SOUTH AFRICA: MOZAMBIQUE: Off To Southern Africa With KMG & TMS & PPS

wayne just showed this to finn, and he said welcome to the world of guinea fowl chasing/frustration .........:E Big Grin:

"It did not take long before we encountered a flock of Guineas. I jumped off and started after them.
The Guineas would not flush. I walked faster. Still no flush, even though I was closing.

Finally, I ran at them. That's all it took. Mass flush and I took one down. Unfortunately, no dogs and a broken winged road runner made the bag a little light.
Damn."

In Namibia they stayed in the grass and at least they held and you could flush them. These open burnt areas, area pain.

Glad Finn can relate.

In Namibia they stayed in the grass and at least they held and you could flush them. These open burnt areas, area pain.

Glad Finn can relate.

oh yes he can relate..........when he has a rifle/shotgun they gap it as soon as the vehicle comes within sight, but if he hasnt they just look and then wander off slowly..............then you want to see sense of humour failure :mad::A Blowup:.......:E Big Grin:

One more kick at the can today.
Up and at em early and on our way.

Another road and another route.
IMG_9036.jpeg

We found a large herd of Sable and they melted into the thick cover and did not tear off for parts unknown. We moved in closer and were trying to see if there was any monster wanting to be hunted. There was one good Bull in the herd but they again moved off into thicker cover as we approached.

Turn the Bakkie around and head around the cover to cut them off in the next opening to the north. This is not some small chunk of bush either. Think in KM's.

When we got around to the next vlei we were scanning and could not see anything in the tall grass.
That is when a brand new road opened up. Simon directed Martin to head west and stay close to the cover and we all watched the edges in anticipation and we progressed.
You know those big termite mounds you can see in Africa, almost everywhere? Those are not the ones you have to worry about. Just like the Inselbergs they stick out like a sore thumb and you can avoid them. It's the 18 inch high ones that take out your vehicle or important parts of the vehicle.

After dodging the vast majority with alacrity, we finally hit one dead decanter with the right front wheel. Bang, to a dead halt. OUCH!

Thankfully nothing broken on the vehicle or us.
No Sable either.
hmmm. There are some tracks in the cover. That is long grass lying over in a nice swath. Ramondo says its the track of the herd. I am not convinced. Shortly, Simon verbalized his disbelief also.
They were not scared enough to run that far that fast.

They are in the thick stuff.

I made a joke earlier about the burns and hunting Sable with a match.
At this point Simon made a comment about my suggested method of hunting and sent the guys out to address the abidance of grass cover in this vlei.

Note the new road and the grass removal efforts in this panorama.

burn panorama.jpg

For some reason this one burned for hours and hours and the wind kept it going.
The Sable herd was in no way actually going to be pushed by this fire. They were actually up wind and way to the left of this picture. (Just to be clear)

We stopped by a small mound really of granite and parked and had a snack and immediately the trackers were off into the bush. I was wondering why.

Shortly I found out why. Lunch was being procured from a small chunk of water. It is amazing how resourceful these guys are. It was water the no one else knew anything about.

catfish lunch.jpeg

We went back and forth and covered a lot of country and were not seeing anything.

Finally, as it was getting late we ran into a Sable herd that were quite relaxed and feeding.
Turned out that there was nothing in the herd.
IMG_9092.jpeg

I thought there was a great bull in the herd. It turned out to be an absolute monster of a cow with amazing horns.
I actually insisted, with Martin backing the ID, that there was a good Bull in the herd and Simon and Kurt stalked the herd again. Getting in very close and finding the ID to be false. Damn that was a big cow.

The sun had departed and dark was coming fast. (Compare the last photo of Sable and imagine the lack of light in another 8 minutes) I do not have infrared capability in the camera.

We rounded a corner and bumped into the mother load. Huge herd of Sable in a Vlei not to far from where we had seen the herd earlier.
The herd standing in the open relaxed and just watching us.

Simon and Kurt lept out and round some bush to try and make a stalk.
When up on the sticks it was determined quite quickly that shooting light was gone.
Black animals and darkness setting in do not make things easy for target acquisition.

A little disappointed. Kurt still had a week to chase these things though.
That was my last sighting of wild Sable in Mozambique.

We hunted until the very last minute. It's too bad I could not be in on Kurt's Sable trophy.
Simon really wanted to be in on it too. Oh well.
Here's hoping for Kurt.

When back at camp it was determined what the flight time was the next day. Around 11 AM.
That required a wake up at 02:30 :sleep: and departure by 03:00o_O to make it to Lichinga Airport in time.

Dinner and early to bed tonight.

"You know those big termite mounds you can see in Africa, almost everywhere? Those are not the ones you have to worry about. Just like the Inselbergs they stick out like a sore thumb and you can avoid them. It's the 18 inch high ones that take out your vehicle or important parts of the vehicle.".........

bit like these wayne?:D
P1030616.JPG

EXACTLY. It is like a mine field. Just have higher grass and try and see them and drive through them.

Lots of fun.

The Egress.....

02:30 Came, not really so early but I did get some sleep.
Everyone was up and saying farewell. Crazy people,but how do you be silent in a tented camp with grass huts!?
Rusks and Tea and we were headed out by 0300.

Vera and two trackers i the back to bring the Bakkie back to camp. So, you really want to be a PH???
16 plus hours bouncing around in dust and crap to take a client to plane.

Thanks Vera.

We made our way out in the dark.

Sadly there are plenty of places close by on the road I would love to have taken pictures of, but for the lack of light I might have.

This photo is actually in focus, if you have had very little sleep and your eyes are bleary.
(Actually, with zero ambient light the iPhone could not focus)
Nacumua sign.jpg

This was our first stop to allow the folks in the back to rearrange and for us to stretch our legs.

During the next stretch on the short cut we saw several Genets heading for cover.
No other wildlife winning around in the dark.

Finally we hit the nemesis for my final crossing.

final crossing.jpeg

Can you see any where something could go wrong on this baby???
bridge 2.jpeg

As we were blowing past and the daylight finally arrived I started taking pictures on the move. Most were crap but I did get some that were worthy of sharing.

Fetching water in the morning.

fetching water.jpeg

At one of our stops during the journey this family was quite interested in this crazy man with a camera and they indeed posed for me and were incredibly friendly. Another time I wished I had learned more Portuguese.
family on the road.jpeg

This little guy was hilarious. I called him the karate Kid. Totally spontaneous reaction to us driving by. I had to laugh.
karate kid.jpeg

Washing day
washing day.jpeg

On the way to camp it was "bathing day". Surprise!!
Missed that picture. Honest.

For anyone who might be interested on the benefits of having a hunting Coutada, have a look at these pictures.

This is the alternative:
Deforestation

the alternative.jpeg

Which eventually turns into this:
cultivation.jpeg

We finally hit the tar

on the tar.jpeg

As we got closer to Lichinga the population started increasing and so did the guys on bicycles.
99% were hauling Charcoal. Wonder where the hardwoods are going?

Apparently the law allows for TWO Bags of Charcoal to be transported at any point in time by a person.
These two guys were obviously pushing the limit and risking some significant fines.
These were the uphill stretches where I got these pictures.
You should see the guys going down hill with this load ..... Insane.

Charcoal violation.jpeg

charcoal 3.jpeg

We hit the airport in good time.
Said my goodbyes to Vera and she was on her way to town to get supplies and tires and head back. Yee ha.

Waited in line and then had to wait some more while our electronic tickets were processed in the back office on the working computer.

Eventually we were ticketed and seated properly. I tipped the guy 40 Mets for changing my chair. he did not want it. I pushed it on him.
We headed up stairs to the waiting area for a snack and a beer or two to scarf during the wait.

The bags could not be checked through to JNB so we would have to grab them and do the whole security and check in thing again in Maputo. Oh well.

The flights were uneventful.
The one thing you have to get used to on these planes flying in Africa is the speed of the landings. This is not heavy air.
They come in hot and then hit the brakes. If you fly enough you notice it. Takes a little getting used to for sure.

