Supressors good and bad?

Axle2010

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I don't yet have a supressor but after using one in SA I'm going to order one probably next month but which? It'll be a 30 cal first and used in my 300wm and 308win with subs for pigs. I hear a lot about the Banish line but also hear their not as good as they claim they just have great marketing. Nothing but good talk about Thunderbeast but they are HIGH. So what do you guys use and recommend? The subs in 308 probably won't no used past 150 yards but the 300WM obviously will be much further so accuracy is top of the list then decibel suppression then size and weight. The 300 has a 24" barrel already so I'd rather not have a 14" can on top of that. Thanks for the help guys

I have a Dead Air Nomad L and love it. the titanium version would be nice due to the lighter weight, but it was released about a month after I ordered the Nomad L. The titanium version of the Nomad 30 would be another good option. My 300 WM is still very accurate with the suppressor attached and it is quiet enough that my electronic hearing protection amplified the sonic crack the first time I shot it.

The Nomad L is a longer can than the Nomad 30 and is a bit awkward on a 24" barrel - the Nomad 30 might be a better option for that. I had my 30-06 barrel shortened to 20" and the longer Nomad L isn't objectionable on the short barrel.

For the price point (lower cost) it’s hard to beat Yankee Hill Machine (YHM)…

I’ve got a YHM Resonator K.. and just ordered a YHM R45…

Stellar performance, durable, and very modular/adaptable across a variety of platforms and calibers … at a very reasonable price…

The dead air nomad Ti is the quietest 30 cal suppressor I have heard in person. I haven’t been super impressed with the banish 30, but I do have their backcountry awaiting approval. Weight and length trump decibels for me. My father has a Q Trash panda that I have been very impressed with. Do lots of research but also try to hear some in person if possible. Videos do not convey the sound of a suppressor well. Suppressor design is changing rapidly right now due to 3D printing and suppressors becoming more main stream in the USA.

Since size and weight are last for you.

I have the Texas silencer company “hunter 308” http://www.texassilencercompany.com/

It’s 9 inches long and heavy. But very very effective. Recoil reduction is even more with the added weight. And it has been on Bergaras (308) multiple Christensen rifles (carbon barrels and regular) and it has improved accuracy on all.

I picked mine up for 600 bucks. Not including the federal governments trolls toll….

The thing is built like a brick but for what I use it for it’s perfect.
IMG_4016.jpeg
Here it is on a carbon wrapped 20 inch 6.5 barrel, My friends rifle. He was sad to watch me unscrew it and take it home when we were done.

Last edited:
I would probably want to try one on your gun prior to buying it. I have some and thought how wonderful they would be on my Christensen Ridgeline FFT's. The rifles weigh a bit over 5 pounds and the suppressor really changed the balance of the guns. I will stick with just a brake for them. On some of my heavier rifles the same suppressor was no problem for me.

The previous poster had no issues with his. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
I would probably want to try one on your gun prior to buying it. I have some and thought how wonderful they would be on my Christensen Ridgeline FFT's. The rifles weigh a bit over 5 pounds and the suppressor really changed the balance of the guns. I will stick with just a brake for them. On some of my heavier rifles the same suppressor was no for me problem.

Yes this is true. But I have only had consistent issues when using light weight suppressors combined with light weight barrels/carbon warped. The light titanium suppressors have given me issues on gas guns as well. My 2 pound brick has made all groups shrink! I guess I’m lucky or on to something haha!

Suppressors should be a choice. Anywhere someone can own a rifle, a suppressor should be an over-the-counter accessory.
I agree 100%. The reason I never paid much attention before is that bs tax stamp but after using one in SA (where guns are restricted heavily but supressors are not, go figure) I think it's worth it. But I still hate it

Last edited:
I would probably want to try one on your gun prior to buying it. I have some and thought how wonderful they would be on my Christensen Ridgeline FFT's. The rifles weigh a bit over 5 pounds and the suppressor really changed the balance of the guns. I will stick with just a brake for them. On some of my heavier rifles the same suppressor was no problem for me.

I have one on my Ridgeline FFT and it's really not a big issue as far as balance.

I don't yet have a supressor but after using one in SA I'm going to order one probably next month but which? It'll be a 30 cal first and used in my 300wm and 308win with subs for pigs. I hear a lot about the Banish line but also hear their not as good as they claim they just have great marketing. Nothing but good talk about Thunderbeast but they are HIGH. So what do you guys use and recommend? The subs in 308 probably won't no used past 150 yards but the 300WM obviously will be much further so accuracy is top of the list then decibel suppression then size and weight. The 300 has a 24" barrel already so I'd rather not have a 14" can on top of that. Thanks for the help guys

I assume you are aware of the roughly one year wait to get a suppressor (tax stamp, trust, etc).

I don't yet have a supressor but after using one in SA I'm going to order one probably next month but which?
I have suppressors on all my rifles. Where I live I need no special permit for a suppressor, as long as I legally own a rifle they fit.

I would hate to be without them. They reduce the recoil which improves my accuracy.

I prefer the so-called "telescopic" type, which means the threads are situated midway up the suppressor, so half the suppressor overlaps the barrel. This makes for a more balanced and not overly long weapon.

I assume you are aware of the roughly one year wait to get a suppressor (tax stamp, trust, etc).
Yes I know that sucks but I'm trying to wait until Supressorfest that's at a range a couple hours from me in a few weeks so I can put hands on a few. I'm hoping I can get one before next season starts but not holding my breath.

I have suppressors on all my rifles. Where I live I need no special permit for a suppressor, as long as I legally own a rifle they fit.

I would hate to be without them. They reduce the recoil which improves my accuracy.

I prefer the so-called "telescopic" type, which means the threads are situated midway up the suppressor, so half the suppressor overlaps the barrel. This makes for a more balanced and not overly long weapon.
Yeah I would def prefer that type but I didn't know they were called telescopic. I don't think most of the ones in looking at are built like that though

One of the best bang for the buck is the SilencerCo Harvester EVO. I have this one but haven't been able to try it yet. It's used a lot on hunting rigs.

AB Suppressor is another company that is up and coming I believe.

One of the best bang for the buck is the SilencerCo Harvester EVO. I have this one but haven't been able to try it yet. It's used a lot on hunting rigs.

AB Suppressor is another company that is up and coming I believe.
I'm hoping they have a Harvester to try at Ares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joie026513

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.