Still worthwhile picking up a .416 if I own a 375 and 458?

It's definitely a need vs want scenario and I would like to expand my medium/big bore selection but receive the most functionality out of the various cartridges and rifles.

Right now my thinking is that it comes down to the rifle choice. Instead of buying another traditional wood stock/blued barrel/express sights type rifle, I'm looking at a compact rifle with laminate stock and stainless steel.

Out of the .416's im looking at the .416 Ruger specifically to fill this niche on the standard action, short barrel "handy rifle" that can be used at home in more inclement weather on bear and moose hunts.

I've also been having similar cartridge hesitations regarding the .470NE considering the ballistics of it are very similar to my .458WM, just in a more expensive package. Again the rifle itself (double rifle) and style of hunting I feel will be enough to justify the purchase of a 470NE down the road.

I have a feeling that once you cross over the .416 size territory many of these bigger cartridges have greater degrees of overlap and that you have to jump up a level or 2 to distinguish the level of performance and recoil.
A 20" stainless 416 Ruger is one of my favorite moose rifle combinations.

There is no correct answer. There's only what you do and how you feel about it.

People can give their opinion all day long. You are the one who will have to live with the decision you make.

There is no correct answer. There's only what you do and how you feel about it.

People can give their opinion all day long. You are the one who will have to live with the decision you make.
Do fully agree with BeeMaa

I have been having a similar internal debate lately. I have a 375 H&H as well as a Lott and have been eyeing a 416 Rem. What others have said is true. It becomes about what you want in the end.

Frankly once you have good 375 (or it’s German cousin) as the client hunter you really don’t “need” anything else. But that’s no fun.

I have been having a similar internal debate lately. I have a 375 H&H as well as a Lott and have been eyeing a 416 Rem. What others have said is true. It becomes about what you want in the end.

Frankly once you have good 375 (or it’s German cousin) as the client hunter you really don’t “need” anything else. But that’s no fun.
Atleast with your Lott your "spread" is greater than with the WinMag.

The 416s are much closer to the WM in ballistics and recoil vs the 458 Lott.

At this point I have a fairly healthy selection of cartridges between .22LR and 458 WM and I've been trying to fill in any gaps where they may be.

I currently have gaps between 30.06 and 375, 375 and 458 and anything larger than 458.

At this point I have a fairly healthy selection of cartridges between .22LR and 458 WM and I've been trying to fill in any gaps where they may be.

I currently have gaps between 30.06 and 375, 375 and 458 and anything larger than 458.
Enjoyed reading this post and responses. I too have a spread between a 375 h&h and 458 Lott and have also mulled the idea of a 416. This thread was helpful in realizing it's the solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Still doesn't mean i won't buy one at some point, but certainly not a necessity....

For that gap you have between 30-06 and 375, I'd say a 338 win mag is due more so than a 416! You won't regret it. I think 338 is my favorite cartridge i own.

Aside from "yes you should own one of everything...." is there much functional benefit to adding a .416 caliber to the collection if I currently have a .375H&H and .458 WM? I can shoot heavy for caliber 350 grain out of the 375 and light for caliber 400 grain out of the 458.

Does the .416 still carve out it's own unique niche?
Of course you do but you really need TWO... One in a bolt gun and one in a double. Then you will be covered!

Need?? Need has no place in a discussion concerning the acquisition of another firearm. Especially if that acquisition will be in a caliber currently missing from one's collection. Or in another variant of a caliber that one already has. If need had any bearing, why would any of us have more than a handful? Those living under draconian, foolish, restrictive laws prove the point; and have my sympathy.
Who knows? Perhaps the next one proves to be that "perfect" fit and feel. How will you find out without bringing her home and playing with her? :unsure:

I’ve been mulling around and debating the exact same question in my mind and was about to post the same! I have a range from 22 to 458 Lott, my dilEmma is I have 375 Ruger and 458 Lott and have been pondering a 416 something. First choice is 416 ruger and second is 416 Remington but in searching for components, I can’t find either, especially Ruger. I’ve contemplated selling the Lott, I bought new as 458 WM and had converted to Lott and have yet to hunt with it. All that said to say, I don’t need a 416 to “fill a gap” it all boils down to how much I want it and do I have the expendable money to buy. Good luck with your decision!

With the restrictive firearm laws over here in Europe I only can own 6 guns (shotguns and rifles). Therefore every gun is almost need to have.

That said if I could own more I definitely had bought some just for the fun of it. So if you want it just treat yourself brother.

I have still two spots in my safe. So larger than my 375 will be out of the question.

Long story to say, buy it;)

I don't see any gaps honestly.

It's definitely a need vs want scenario and I would like to expand my medium/big bore selection but receive the most functionality out of the various cartridges and rifles.

Right now my thinking is that it comes down to the rifle choice. Instead of buying another traditional wood stock/blued barrel/express sights type rifle, I'm looking at a compact rifle with laminate stock and stainless steel.

Out of the .416's im looking at the .416 Ruger specifically to fill this niche on the standard action, short barrel "handy rifle" that can be used at home in more inclement weather on bear and moose hunts.

I've also been having similar cartridge hesitations regarding the .470NE considering the ballistics of it are very similar to my .458WM, just in a more expensive package. Again the rifle itself (double rifle) and style of hunting I feel will be enough to justify the purchase of a 470NE down the road.

I have a feeling that once you cross over the .416 size territory many of these bigger cartridges have greater degrees of overlap and that you have to jump up a level or 2 to distinguish the level of performance and recoil.
I vote for your 470 DR route. Keep your 375, sell the 458, don’t buy a 416. You will enjoy the bolt action versus the DR more than the small nuance the 416 gives you versus the 375 and 458

Enjoyed reading this post and responses. I too have a spread between a 375 h&h and 458 Lott and have also mulled the idea of a 416. This thread was helpful in realizing it's the solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Still doesn't mean i won't buy one at some point, but certainly not a necessity....

For that gap you have between 30-06 and 375, I'd say a 338 win mag is due more so than a 416! You won't regret it. I think 338 is my favorite cartridge i own.
I agree and I'm actively hunting for a 338 WM, might even go the semi auto route with a BAR.

I’ve been mulling around and debating the exact same question in my mind and was about to post the same! I have a range from 22 to 458 Lott, my dilEmma is I have 375 Ruger and 458 Lott and have been pondering a 416 something. First choice is 416 ruger and second is 416 Remington but in searching for components, I can’t find either, especially Ruger. I’ve contemplated selling the Lott, I bought new as 458 WM and had converted to Lott and have yet to hunt with it. All that said to say, I don’t need a 416 to “fill a gap” it all boils down to how much I want it and do I have the expendable money to buy. Good luck with your decision!
Im also leaning towards the 416 Ruger, it's the most affordable of the 416s. I just wish it were more common.

Wasn't there some rumour that Barnes or Swift were going to start making ammo for it?

With the restrictive firearm laws over here in Europe I only can own 6 guns (shotguns and rifles). Therefore every gun is almost need to have.

That said if I could own more I definitely had bought some just for the fun of it. So if you want it just treat yourself brother.

I have still two spots in my safe. So larger than my 375 will be out of the question.

Long story to say, buy it;)
Limited to 6? That sounds horrible. I just hit 30 and feel like I've barely scratched the surface haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maybell426

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]