Suppressors in Africa

The form 5320.20 is really very little work to do and costs nothing more than a postage stamp. I would recommend doing it for peace of mind with minimal effort.
that form is for a company not a person, I got approved in January this year but many did not in fact, a friend filled his out exactly the way I did mine and sent it to the same person at ATF and was "disapproved" 3 times nothing more he was told, but when you look at the form it is for business and you have to pay about 2500.00 per the State Dept for the permit and was told it take about 6 months. maybe it has changed in the last few months?

The 5320.20 is required for all NFA items EXCEPT suppressors (the 5320.20 rule clearly exempts suppressors)..

the 5320.20 is the form you are supposed to submit to the ATF prior to taking your NFA item (other than a suppressor) across state lines (from TX to New Mexico for example)..

Attachments

Well, as usual, different answers depending on who you talk to in the government. The info given to me by a CBP agent was to get the 5320.20 approved as an individual for temporary export. His statement was that the form is not necessary for suppressors in travelling within the US but the use of it for temporary export was applicable to me taking it to Africa. Mine was approved within a few weeks, and most of time was likely waiting on it USPS.

I'll be filing the 5320.20 again for my trip in 2024, will see how it goes.

Took my hybrid 46M on my 375 in August of this year. Took copies of the completed 4457 and form fours. Had no issues going to or coming back from SA.

IMG_5825.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again has anyone actually had an issue getting a silencer back in to the US? I say it would be more of a hassle to sight your rifle in again with a borrowed or purchased silencer that it would be to complete a 4457 and take your own.

As far a renting or borrowing a rifle once I get there that has a silencer...no. Whenever possible I want to use my own rifle. I'll accept the hassle of traveling with a firearm over the possibility that using equipment I am not familiar with might cause me to make a less than perfect or even a poor shot.

I have traveled several times to Africa with Suppressors with no issues at all. I keep my suppressors on different form 4457’s than the rifles for flexibility and most officers inspecting the rifles while returning don’t bother with the suppressors.

HH

Yes and I think it's generally a good idea to have separate 4457's for whatever you need them for. I think it's good to simplify wherever possible when dealing with agents of govt. I mix my equipment up from trip to trip sometimes so I pull out whatever 4457's I need for each trip.

Well, as usual, different answers depending on who you talk to in the government. The info given to me by a CBP agent was to get the 5320.20 approved as an individual for temporary export. His statement was that the form is not necessary for suppressors in travelling within the US but the use of it for temporary export was applicable to me taking it to Africa. Mine was approved within a few weeks, and most of time was likely waiting on it USPS.

I'll be filing the 5320.20 again for my trip in 2024, will see how it goes.
Before my trip this last May, I submitted that form and got a rejection back in the mail stating "INCORRECT FORM". Gotta love the consistency our great government provides

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdbull

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]