Spear Hunting

Capstick wrote about spearing a cape buffalo in one of his books (Death in the Silent Places, I believe). Apparently the spearhead was fashioned from piece of a broken leaf spring off his Land Rover. He had the week off between safaris and convinced the other PH in his camp to reluctantly go along with him as backup. The old bull he speared ended up needing 2 rounds from his friend's .458 to stop it from running him down.

his later books/biographies were not bad but take some of the stuff in his earlier ones with as they say "a pinch of salt" ;)

@UKHunter What are you basing this on? Most of the deer I shoot with a bow are dead in less than 100 yds just like a rifle. Also, the last 3 hogs I have speared have died within a minute less than 50 yds from where they were. I have had hogs shot by a rifle go a half mile or more. I'm just curious as to what gave you this idea that all spears are unethical and somehow compound bows are as well?

A spear actually kills quickly due to the very large hole it makes on impact. The hog in my avatar I speared at about 10-15 ft 3-5 meters and he went down on the spot. Most other animals I have speared (Mostly hogs) have all died within about 25-50 yds. With a knife it takes about 10-30 seconds for a pig to bleed out (when stabbed directly in the heart). While with a rifle it can take much further and longer (I have recovered pigs shot by others alive with bullets through the lungs several hours later). Nothing makes up for a lack of skill or shot placement, but our ancestors lived for thousands of years spear hunting.

@Petrus Geldenhuys
Cold steel spears (Sambaru for throwing, asagi for stabbing)

Gene Morris' Creed
  1. If anything can go wrong, fix it! (To hell with Murphy)
  2. When given a choice, take both!
  3. Multiple projects lead to multiple successes
  4. Start at the top then work your way up
  5. Do it by the book… but be the author!
  6. When forced to compromise, ask for more
  7. If you can’t beat them, join them, then beat them
  8. If it’s worth doing, it’s got to be done right now
  9. If you can’t win, change the rules
  10. If you can’t change the rules, then ignore them
  11. Perfection is not optional
  12. When faced without a challenge, make one
  13. “No” simply means begin again at one level higher
  14. Don’t walk when you can run
  15. Bureaucracy is a challenge to be conquered with a righteous attitude, a tolerance for stupidity, and a bulldozer when neccesary
  16. When in doubt, THINK!
  17. Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing
  18. The squeaky wheel gets replaced
  19. The faster you move, the slower time passes, the longer you live

The most important detail when hunting boar on the ground with a spear however is to either have a nice handgun for self protection or a pair of boots you can run really fast in. (10 seconds is a long time at 20ft)

The most important detail when hunting boar on the ground with a spear however is to either have a nice handgun for self protection or a pair of boots you can run really fast in. (10 seconds is a long time at 20ft)
ha ha, i believe you! We have done some Bushpig hunting with dogs and they seem to come for you everytime

Check out Tim Wells video's, seems effective!

I cringe anytime I see or hear the word "ethical" in the context of hunting as I think it just lends credence to the anti hunters and their arguments.

That being said, I feel like we as hunters, particularly trophy hunters to ensure that we are doing our very best to strive for a clean, quick, humane kill whenever possible.

The spear and knife guys here in the US really tend to turn my stomach, they make us all look like blood thirsty savages rather than responsible hunters.

If someone is that desperate to prove their manhood join the Army or take it to the ring.

I always hate it when people judge anything they have not participated in. People give me that "desperate to prove manhood" thing all of the time. The reason we hunt with a knife a spear is simple it is safer for the dogs and people. In a bay situation there is chaos a knife and a spear with an appropriate length blade eliminate over penetration. And make the situation far safer in my opinion than a gun. I respect everyone's choices I only ask that you don't condem people who participate in a sport because you don't understand it. Dividing and condemning parts of the hunting community is the goal of the antis. All I ask is you keep an open mind.

Uk hunter, I follow this conversationwith interest, but would caution you on making a bet so easealy denounsing the killing capabillities of a spear, or even take it for granted that a spear is inferior to a rifle or bow...Dont compare poaching killing of animals with a home made stick spear etc as seen on youtube with real ethical spear hunting. A real sharp 3" x 18" spear blade will penitrate a warthog completely, and the cutting action of the sharp spear blade leave a terrible wound channal (much more than arrows and most rifles). Agreed, shot placement is everything in hunting, but solo spear hunting without dogs , in my opinion, is the purest form of ethical hunting, testing ALL of your skills (and prsonality) to the limit! There is some more info and photos on this topic on another thread here, or you can contact me by pm for more info or some of my personal spear hunting experiences.

Studio_20160212_180637.png

I would be willing make a bet that out of rifle, bow and spear hunting, no tool would result in more wounded animals than the spear.

Last edited:
Petrus, in my opinion, no better way of hunting- pitting yourself against a wild animal one on one on its home turf without dogs, with only a spear.....
Just to try and get close enough for this requires more "hunting skills" than most rifle hunters shooting animals at a (very long ?) Distance would ever experience...
Studio_20160212_180534.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome hog, a true trophy when taken that way!

Thriller, I fully agree!
Hunting solo with a spear, is NOT for someone on an ego trip ,or to "proof "something etc. as some misguided souls might think.
You MUST be very careful, and NOT think you are Tarzan, as things could go south very quickly!
Here is my .357 magnum as a back-up while hunting with the naked blade....

Studio_20160210_172207.jpg

Good one ! o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yasmin96O9

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia