SPAM

Love spam! Fried for breakfast, in sandwiches, barbecued for a burger, or in rice for a side.
IMG_2060.jpeg

I don't mean to threadjack, so please friends kick me out of bounds if this is a stretch.

We've been watching a lot of sound videos lately where they explain that pretty much every health video points to a single fact: we as a race are eating crap. Diabetes is a symptom of metabolic disorder, its why women are becoming infertile and everyone has inflammation. It's HFCS, seed oils, and heavily processed foods that are killing the human race.

I'd love to get any recipes you may have for spam-like foods we can make at home with actual recipes that don't require a Ph.D. to pronounce.

I don't mean to threadjack, so please friends kick me out of bounds if this is a stretch.

We've been watching a lot of sound videos lately where they explain that pretty much every health video points to a single fact: we as a race are eating crap. Diabetes is a symptom of metabolic disorder, its why women are becoming infertile and everyone has inflammation. It's HFCS, seed oils, and heavily processed foods that are killing the human race.

I'd love to get any recipes you may have for spam-like foods we can make at home with actual recipes that don't require a Ph.D. to pronounce.
It’s ham and random pork scraps pressure canned with sugar, more salt than they mine in Utah, and potato starch. They give it a Keith Richards makeover by loading it up with Sodium Nitrite during processing.

What more could someone ask for?

On thread topic: I actually enjoy pan fried SPAM every 5-10 years. It helps correct for all the vegetables my wife makes me consume. ;)

Best foods mayonnaise in small amounts. SOS (chipped beef) on toast, just one more time.
Lon is so funny talking about spam…having hunted with him there is no spam served only incredible food more than you could ever eat which was such a delight and wonderful experience!!!!!

Spam is available in sealed plastic packets as well as cans. It's a lot easier to carry in the field than cans. I don't keep it in the house, though. Dirty Moore, Chef Boyardee and Hormel make up most of my canned rations at home.

A few decades ago I lived in some fairly remote areas where I picked up a taste for canned stuff.

Favourite feeds included.

Canned ham , canned cucumber and onion sandwiches.

Baked beans, hot or cold.

Sweetened condensed milk on oatmeal biscuits/cookies

Canned vanilla creamed rice and tinned fruit

Tinned braised steak and onions….drowned in Worcestershire sauce.

I’m salivating just thinking about it

Holding a horse’s tail for climbing steep trails works! Easier on the horse and the rider. Many experienced mtn horses are used to it. I’ve done it a bunch.

During my early grade school years, a can of Vienna sausages common in my lunch sack or occasionally “potted meat”… which I think is same thing as Vienna sausages where they came apart in the extruder then simply canned and renamed
- same size and shape can :):)

I remember my dad usually packed a can of spam for our camping trips. He grew up in the Depression.
Yes, horse can't just stop and start climbing very steep slope. It will fall over. Anyway, if it's already carrying half an elk, there's no room for you to ride. So hang onto the tail as long as you can ... or dare to. However, mares often get cranky if anyone messes with their butts. I never was kicked by my girls, not even shoeing them. But always felt hanging onto their tails would be pushing the envelope. Usually my brother was along to help. I'd get one started straight up up the mountain and let her go while he kept the other one behind. I struggle along and eventually reach the top where she is waiting. Get a hold of her and signal for Mike to let his horse go. Then wait for them. NEVER turn the two horses loose at once. They will run for the truck ... or wherever they think it might be. They won't leave each other. Often I had to bring the meat out solo and then only used one horse to hike with her to the carcass. My elk grounds were simply too steep for riding. Second horse would just be a nuisance. A problem waiting to happen. One horse will always wait for me.

Those were the days. I miss the smell of a sweaty horse. Sigh!

Hi Lon,

Since Alaska is the 2nd highest per capita consumer of Spam and I’ve lived here 42 years now, indeed I do eat Spam.
(Guam is #1 and Hawaii #3).

About 30 years ago, our Hawaiian neighbors introduced me to what has become my favorite Spam recipe’ .
They call it “Musubi”.

It is simply a slice of spam, well fried then, pressed against a rectangle of white rice and wrapped with what is not quite accurately referred to as “roasted seaweed” in English.
In Japanese, it is called “Nori”.

This “roasted seaweed” is not seaweed at all but actually farm raised algae, processed into paper thin sheets and dried.
(Not that what it’s called is especially important).
The main thing is that Nori is very tasty and is also healthy to eat.

My 2nd favorite way to enjoy Spam is to simply fry a slice or two of it and then place a fried egg on top.

Cheers for now,
Paul.
I believe it--I read years back that Hawaii was #1 in spam consumption per capita as a state. Lots of locals have to work 3 jobs to make it....spam or anything else economical could be their crutch.

If the preservatives in Spam are “frightening”, there is an all natural alternative… low in sodium, no preservatives, all packed in the world’s most perfect container. It’s called balut ;)

IMG_0008.jpeg

Last edited:
If the preservatives in Spam are “frightening”, there is an all natural alternative… low in sodium, no preservatives, all packed in the world’s most perfect container. It’s called balut ;)

View attachment 634941
I had to Google that one. Balut is hard boiled duck egg ... with duckling inside!
balut-1.jpg

Blech!

Couldn’t pass up the opportunity… for those a little squeamish about Spam :)

I took that pic on 1st Crumb Street in Digos City Mindanao Philippines while getting a tire fixed. Actually if you don’t like duck, 15-20 day eggs from chickens, geese of turkeys are also called balut. ;)

Couldn’t pass up the opportunity… for those a little squeamish about Spam :)

I took that pic on 1st Crumb Street in Digos City Mindanao Philippines while getting a tire fixed. Actually if you don’t like duck, 15-20 day eggs from chickens, geese of turkeys are also called balut. ;)
So you don't think I'm pulling someone's leg, here's a couple of 2024 Google Earth views.

1st Crumb St near Bataan St intersection in Digos and Google Earth, Street View on 1st Crumb of Sostento's Vulcanizing and Tire Repair shop that had the balut sign . :)

Screen Shot 2024-09-18 at 7.32.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-09-18 at 7.55.32 PM.png

There was one good big money person, Greg Norman (golfer), dedicated bowhunter and conservationist. To have met him.

Lon

There was one good big money person, Greg Norman (golfer), dedicated bowhunter and conservationist. To have met him.

Lon
Yes, I understand he also enjoys fishing… for “big bloody fish”. ;)

There are some huge money people out there who have their heads in the right place and are sincerely charitable by nature. Not all but some. As example, I know for a fact the leadership of Dole corporation promote that “culture” and operate with that philosophy.

Spam makes the best stir fry. Cut into quarter inch pieces and brown down. Then add your vegetables and cook it down.

I'll pass on the spam. We have scrapple. It contains everything but the squeal

Some thread drift but what the hey,… Following on theme of “big money”, good vs bad. Same can be said of NGOs. Sadly, many NGOs with big money are no better or the same as organized crime syndicates operating under a false banner of charity. By contrast, NGOs like Operation Smile (operationsmile.org) are real and do great work with minimal budget.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuvbfsgf365

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia