Tactical lever actions - what's the appeal?

This is the problem. The action isn't capable of housing a 5.56NATO because it operates above 62,000 psi. The 45-70 operates at 25,000 psi and the 30-30 is at 38,000 psi. These rifles are chambered in cartridges designed in the 19th century, not the 20th or 21st.

And don't get me started with the 357MAG and 44MAG being designed in the 20th century because they are both well below 50,000 psi. Even the 223REM (cousin to the 5.56NATO) is at 55,000 psi and well beyond the capabilities of a mass produced lever action rifle.

The lever action is designed for lower pressure cartridges...period.
@BeeMaa
One company mad a lever action called the long ranger. Looked like a 94 but could handle 223, 243 and 308 and 6.5 need moore. Me thinks it may have been Henry repeating arms.
Bob

@BeeMaa
One company mad a lever action called the long ranger. Looked like a 94 but could handle 223, 243 and 308 and 6.5 need moore. Me thinks it may have been Henry repeating arms.
Bob
So you promptly went out and got a 243WIN I suppose. :ROFLMAO:

I'll take one if she comes with the rifle. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jade Struk… to her credit, she’s actually extremely good with a firearm… she was part of the Taran Tactical team that trained both Keanu Reeves and Halle Berry for the John Wick movies.. and they modeled one of the characters in the Call of Duty video game after her… she’s married to Rudy Reyes (former MARSOC guy that’s done some Hollywood stuff) and living in the DFW these days… supposedly found God, is now devoutly Christian, etc …

:)

Last edited:
@BeeMaa
Bob
Oh yey, Hipsters with Man Buns and 6.5 pew pew repeating arms. Wots the world coming too.

To each their own, but the whole tactical lever action trend just makes no sense to me. What's the draw? Are they just great fun to shoot or what? From a practical standpoint, why not just use an AR platform?

View attachment 621211
So...I am going to give you my opinion without reading a single post in this thread other than the OP. I have 50 plus rifles in my safe, mostly bolt guns and ARs. I have a Henry Big Boy X model in 45LC. I shoot a 250gr bonded JHP at 1060FPS with a silencer. Nothing else I own comes close to the fun factor of this rifle. It is quieter than a .177 pellet gun my grandson shoots when he visits. You can actually hear the hammer fall! Still it is a 250gr bullet at over 1000fps. Makes me giggle every time I shoot it! All of the noise and destruction comes after the bullet hits something. An AR platform is a totally different animal. I need my ARs, but they are in a different spot in the tool box.

This is the problem. The action isn't capable of housing a 5.56NATO because it operates above 62,000 psi. The 45-70 operates at 25,000 psi and the 30-30 is at 38,000 psi. These rifles are chambered in cartridges designed in the 19th century, not the 20th or 21st.

And don't get me started with the 357MAG and 44MAG being designed in the 20th century because they are both well below 50,000 psi. Even the 223REM (cousin to the 5.56NATO) is at 55,000 psi and well beyond the capabilities of a mass produced lever action rifle.

The lever action is designed for lower pressure cartridges...period.

Not a question on tactical levers, but why does it seem so complicated to have lever actions be able to shoot modern high powdered ammunition ?

It is just a way to operate the bolt? Imagine one would take a R8 but instead of using the bolt handle, you would operate the bolt through a lever. I do not see any reason why a modern lever action could not shoot high powered rounds?

Browning BLR can do, no issue.

But if you have tubular magazine, then you need different ammunition, and this ammunition cannot be pointed, otherwise tip of bullet can ignite primer of next cartridge in tubular magazine on a recoil
I think that making vertical stack magazine is not a problem to make, but entire concept is not overly demanded on the market, so main models will remain as tubular magazine types.
Yes, any cartridge can be loaded with flat nose bullet, or rounded tip bullet including 223 rem, or 308 win, but how long it will take before someone less educated puts a pointed bullet in tubular magazine?
So, it is a delicate matter from a designers perspective, trying to avoid compensation claims later, and in the same with doubtful marketing prospect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robgab53au

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.