Sticks or no sticks?

Never used sticks until South Africa and now I use them constantly. I especially like them to rest My binoculars on when glassing and I regularly use them as a walking stick.
My young shooters are wicked accurate and very comfortable with sticks.
We currently use the Rudolph brand but I’ve used others in the past. Good sticks yes, cheap sticks no.
Sticks while sitting for a cross canyon shot in the east cape were awesome!

IMG_0199.jpeg

I simply have never seen the sort of terrain in Africa where a sitting position was practical. I did shoot my first buffalo off my butt, but that was from the slope of one ant mound islet to the next in the middle of a Caprivi marsh. I also shot a sable in Mozambique from sitting position using the trunk of a sapling for support. I can not think of another where the added height wasn't necessary to get a clear shot at the animal. I hasten to add that I have never hunted the Eastern Cape.

I would add, even wrapped in a sling, I find a simple tripod as steady as sitting position. In fairness, I also likely haven't used sitting position as much as many here. Prone is another thing entirely, but I have never been close to having the opportunity to use prone on a game animal in Africa.
20220821_094540.jpg

I shot this Eastern Cape wildebeest off the sticks but probably could have taken him from any position given the unexpected close distance and open terrain. My first black wildebeest the year before was shot in similar conditions from prone on a bipod at 370 yards.
20220823_160235.jpg

This Barbary sheep from the Karoo was shot off sticks steeply downhill at fifty yards with some difficulty. I had a window in the brush for open shot as the herd walked through. Getting the quad sticks readjusted on the steep rocky incline in time to shoot was tricky. If I'd sat on my butt it would have been a piece of cake.
20220827_133306.jpg

This is where the nyala was dropped. I was shooting from a small open spot on the steep face of right canyon wall. Sitting would have been ideal position although getting on my feet for follow up might have been a challenge.
20220828_110857.jpg

PH glassing for kudu. Sitting for a long shot here would have been much steadier than standing in the wind. Finding a spot for a prone shot might be a possibility I suppose but not easy. Too much movement.

It's been a while since the Great White Northern Hunter has reminded us of his superhuman prowess behind "Dad's Springfield".
Next post is surely about the 404 Jeff, or perhaps his feelings regarding any topic, relevant or not....
I aim to please. Glad you're enjoying yourself.

Similar to quad sticks, getting repositioned properly from sitting (= elbow on one knee) can require some effort. The difference being a lower profile helps conceal movement. Again, sitting position is not my usual preference. But the relatively few times I have chosen it, I always seem to make it work.

Last edited:
I’ve always used whatever rest worked for any particular field situation. Grew up and learned hunting/shooting in SW US mountains that way- from 22 to high powered rifle. I read O’Connor as a 12 y-o and a chapter in one of his books titled, “Use A Rest and Hit” stuck with me. Tripod sticks as used in Africa do work but require practice. Longest shot I’ve ever taken in Africa was sitting behind regular wooden tripod sticks spread way out that provided a perfectly still/stable rest. Shot an oryx across an open pan at 260 yds. All other shots in Africa have averaged quite a bit shorter- standing with sticks, off tree branches, prone, sitting… The most interesting rest in Africa (Zambia) was laying over a very wet and slimy termite mound that was imbedded in the middle of a thorn bush- buffalo at 60 yards.

Last edited:
I wouldn't leave the camp in the morning without my ASC shooting sticks. Used them successfully on a couple US elk and antelope hunts also.

Not sure why sticks aren’t more widely used in the western states.
I took mine on a pronghorn and mule deer hunt back in 2013. When I showed up in the hotel lobby there was a group of Pennsylvania hunters there. When I pulled out my sticks they smirked and said I wouldn’t need them as they had done their shooting across the hood of the truck. I told them I wouldn’t shoot that way and went out and met my guide. He said those people were a PITA so we went on our way and had a wonderful hunt. I shot my pronghorn at about 150yds off of my sticks and my mule deer from the prone position with my rifle resting on my backpack and the butt stock supported by my rolled up jacket he was across a canyon at 476yds.

I took mine on a pronghorn and mule deer hunt back in 2013. When I showed up in the hotel lobby there was a group of Pennsylvania hunters there. When I pulled out my sticks they smirked and said I wouldn’t need them as they had done their shooting across the hood of the truck. I told them I wouldn’t shoot that way and went out and met my guide. He said those people were a PITA so we went on our way and had a wonderful hunt. I shot my pronghorn at about 150yds off of my sticks and my mule deer from the prone position with my rifle resting on my backpack and the butt stock supported by my rolled up jacket he was across a canyon at 476yds.
In Africa someone is along to carry the sticks. When I'm solo elk or deer hunting, I don't want anything else in my hands adding weight and screwing up my balance. I prefer to have at least one hand free when navigating heavy cover or steep terrain. Also in the West there's often a natural rest at hand. When hunting the open plains, sticks might be an advantage but I would rather not be dragging them around all day. Sitting elbow on knee with sling reinforcement is very stable ... and highly portable.

I think a lot of hunters just don’t know better. There are a lot of applications for sticks. I took my quad sticks to Montana for mule deer. I bought a set a quad sticks for a friend in Alberta because he couldn’t justify the money not understanding how valuable they could be. He immediately saw the value for elk and moose hunting in fields there. Even here in Pennsylvania I carry them on walks for groundhogs. You don’t know until you know. If something comes along that’s better with no downsides I have no problem changing. I unfortunately also think there are a lot of hunters who don’t have respect for the animals they kill or wound. The Pennsylvania group you described possibly being an example. I see it too often in deer rifle season here.

View attachment 627629
I shot this Eastern Cape wildebeest off the sticks but probably could have taken him from any position given the unexpected close distance and open terrain. My first black wildebeest the year before was shot in similar conditions from prone on a bipod at 370 yards.
View attachment 627630
This Barbary sheep from the Karoo was shot off sticks steeply downhill at fifty yards with some difficulty. I had a window in the brush for open shot as the herd walked through. Getting the quad sticks readjusted on the steep rocky incline in time to shoot was tricky. If I'd sat on my butt it would have been a piece of cake.
View attachment 627632
This is where the nyala was dropped. I was shooting from a small open spot on the steep face of right canyon wall. Sitting would have been ideal position although getting on my feet for follow up might have been a challenge.
View attachment 627633
PH glassing for kudu. Sitting for a long shot here would have been much steadier than standing in the wind. Finding a spot for a prone shot might be a possibility I suppose but not easy. Too much movement.
:E Shrug: As I said, I have never hunted the Eastern Cape or Karoo for that matter, though I have spent a lot of time in the ranch country of Namibia. I try to utilize the technique that works best wherever I happen to be hunting whether somewhere on the African continent, Europe, or South America.

My first animal in Africa was an impala at .235 using short sticks looking down from a vantage point.
The last animal I hunted was a Fallow deer at 150m in Australia recently over a set of Primos trigger sticks loaned by a club member guiding me. Again, a new situation and hunting style walking in before first light and hunting with someone new.
I have also taken a deer prone over my backpack when hunting with a mate here in Australia.

In Africa someone is along to carry the sticks. When I'm solo elk or deer hunting, I don't want anything else in my hands adding weight and screwing up my balance. I prefer to have at least one hand free when navigating heavy cover or steep terrain. Also in the West there's often a natural rest at hand. When hunting the open plains, sticks might be an advantage but I would rather not be dragging them around all day. Sitting elbow on knee with sling reinforcement is very stable ... and highly portable.
Fair points. On my twice daily 3 mile walks on our property during deer season I carry my sticks myself and every couple of hundred yards I practice setting them up and getting the rifle up and on target be it a tree, power pole or every now and again a whitetail. But I’m not seriously hunting they are walks for exercise and over the years a handful of deer have been added to the freezer. For some reason on this property most have come on my noon time walks.

@375Fox , I probably should’ve left the state out, I’ve known some Pennsylvania hunters that were fine people and hunters.

I think a lot of hunters just don’t know better. There are a lot of applications for sticks. I took my quad sticks to Montana for mule deer. I bought a set a quad sticks for a friend in Alberta because he couldn’t justify the money not understanding how valuable they could be. He immediately saw the value for elk and moose hunting in fields there. Even here in Pennsylvania I carry them on walks for groundhogs. You don’t know until you know. If something comes along that’s better with no downsides I have no problem changing. I unfortunately also think there are a lot of hunters who don’t have respect for the animals they kill or wound. The Pennsylvania group you described possibly being an example. I see it too often in deer rifle season here.
I suppose shooting over the hood is just as steady, if not more so, than shooting off sticks. Growing up I did it a lot checking zero in the field. It works ... if you can stand the noise. Windshield and hood seem to funnel that blast right back in the shooter's face. Ugh! And of course make sure you don't shoot the hood. My brother's boss shot his ram that way: a 2022 four-door 3/4 ton. Those "sportsmen" from PA may have been shooting from the road = no ethics even if legal. Here in Ontario a loaded gun cannot even touch a vehicle or it's a citation. Or so I've been told.

Sometimes Yes, sometimes No. Depends upon your own personal shooting ability. Out beyond a certain distance, find a rest (it need not be the very odd to Americans sticks.) I can be quite the "tree-hugger" while hunting! Many don't practice it anymore, but the kneeling position (and others taught in riflery, including standing w/ proper use of the sling) can be rock-solid for modest range shooting. Practice makes perfect! Using the side of the sticks as a tree trunk can allow the shooter to immediately adjust the height without the commotion and noise of moving the "ancient African easel" around. 'Also don't fancy the American (Chinese lol) plastic versions featuring home depot wood clamp assemblies....lol Just too busy and noisy for quick, comfy, accurate shooting imo.

I think (I do not KNOW this for certain.. I am definitely not an expert on western hunts) it has a lot to do with carrying additional weight and bulk that most western hunters dont find necessary...

The guys Ive talked to that do a lot of hunting on foot in Idaho and Montana have told me that they absolutely use a rest.. especially when shots are long... but that rest is typically their pack... or they make an improvised rest/improvised sticks using their trekking poles, or they use a convienient tree branch, etc..etc..

Theyre walking as much as 10 miles a day (sometimes more), already carrying a 20+ lb load for just day hikes (can be a much heavier pack if theyre actually living out of the bag as opposed to deploying in and out of a camp somewhere each day), often at elevations ranging from 5500-10,000 feet, etc.. so every ounce matters.. as does every available cubic inch of the pack.. and since they have other adequate rest options available (already carrying trekking poles for example), its not worth trying to factor in another couple of pounds and a location on the pack to strap sticks down to...

The above advise was one of the primary reasons I selected a Mystery Ranch Pop Up pack for my upcoming idaho hunt.. Mystery Ranch pretty brilliantly designed a standard tripod type screw into the top, adjustable height, bar of the pack... so you can install anything from an arca rail to a yolk (yolk was the direction I went), etc.. so that your pack can be used as a very stable rest.. not just from the prone, but also from either the sitting or kneeing position (stand the pack up, and place the rifle in the yolk just like you would with sticks.. take a seat.. and then shoot...)...

Never used sticks until South Africa and now I use them constantly. I especially like them to rest My binoculars on when glassing and I regularly use them as a walking stick.
My young shooters are wicked accurate and very comfortable with sticks.
We currently use the Rudolph brand but I’ve used others in the past. Good sticks yes, cheap sticks no.
Sticks while sitting for a cross canyon shot in the east cape were awesome!

View attachment 627636
'Used that setup for Hippo (and many times for long-range woodchucks on the homefront.) Rock solid (2 sticks.)

I think (I do not KNOW this for certain.. I am definitely not an expert on western hunts) it has a lot to do with carrying additional weight and bulk that most western hunters dont find necessary...

The guys Ive talked to that do a lot of hunting on foot in Idaho and Montana have told me that they absolutely use a rest.. especially when shots are long... but that rest is typically their pack... or they make an improvised rest/improvised sticks using their trekking poles, or they use a convienient tree branch, etc..etc..

Theyre walking as much as 10 miles a day (sometimes more), already carrying a 20+ lb load for just day hikes (can be a much heavier pack if theyre actually living out of the bag as opposed to deploying in and out of a camp somewhere each day), often at elevations ranging from 5500-10,000 feet, etc.. so every ounce matters.. as does every available cubic inch of the pack.. and since they have other adequate rest options available (already carrying trekking poles for example), its not worth trying to factor in another couple of pounds and a location on the pack to strap sticks down to...

The above advise was one of the primary reasons I selected a Mystery Ranch Pop Up pack for my upcoming idaho hunt.. Mystery Ranch pretty brilliantly designed a standard tripod type screw into the top, adjustable height, bar of the pack... so you can install anything from an arca rail to a yolk (yolk was the direction I went), etc.. so that your pack can be used as a very stable rest.. not just from the prone, but also from either the sitting or kneeing position (stand the pack up, and place the rifle in the yolk just like you would with sticks.. take a seat.. and then shoot...)...
Many hunters buy the (too short) benchrest model bipods (6"-12"), but I far prefer the longer (30ish") versions that can shoot from about 12" to 2.5' which work perfectly in high grass as well as sitting atop rocks or in other open areas. Many phenomenal shots made w/ 'em. It's akin to a lower-profile, quieter shooting stick with the shooter as the third-leg anchor of the "sticks." I like the Harris Ultralight for long walk mountain hunts, spot/stalk and even varmint hunting. Very easily adjusted for height and sloping ground and in some models you may even rotate the rifle to level. They weigh 2 lbs and even add to rifle accuracy vis-a-vis the extra mass. This is how we'd practice w/ our mid-bore rifles in Summertime...
1724084754547.jpeg
1724084789648.jpeg

Last edited:
'fond memories seeing those old photos...We even practiced with any new to us bigger bore rifles...I remember using the .338 A-Sq (earliest variant of the now 338-378 Wby) and even 375 HHs on Woodchucks (and ran into another neighbor practicing with his 338 Lapua. It literally was a Blast and all the gun-friendly neighbors were amused! While the high V rifles simply decimate varmints, 'vividly recall the 375 using 270 & 300 gr TSXs simply tumbled them over, creating a small dust cloud when their torsos last kissed the Earth. Friends are egging me to try same w/ the 416, friend's 458 and the newer 470 before heading back to Africa. :)

On another popular hunting forum you can read where these guys will cut their toothbrushes in half to save weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoellaMath

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!