SPAM

This is the best hunting food story I've ever heard. Randy Newberg and the New Mexico 5 alarm chili! The good part starts at about the 15 minute mark.

Last edited:
I grew up with slim pickings and then married a Hawaiian. I like SPAM and have been eating it since I was a kid.

Musubi is where it shines. I take a few Musubi in my pack when hunting in Hawaii.

Edit: I was a Vienna sausage lover for much of my childhood on fishing and hunting trips with my grandpa. I think it must have been much cheaper than SPAM if that is what we were eating.

I would never had guessed Alaska as being a high consumer of Spam? Any idea how that took place.

Sometimes it can literally a life savor. Once fell thru a beaver dam and got soaked, fortunately I had hot water in my tent then Top Ramen spam chunks.

Lon

Hello again Lon,

To answer your question about so many Alaskans eating Spam, my best guesses are that perhaps the US Military brought it here by the tons, during WW-II ?
That would’ve made it plentiful and maybe sold at cheap surplus prices, as the war ended ?
Last but not least, perhaps due to its high fat content, Spam is popular in the extra long and extra cold wintertime of Alaska.

Where were you when you fell through the ice, … USA ? Canada ?
I have fallen through the ice more than once, while hiking to my Cabin, on Little Willow Creek, north of Anchorage.

Fortunately I knew the foot trail well, over the years that I walked it and always crossed all ice covered waters where I knew it was shallow underneath.
So, my thin ice experiences were not especially remarkable.

And Ramen ya, another favorite of mine when traveling light.
Spam chunks in it really ties the main course together, does it not.:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, Cheers for now,
Paul.

Last edited:
Hello again Lon,

To answer your question about so many Alaskans eating Spam, my best guesses are that perhaps the US Military brought it here by the tons, during WW-II ?
That would’ve made it plentiful and maybe sold at cheap surplus prices, as the war ended ?
Last but not least, perhaps due to its high fat content, Spam is popular in the extra long and extra cold wintertime of Alaska.

Where were you when you fell through the ice, … USA ? Canada ?
I have fallen through the ice more than once, while hiking to my Cabin, on Little Willow Creek, north of Anchorage.

Fortunately I knew the foot trail well, over the years that I walked it and always crossed all ice covered waters where I knew it was shallow underneath.
So, my thin ice experiences were not especially remarkable.

And Ramen ya, another favorite of mine when traveling light.
Spam chunks in it really ties the main course together, does it not.:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, Cheers for now,
Paul.
Hi Paul,

NearTrappers lake Buford Co. Fortuately I had my old paint hunting horse who I followed to my spike camp holding his tail. I never thought or didn’t get on and ride.

Maybe Alaskans are just smart.
Lon

Back in those days, there was a canned ham and chicken, I believe the brand name was Dak from Denmark. Again mixed with top Ramen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TitusPwz5

Latest profile posts

Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles