Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
This Friday, June 28th will be a big day for my family, my dad @Shootist43, my 13-year-old son Trip and I fly to South Africa to hunt the Eastern Cape with Frontier Safaris. This is the third safari for my dad and I but the first for my son and my first DG hunt. The three of us have hunted together since my son was 5 but I never thought the three of us would get to hunt Africa. Dad will be 81 this year and can't walk very far anymore but he jumped at the chance to hunt the Dark Continent with his youngest grandson. Trip has been hunting whitetail with a 6.5x55 since he was nine and shoots well but we were a little concerned about using the old Swede in the Eastern Cape due to the average length of shot and the game in his package. This safari he’s hunting Kudu, Gemsbok, Wildebeest, Impala, Blesbok, Warthog and his top choice Nyala. Trip is 5’-8” and an athletic 140 lbs, so after a few trips to Opa’s (that's what Trip calls my dad) gun safes and several trips to the range he learned to shoot a 30-06, a 35 Whelen and the 300MW as well as he shoots the Swede. After talking with our outfitter and several people who have hunted the Eastern Cape Trip decided on a Ruger M77 in 300WM topped with a Leupold scope and Federals 200 grain Terminal Accent ammo. Dads primary target on this safari is Bushbuck, Lechwe, Tsessebe and if I can talk him into it an Aoudad. On this safari dad is bring a 308 Norma Mag and one of his beloved 6.5x55s, matched with 180 and 156 grain Norma Oryx bullets. As for me I decided it was time to hunt Cape Buffalo and blood the 416 Rigby. Thanks to @MarkOuellete I’m well supplied with factory Federal 410 grain Woodleigh Weldcore and Solids for this hunt. All the practice is done, the shoes are broken in, the backpacks are tested and loaded, the paperwork is complete, and our bags are packed, now its time to relax, rethink and repack.

Friday can’t get here soon enough.

You are going to love the Frontier staff and your hunt.

Before I went over a couple of years ago I let them know that I was old and slow and they matched me up with the perfect PH for my hunt.

I am so excited for all of you! The buffalo is going to ruin you! Look at what they have done to me I am chasing 2 in the Bubye, and have booked a hunt in the Save for next year
I can not wait to have dinner with all of you on Friday!

I’m going to be right behind you. Leaving Atlanta July 10th to start my first 10 day plains game hunt at Frontier July 12th. Can’t get here soon enough.

Hi Art, my best wishes for the three of you :D Cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richardtar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt