PH Norman Crooks in Zimbabwe was gored but is alive...

I’m very pleased he will make a full recovery

That sure looks scary, god bless him and wish him a full recovery...
With a hunt coming up shortly the pic raises some questions. If this is a distraction let me know and I will delete, but want this to be a learning experience.
  1. Would it make a difference if Norman had a double in adequate calibre? Get two quick shots in probably?
  2. Last pic with the dead bull looks like it is a very dry area with sparse vegetation, its not thick green brush where visibility is poor, how could a animal this size be missed?
  3. You can see a bullet wound right above the nose and another one in the rumen area, both missing vital organs(brain) for a stop charge at such a distance.
1. No. Only chance for one shot...it unfortuanately did not work. Only differance would have been a better first shot. If it was 375 H&H should not have taken the shot on a full frontal.
2. Look above the buff to the right if he is in there you will not see him. Shrub mopani is even worse. Elephant dissapear in the same and they are much bigger.
3. The shot above the nose could have been Norman shot or the killing shot from the client. Bullet holes mean nothing if you do not know what the angle of the head and distance was at the time it was taken. Buff lift their heads when they charge so again depending on distance and angle that could have been the missed charge stopping shot or the killing shot. You cannot gut shoot a charging buffalo, unless it is charging someone else and the shooter off to the side did not lead and follow through. That shot could have been from the first shot if he was standing slightly quartering and the first shot entered off centre to the left exited behind the shoulder blade and re entered there. It could also have been a follow up shot.
We were not there so pure speculation.

I only use premium expanding bullets 570gr or 600gr in 500 Jeff for follow up on wounded buffalo, gives a bigger margin of error and a lot more trauma and shock.

Just my opinion.

Thank God Normal seems to have a good prognosis and I pray him a speedy recovery.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

You have posted an interesting reply. I would like to pick your brains on the inference that the .375 is inadequate for a frontal shot but without wanting to put words in your mouth I assume adequate for a side on shot? I am not doubting you in any way, but is this true for any 300 grain expanding bullet such as the A frame, Bearclaw or TSX. What calibre would you consider to be adequate for a frontal shot on buff, .416. .458 Lott or bigger?

With any 300gr bullet travelling at 2500+fps yes it is not good for full frontal.

404 Jeff or any of the other normal 400 calibers at max 2400fps is adequite so is any larger caliber as long as the hunter can handle it and shoot it accurately.

375 is good for side on shots again correct bullet choice and placement is important.

You have posted an interesting reply. I would like to pick your brains on the inference that the .375 is inadequate for a frontal shot but without wanting to put words in your mouth I assume adequate for a side on shot? I am not doubting you in any way, but is this true for any 300 grain expanding bullet such as the A frame, Bearclaw or TSX. What calibre would you consider to be adequate for a frontal shot on buff, .416. .458 Lott or bigger?
I have shot all my buffs in the chest with the .375 and they were all dead.
Look at the pictures of Mark Sullivan where the buffalo still run on side shots or front with the .600.
Exeptional spine or head.
But I doubt this is the place for caliber discussions.

Get well soon PH.
Thats important now.

Frontal shots on buff can be controversial. Your PH will make those decisions based on what they are looking at in the field and based upon their knowledge of your abilities with the gun and load. Remember that 375s (and 9.3's) are minimum for buff. I took a large buff last year in Limpopo in cover like that at last light with a 375 and 300 TSX...frontal shot at 60 yards on sticks...buff standing facing us with nose up...dead in 20 yards...one shot. It was the only shot we had in 3 days of tracking that buff and the PH wanted to take it. It can be done but it's not ideal. I usually use 416 or larger on those shots.

I'm hoping this topic focuses on Norman and his recovery. We have plenty of topics to cover the other subjects. What we do has risk out there. Get well soon Norman!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyX5472

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]