Still worthwhile picking up a .416 if I own a 375 and 458?

While I haven't bought on yet, I won't say I haven't pondered it, or a .404J for that matter. I have been deterred from doing so in the presence of my current 375 H&H and 458 Lott because the funds I'd spend on such a rifle are going to be much better enjoyed on my next hunt.

I'm still set on buying a 416 even though here in Canada it will serve the same purpose as the 375 and 458.

There isn't anything the 375 won't drop here.
The 375 could be viewed as the 400m choice, the 416 the 300m and the 458 and 200m.

Might depend on the rifle in question .. There are some beautiful 416's out there.

From a practical standpoint, you don’t really NEED to. The .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and the .458 Winchester Magnum are going to cover all of your bases.

BUT

Who in the their mind WOULDN’T want another rifle ? By all means…go for the .416 !

The first big bore that I sold was my M70 in 416, I kept my A Bolt375 and 458, the only thing the 416 was good for was the extra power which can be duplicated in the other calibers but if you have to have it get it as you can also sell it

I have a .375, .416 Ruger and a .458 Lott as well a decent variety of lesser rifles. Do what YOU want. I used to .416 to take the buffalo in my avatar and several head of PG on my first safari. The Lott is going on my next buff hunt; not because the .416 didn’t work, but just because I want to.
The .375 was also on that hunt and I took a few head of PG with it. Hopefully, it will take a buff some day.
My Opinion concerning owning multiple chamberings is that I like playing with different bullet / powder combos, both at the range and in the field.

I have a .375, .416 Ruger and a .458 Lott as well a decent variety of lesser rifles. Do what YOU want. I used to .416 to take the buffalo in my avatar and several head of PG on my first safari. The Lott is going on my next buff hunt; not because the .416 didn’t work, but just because I want to.
The .375 was also on that hunt and I took a few head of PG with it. Hopefully, it will take a buff some day.
My Opinion concerning owning multiple chamberings is that I like playing with different bullet / powder combos, both at the range and in the field.
I like your selection there. I'm currently trying to fill out my cartridge collection with more magnums and general missing gaps.

Currently looking to add 7 Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 416, 470 and maaaybe something truly big one day.

Why not is an excellent round i would say advantages heavier 400grs bullets and even 350grs for plains game I would say yes i have my big game collection of 340wby,375H&h,375wby,458 win mag ,458lott,450 ackley magnum,460wby and duble chapuis 470Nitro and I must say
they look relly good in my gun displace and each have taken big game from trophy elk,water buff and cape buffalo .

Aside from "yes you should own one of everything...." is there much functional benefit to adding a .416 caliber to the collection if I currently have a .375H&H and .458 WM? I can shoot heavy for caliber 350 grain out of the 375 and light for caliber 400 grain out of the 458.

Does the .416 still carve out it's own unique niche?

Yes
400 Grain Woodleighs!!
I use those with a max load !!

I agree and I'm actively hunting for a 338 WM, might even go the semi auto route with a BAR.
I just bought a Belgium made BAR in 338 WM I've been looking for for years. NIB unfired with b.o.s.s. I've got a 300wm and a 375 h&h otw so I don't need a 338 but it was just too nice a rifle to pass up. Good luck in your search they're awesome rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maybell426

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]