SPAM

Love poodle peckers! lol… especially when slathered in ketchup!

The only thing better is potted meat on a saltine cracker!

LOL....Never heard Vienna sausages called " poodle pickers" .

You can keep the ketchup. Tabasco sauce maybe....or not.

IMO....Potted meat....Yuck! A mini can of bottom of the self dog food. Last resort to being hungry after 3 days in "Hell on Earth".)

Last edited:
Spam kept us fed during "snowmaggedon" a couple of years ago. It was one of my favorites growing up, too.

How about some Devil Ham on crackers, white toast or some Cuban Bread. ;)

1726074691325.png

LOL......Can't blame you. Seriously you should at least give it a taste....just out of curiosity. Have it fried, paired with fried potatoes, and fried eggs over easy, and buttered toast for a breakfast meal....any time of day.

SOS (aka Shit On a Shingle): to properly correct your dad, meaning no offense...is hamburger in white gravy on burnt toast.....and is rather good if the toast isn't burnt.

Can't fault your mom as any "food" eaten regularly turns one off what at first was better than nothing when you're hungry. ie. like eating steak 3 times a day for several days and a plain bologna sandwich becomes a delicious treat.
My understanding is that proper SOS was a wwii army meal made with chipped beef.

My understanding is that proper SOS was a wwii army meal made with chipped beef.

Yes!.....However, by the (19)70's the chopped beef (dried beef, not jerky) was replaced by hamburger. And it is still quite tasty. I love it! (So does my step-dad, a retired Air Force, Vietnam Vet) and prepare it, although rarely, for naustalgia reasons......IYKYK....

Last edited:
Spam and eggs is a great meal in a rainy moose camp.
I think the big reason it's so popular here, Guam and Hawaii is that it traveled well on non-refrigerated cargo ships back in the day.

Spam and eggs is a great meal in a rainy moose camp.
I think the big reason it's so popular here, Guam and Hawaii is that it traveled well on non-refrigerated cargo ships back in the day.
Yep shipping
Spam and bully beef are a staple food in remote places and islands because lack of reefer containers and local refrigeration

That video...LMAO

1. His "chip beef gravy" is thick. What a soldier would get at the end of the breakfast serving time.

In reality the gravy was very thin and we never had that much chip beef in our gravy.

2. K-rations.....airborne and SOF Units.....C- rations (can rations) and there was nothing light about them. Although the nice thing about C-rats is the food was in Self contained cooking pot, aka the can.

The cans when emptied were cleaned and later filled with, normally rocks, then tied to wire or string and used as an early warning device.

3. Mermites are/were 3 canisters inside 1 insulated container. Each of the 3 smaller containers was suppose to feed 20 soldiers. Lucky if the last 10 soldiers received a full 3, 4, or 5 ounce "ice cream" scope (individual portion) of food.

Although the mermites were insulted to keep food at proper temperature they seldom did. As by the time the hot food was serviced it was either cool or outright cold and the cold food was cool to warm. And ice cream was a thick gravy consistency.

4. Totally agree with the part after eating C-rats for days on end, we may have gotten 1 or 2 K-rats in my time. Later it was MREs, after soldiers succumbed to food poisoning from out dated C- rats, as in pre WWII in the late 1970's. A hot meal from the mess facility was a welcome 5 star meal compared to what we had been eating.

Thanks for the video.

Damn it!! Now I am wanting SOS.

Last edited:
No not that kind, just good old Hormell spam. A can behind the seat or in the back pack has provided meals in temps from minus 50 to +50. Sea level to 35,000 ft.. Although the last one I attempted to take on a plane, they said I could use the lid as a knife.

I haven’t been able to eat lately nothing goes down and stays. So far so good and it expired in 2022.

Lon
We got Spam in Nam when back at base. Came in long green 10lb cans that was marked 194x. The stuf was still as good as spam can be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keysup

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better