Suppressors in Africa

We have the Outfitter buy one for us before we come and use it when we are there. We then have suppressors when we hit country and we do not have to worry about all the legal crap. We have to go to the range anyways so the tweak to the optic due to the suppressor can be done then. We got each of ours for less than $500.

To cover your bases for taking it out the US and bringing it back in, fill out and get approval on ATF Form 5320. I had my form approved and back to me within 25 days of mailing it in. No issues at all with customs.

There may be concerns depending on your transit points and point of entry to the US. If you're are arriving to the US in a state that bans suppressors then there is some risk there. Probably fine flying on Delta out of Atlanta, less fine flying on United out of Newark.

this past April I had the form approved my buddy applies 3 times and was denied so he reapplied and sent it to the woman that approved mine and never heard back. we both took our suppressors and on return the customs in Atlanta never said anything about them just "I wish everyone had their paperwork as neat as you guys, get going .

this past April I had the form approved my buddy applies 3 times and was denied so he reapplied and sent it to the woman that approved mine and never heard back. we both took our suppressors and on return the customs in Atlanta never said anything about them just "I wish everyone had their paperwork as neat as you guys, get going .

So you had a copy of approved form 4 and form 5320.20 and your buddy just had the copy of form 4 and neither of you had issues. Is that correct?

I applied and it was approved but apparently got lost in mail. I've attempted getting another copy but can't get anyone to call me back.

yes I took my suppressor paper work, copy of my stamp, sales receipt and my approved 5320.00. but I buddy had left messages and no return call either. last year and early this year I know of a bunch of people that have been turned down, and an email I received was talking about changing the import/export permit process for suppressors, the state dept still considers it as a military munition's item. 4 friends had their PH buy suppressors in SA and only paid 300.00 but I think it is a waste of money doing that as you may not go back the same outfitter. now last year in Newark a fellow hunter told me he bought one in SA that had the holes on the end like a brake and they asked him what it was, he said it told them it was a muzzle brake and they said ok they did not look it had no name serial number or anything on it so he was going to do a form 1

yes I took my suppressor paper work, copy of my stamp, sales receipt and my approved 5320.00. but I buddy had left messages and no return call either. last year and early this year I know of a bunch of people that have been turned down, and an email I received was talking about changing the import/export permit process for suppressors, the state dept still considers it as a military munition's item. 4 friends had their PH buy suppressors in SA and only paid 300.00 but I think it is a waste of money doing that as you may not go back the same outfitter. now last year in Newark a fellow hunter told me he bought one in SA that had the holes on the end like a brake and they asked him what it was, he said it told them it was a muzzle brake and they said ok they did not look it had no name serial number or anything on it so he was going to do a form 1
How did you fill in the 5320? Looks like it is for firearms. Even (and sometimes especially) if paperwork is not actually required, having a bunch of paperwork often makes things smoother when dealing with officials. “You don’t need this form” is a lot more pleasant than “do you have?”

according to the guy at the State Dept says it is really an import/export form for business not us. did they ATF call you and tell you it was approved? I never got a notice it just showed, up but I will never mess with any forms anymore as customs does seem to care any more since so many people are taking them

An alternative if you dont want to deal with the potential hassles of traveling with a suppressor is simply to have your PH either buy one that has the correct thread pitch for your rifle for you ($150-$300 depending on what you want) and then just "gift" it to the PH/Outfitter when you leave (pretty small expense in the grand scheme of things when you look at the total cost of a safari).. or, ask if your PH has a suppressor in camp that you can borrow/lease for a small fee, and then get a thread adaptor that allows his suppressor to connect to your rifle (generally about a $20 investment for a decent thread adaptor)..

Most of the camp guns for PG have suppressors on them at @Bos en Dal SAFARIS .. and I know of at least 1 suppressor (.30 cal) that was purchased and then left behind by another AH member that could probably be used if he was asked nicely... I'd guess most other camps have a similar situation (suppressed camp guns and potentially additional suppressors laying around available for use while you are in camp)...

TPNI

Well I was able to email the examiner directly and she sent an electronic copy so I’ll take it just in case.

How did you fill in the 5320? Looks like it is for firearms. Even (and sometimes especially) if paperwork is not actually required, having a bunch of paperwork often makes things smoother when dealing with officials. “You don’t need this form” is a lot more pleasant than “do you have?”

Silencers are classified as “firearms.”