Arrived in Joburg and Simon's ride grabbed him and Pieter picked me up and we headed out on our respective two hour trips to our next head rests.

Simon has a ribald sense of humour and can take as good as he gets and was well organized and directed the camp in the fashion he wanted to see it run.
Martin is a ball of energy that just can not stop moving and wants to chase things every hour of the day. He is affable, humble and also has a great sense of humour.

Vera: This Rhodesian mademoiselles' sense of humour can match any guy I have met on this planet. She has jokes that go from totally twisted to hilarious but always polite. Great company and has an encyclopedic knowledge of the bush bandits inhabitants (really scary actually). She also did not put up with any ^&*( from the male staff. I got to note a few lessons plans being presented effectively.

All the staff were polite and helpful toward me. They even got some of my twisted humour with the help of hand signs and gross gestures.

All in all, a good time for a short adventure into the hinterlands of Mozambique.

REALLY...???
simon has a sense of humour..........;);)

sound just like l imagined it would be, bricko .......

don't be like that................

Since I left you hanging this long I thought I had best get back to the job and finish it.
I'll be starting the back track through time and finishing this story now.

What do you need these for?
tracking.jpg

To follow this........
blood trail.jpg

Last edited:
Martin and I left Simon's camp at 3 am Tuesday morning, I left the Denver airport a little after 11 am yesterday. That was a LOOOONG trip. I still won't be home for a little over another week as I'll be spending time with family here. My computer skills are not real great, and even worse when away from home on just my Surface so it will still be a while before I can post a decent report of this hunt.

All I can say now is THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to Simon and Martin. You guys certainly did your part in making this a great safari.

Wayne, I think you took 50 photos every one that I took, so even when I get to posting, my report won't hold a candle to what you've already posted on this hunt. You're doing a great job of making me re-live that first week in camp!

To Simon and Martin, I hope your ele hunts are going good. Your camp should certainly be more active at night now than last week when I was the only hunter there.

The traffic sounds at night here in Denver are certainly different than hearing that leopard coughing around your camp at night!

I am glad I had a break in my trip home. I can not even imagine doing it all in one go. You are one tough SOB.
Glad you made it back close to home safely.

Your perspective is one thing your pictures and your story will have that mine won't.

If you need a hand on the computer thing let me know. Enjoy Colorado.

Just a tease
This is the Silver Ghost. By this I mean he is actually quite grey in comparison to all the other rams.
Grey Ghost is taken so Silver it is.
He disappeared after day one and finally came out and was bedded in a "perfect spot" for a stalk.
Suffice to say Marius and I were tested repeatedly. I hunted this one ram the entire day.
Freezing, stalking, circling, climbing, descending.

He did not get that old by being stupid.

This picture was from 114 yards from the opposite hill before descending into the "blood bank”.

silver ghost.jpg

Marius was up top at the Bakkie.

P1000128.jpeg

This is the terrain I am wondering around in.

P1000148.jpeg

Looking back toward the ridge where the Bakkie is parked.

P1000200.jpeg

This opening in the saddle had more game go through it than you can imagine. Nyala, Waterbuck, Bushbuck, etc.
P1000165.jpeg

The panorama from my seat.

P1000155.jpeg

The nice thing about stalking with a bow is you end up with LOTS of time. You must be patient.
The camera is one method I use not to go insane and run after the critters. It also makes you appreciate the surroundings and all the little things.

P1000144.jpeg

P1000154.jpeg

I hunted this guy for ten minutes to get this shot. Following him around as he flitted from dew drop to dew drop.

P1000156.jpeg

P1000157.jpeg

We skipped a day in the area to let the Bushbuck settle down. Getting in close makes them a little skittish.

I crawled back down the slope and started my assent to the other side of the valley to be in position.

One of the rams that moved across below me and we determined he was not quite the right size and there was no way I was going to catch up to him and get in front. So, a picture would have to suffice.

P1000208.jpeg

This was another crossing spot for game. Everything seems to funnel around this terrace on this hill. This is where I encountered a young ram at five yards. He was walking toward me following a ewe.I froze he came around the bush and nearly jumped out of his skin when he figured out what I was.
I had not determined his size so the camera was not out in time to get a picture.
P1000207.jpeg

I continued along this counter and ended up stalking in on Waterbuck and finally and nice EC Kudu bull. I was just under 50 yards from him at full draw trying to figure out exactly which stripe to send the arrow to when he departed. He was curled around watching me so I could not figure out proper shot placement in time.
An incredible stalk.

This is where one Bushbuck disappeared into cover. I had to investigate because I could not believe that he could get through this stuff.

P1000204.jpeg

Another rare beast of the EC. Not a monster but such an incredible animal.
He was hissing at me until he realized I was not going to hurt him.
P1000223.jpeg

This was one little treasure that I discovered on my wanderings and following Bushbuck in the cover.
An absolute highway through the bush.
If I had a blind I would be set up right here. :)

P1000206.jpeg

After the final go at the Kudu it was time to pack it in for the day and make our way out.

The first attempt at Egyptian Geese was managed on a pond on the top of the property.
P1000243.jpeg

The Geese did not cooperate.
P1000247.jpeg

Love the pics as well as your report. All of us here on AH appreciate all the time involved in a report like this. Helps us to remember Africa again and gives us animals and places to dream about. The flowers and butterfly pics are great. Thanks Bruce

Bruce, it's a bunch of work, but it is also fun to remember the experiences again as I write this up.
Glad you are enjoying it.

The day off from Bushbuck hunting was done on the Mpunzi property.

This was a very special circumstance that I got to encounter and not many get to participate in this kind of hunt.

Louw had arranged for a specialty pack of dogs to come in to try and cull some Black backed Jackal. The Jackal are "taking advantage", really they are a little to ravenous and focusing on the wrong spies for dinner.

Of course I know absolutely nothing about the layout of the property.
Everyone is joining in on this hunt.
There is but one goal, Jackal number reduction.

I am sent along an eastern fence and I set up my own little shooting stand out of available resources.

P1000170.jpeg

I situate myself at a crossroads of the boundary fence and an old internal fine that has been removed.

the panoramic view.

P1000169.jpeg

I can see 600 yards down the old fence and 250 in either direction on the boundary fence. Perfect.

We have assumed the Jackal are going to make an escape out the boundary fence and be easy pickings.
Little did we know.

I was given a radio to listen to the progress of the hunt and also communicate any useful info I might have. Afrikaans and Xhosa being my second and third languages I could really help out.
Most of the time I listened and guessed from the tone and also from listening the dogs baying as they chased the Jackal.

This is my view down the old fence line. The orange spots are the old fence rolled up in to balls.

P1000172.jpeg

I actually ended up seeing more Jackal than anyone else. They were not heading to the boundary fence.
They have a home range and they stayed in it and ran back and forth cross this fence line with impunity.

Dogs in the way, trackers in the way, Louw in the way with a puncture.

Every time I had a shot opportunity there was a safety issue.
I was using a 375H&H with 250 grain TTSX. Not something you want to skip off a rock in the direction of anything you cared about.
P1000176.jpeg

If I would have had a smaller caliber with a more delicate bullet I might have given it a whirl.

Marius' spot along the boundary fence.

P1000249.jpeg

One last evening Marius offered to give Jackal calling a try.
I do not know anyone who can call Jackal and Coyotes well.
Typically, people over call and jus educate the Jackals.
Marius is not one of those people. He knows what the deal is and did a great job.

Setting out the call
P1000358.jpeg

I gave my Ghillie suit a little exercise.

P1000361.jpeg

Marius had his camo on as well.
P1000359.jpeg

We had some response to the calling but nothing came right in and attacked. This is not like open prairie hunting where you can see the Coyote from a mile and watch him approach.

Looks like a lot of sable there! Which area is this in Niassa? Inside the reserve or outside? Coutada?
Did they manage to retrieve the leopard? Would love to see picture of what you guys were after in the midst of the night!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fox1

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt