to your report .
Good luck and play safe
Glen

Looking forward to your hunt and bowfishing report.

I accepted an invite to go bowfishing with a hunting buddy's son and his tournament bowfishing friend. It was a lot of fun and educational....fish aren't where you see them..but once you learn the trick the fun and excitement begins.

We went for gar ended up with a lot of carp. Luckily my hunting buddy's son missed or we could have ended up in a bit of trouble. He thought he was shooting at a much sought after carp that that our Wildlife Agency doesn't admit to being out state waters. My buddy's son's friend spotted the invasive carp and the hunt was on to get an arrow into it.

My buddy's son mistakenly shot at and missed a nice bass, which illegal to bowfish.

We didn't get the invasive carp, nor any gar.
It would have been cool to shoot a fish that doesn't exist and hand it to the DNR guy. It's definitely fun, just remember that bowfishing is a lot like life, always aim low haha.

Cheers

Peaked my curiosity..... which outfitter are you going with ? .....looking forward to your report .
Good luck and play safe
Glen
We are going with Big Fish Bowfishing. https://bigfishbowfishingtexas.com/. My buddy booked it so I haven't talked to the guy but my friend said he sounded cool/ squared away.

He does alligator hurts too so we may go back next year if we like him. He's been doing it for a long time so hopefully he knows his shit.

He said he has all the guns etc we will need with thermals etc. So that makes it easier. I'm bringing my bow for fishing tho since I'm used to it and all that.

I'll def try and do a good write up.

Cheers

I’ve never done any bow fishing, but many around here do. We have some gar here. I don’t know the actual type but everyone calls them “billy gar”.
I have caught them on rod and reel. They are rather difficult to hook. I think they’re mouth I’d pretty hard.
Some say they are good eating, I have never tried them.

I’ve never done any bow fishing, but many around here do. We have some gar here. I don’t know the actual type but everyone calls them “billy gar”.
I have caught them on rod and reel. They are rather difficult to hook. I think they’re mouth I’d pretty hard.
Some say they are good eating, I have never tried them.
I heard they taste good. I guess ill find out....

It would have been cool to shoot a fish that doesn't exist and hand it to the DNR guy. It's definitely fun, just remember that bowfishing is a lot like life, always aim low haha.

Cheers

Yep, bow fishing:
aim low and a bit right or left.:A Thumbs Up:

But In life:

Aim high,
Set a multitude realistic goals that will take a very long lifetime to achieve, and never let any set back stop you from achieving those goals.

Work hard and study,
Play harder, (try to) include family and friends,
Die hardest,without regrets :Finger:

Yep, bow fishing:
aim low and a bit right or left.:A Thumbs Up:

But In life:

Aim high,
Set a multitude realistic goals that will take a very long lifetime to achieve, and never let any set back stop you from achieving those goals.

Work hard and study,
Play harder, (try to) include family and friends,
Die hardest,without regrets :Finger:
Absolutely correct sir

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacquettaM

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]