I have decided to take my silencers on my next trip to SA. The advise on the subject on this board, and elsewhere is always contradictory. Its even hard to get the same answer twice if you call ATF or Customs. Bottom line though, I know several people who have traveled to Africa with silencers with a 4457 and tax stamp and had zero issues returning to the US with them. On this board and others I see the same thing. Some say bad idea don't do it, but those who do take them do not have any problems.

Dose anyone have actual knowledge of some one having a issue getting back into the US with a silencer along with the Tax Stamp and 4457?

I have decided to take my silencers on my next trip to SA. The advise on the subject on this board, and elsewhere is always contradictory. Its even hard to get the same answer twice if you call ATF or Customs. Bottom line though, I know several people who have traveled to Africa with silencers with a 4457 and tax stamp and had zero issues returning to the US with them. On this board and others I see the same thing. Some say bad idea don't do it, but those who do take them do not have any problems.

Dose anyone have actual knowledge of some one having an issue getting back into the US with a silencer along with the Tax Stamp and 4457?
I think that is the right thing to do my man.

Why don’t you just use someone like rifle permits and let them handle it.

I have not made the trip yet, but will do so in 2024. I’ll do the same as you, correct/properly completed forms, by the book with the rules printed on hand & through a gun permit service. Good luck.

the guys doing rifle permits will not try to handle your suppressor with the USA, as they are legal in SA I do know a guy that bought a suppressor in SA and brought it back here all customs said what is that and he told him a muzzle brake and they said ok. I have been twice in the last year and a half, once through Atlanta and also Newark no questions at all and no problems. both times I took my stamp, sales receipt and my 4457 with the suppressor on it along with both rifles. I would not worry about doing it again, in fact 2025 it will go again

The best source of information on traveling internationally with a suppressor is in the article that @Green Chile posted back in August..

https://www.silencercentral.com/blog/traveling-internationally-with-a-suppressor/

TSA also has some information for you (FWIW they define a suppressor as a "firearm" and treat it like a firearm when it comes to travel)..

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

In a nutshell, yes, you can travel internationally with a suppressor (to a country that allows it)... many do..

There are obstacles and hurdles you sometimes have to overcome (TSA agents in general arent the brightest people on the planet.. and they are typically woefully undertrained.... There are certain airports where officials have been known to simply be assholes to hunters traveling with firearms (Newark held up a bunch of hunters over their rifles last year).. and coming back into the country, ICE agents often arent any smarter, knowledgeable, or better trained than TSA agents (sometime over a beer I'll relay my round and round and round that I did with ICE over bringing a BOW back into the US)..

But.. taking the suppressor out of the country is perfectly legal.. just follow the correct process.. and be prepared to potentially deal with dumbasses along the way (have your paperwork in order.. have copies of the actual laws/regulations/policies in your possession.. and dont let the idiots get under your skin)..

The alternative that I have found works for me is.. I just use a suppressed camp rifle.. and/or have considered buying one in country and just leaving it in camp when I leave (they are incredibly affordable in South Africa.. less than the cost of a Warthog in many places)...

I have definitely become spoiled and really enjoy hunting with a suppressor.. I just spent this past weekend in the deer blind with my suppressed 308... for me though its just not worth the potential ass pain in dealing with the "officials" on the US side of the equation to travel internationally with one..

Attachments

• Transporting Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration.pdf
    290.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Traveling Internationally With a Suppressor – Silencer Central.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 87
Yeah, they are so cheap and easy to buy there it’s not worth the hassle to me with dealing with any airport issues or more paperwork to keep up with

We sent money to our PH so he could go buy several suppressors in SA and then just left them there for our future planned safaris; he sealed them up in a box along with the ammo we left there for next time as well.. I think we paid about $300 each and they worked great. For the cost its a cheap piece of mind knowing you aren't going to be hassled on re-entry.

Once again has anyone actually had an issue getting a silencer back in to the US? I say it would be more of a hassle to sight your rifle in again with a borrowed or purchased silencer that it would be to complete a 4457 and take your own.

As far a renting or borrowing a rifle once I get there that has a silencer...no. Whenever possible I want to use my own rifle. I'll accept the hassle of traveling with a firearm over the possibility that using equipment I am not familiar with might cause me to make a less than perfect or even a poor shot.

Dose anyone have actual knowledge of some one having a issue getting back into the US with a silencer along with the Tax Stamp and 4457?
The form 5320.20 is really very little work to do and costs nothing more than a postage stamp. I would recommend doing it for peace of mind with minimal effort.

I checked with a friend who is a manager at US Customs & Border Protection (CBP). He said to definitely have a 4457 and of course your ATF stamp/paperwork with it and lock it in the gun case. That's all you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuneY37727

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.