SOUTH AFRICA: Kuche Safaris

The frequency and and almost pathological nature of some of the posters regarding this topic is getting somewhat suspicious......
Indeed it's even more curious considering the bulk is coming from one poster who, apparently, has only visited one outfitter two times.

Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in!
"Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in!"

I almost choked on my coffee laughing at that. :LOL:

Safe hunting

I'm not sure, as I start this, if it will be either relevant or coherent. But some of the different points brought up by folks on this thread compel me to type...

My take? Kuche Safaris - whom I know nothing about - offers varying levels of hunt experiences that many seem to enjoy, while others found some level of fault with. (Note: Brickburn said there are some who haven't been happy.) The majority seem to think Kuche offers a good experience, and my guess would be, depending on personal expectations and tolerance levels, they do probably provide a very solid experience for many headed to Africa for the first time.

My own experience is such that maybe I'm closer to the folks supporting Kuche than those who are not, because I've only hunted the same place, twice, and I will admit I feel a loyalty/affinity for that outfitter: in my mind what they offered far exceeded what I expected. I do not yet have the experience of another outfitter, to compare/contrast their hunts. I think the difference for mine is that the outfitter I used does not cater to large groups, at all, and that was a part of what attracted me to them. Having said that, for the gregarious first time hunter to Africa, perhaps where I hunted wouldn't have been as fun? It's all perspective, isn't it? Possibly another difference is the place I hunted, they own their lands (and the vast majority of hunting is done on properties they own), and are in fact adding to that acreage. So it's very controlled about how many folks actually hunt a property.

One thing I did want to comment on, and I don't have a solid answer for some of it - just observations. Something that was important to me when I first started researching hunting in Africa was property size and herds that were self-sustaining - no put and take. Having hunted those properties twice now, it very much feels fair chase to me. It was as much hunting as I do when I chase after moose or caribou here in Alaska, with the same level of skill needed to close the gap, and with the same level of chance of having a stalk blown. I asked the owner during my first trip about whether the herds were self-sustaining, and his response was yes. Some of the common species - blesbok, impala, warthog, kudu, zebra, springbok, and waterbuck, to name a few - were seen in such copious numbers that it'd be almost impossible for them to not be self-sustaining. I did wonder a little about some of the other species. Then on my trip over a few weeks ago, I saw signs that maybe partially answered my unspoken questions. While hunting gemsbok one day, we came across a herd of sable, complete with little ones (I am uncertain as to the term for a sable young). And on another day in some thick puck brush, while tracking an impala, we came across a dead eland calf, that wasn't very old at all.

At the end of the day, we all have to decide what works for each of us. It sounds like far more folks like Kuche than don't. The large group approach does not appeal to me, but that seems more like an individual choice sort of thing. I can't speak to other aspects of their operation because I've never been there. Some of what a few folks have said make sense to me, but I've no notion as to the veracity of what they say. It really comes down to knowing what your expectations are, and doing your due diligence before you go, doesn't it? And that's where this site is so freaking awesome.

My apologies for the length. I guess I was just looking for something to do over lunch, even if I didn't realize it.

Point in time measurements.
I have been contacted by others that have confirmed the OP's concerns. I have invited these other "unhappy" attendees to share their experiences and they are waiting until their trophies are in hand before sharing their tales. Fair enough.

The real point of the exercise is to ensure you ask the right questions BEFORE you ever buy, bid or accept a hunt. Make sure it is what you want.
If large volume providers suit your fancy then you'll be just fine. If not, find someone who suits your needs better.

I have been hunting with a large group of my own friends and I have hunted alone with an entire property/camp/concession to myself. Both are enjoyable if you made that decision beforehand. Ask the questions and know what you are getting in to.

Good luck with your research.
I too have had two reach out to me expressing similar concerns as the OP stating they are waiting for their trophies to arrive to share their experience

I have not looked but has the OP had the guts to back up her original post?

I'm not sure, as I start this, if it will be either relevant or coherent. But some of the different points brought up by folks on this thread compel me to type...
My apologies for the length. I guess I was just looking for something to do over lunch, even if I didn't realize it.

Thats pretty coherent, and not all that long.

It’s pretty close I think, most (all) properties bring in some fresh genetics when fences are involved even if self sustaining. Get a chance check out some of the SA game magazines that are full of ads for animal sales.

I think many operators are trying to give a good experience and thats what one should be buying. I didnt do my diligence when I did my first trip, more a volume outfit that was right in the wheelhouse of the guy I listened to; thankfully that hasn’t happened again with doing my own research.

Out of 9 outfits in Africa I have only repeated back to one, and it was kinda fun to see the same camp again. Shared 1/2 million acres with one other hunter both times, both were nice to have in camp and made for pleasant evening conversation at the dinner table. I can see why folks want to go back to a familiar place.

The frequency and and almost pathological nature of some of the posters regarding this topic is getting somewhat suspicious......
Indeed it's even more curious considering the bulk is coming from one poster who, apparently, has only visited one outfitter two times.

Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in!

Hmmm...the only point I have tried to make is that many of the assumptions made and conclusions drawn about the people who run Kuche and their operation are wrong.

I have no inherent draw to, or preconceived notions of what a African Safari should be. I enjoyed the comraderie of the large camp. Frankly, I enjoyed the many and diverse shooting opportunities the game ranches provided. My sons and I had a great experience, met great people and overall had a great shared experience.

That does not mean we would not enjoy a different kind of African hunt. I know we would.

The family that runs Kuche safaries are good, hard working honest people. They offer something there is a demand for.

Put and Take.....can I say with 100% certainty that none of the ranches they have access to ever add animals. I guess not. I do know that on the properties Kuche owns or manages that does not happen. It's a business, buying animals is expensive. Managing the properties carefully enough that the populations maintain themselves naturally is a better option ethically and for the bottom line.

Thats pretty coherent, and not all that long.

It’s pretty close I think, most (all) properties bring in some fresh genetics when fences are involved even if self sustaining. Get a chance check out some of the SA game magazines that are full of ads for animal sales.

Yes. They do bring in males from different populations to keep the genetics fresh.

Not going to comment on anything anyone else has said, but feel the need to voice what little I know.
I met Koos in Pennsylvania at the great American outdoor show. My brother and I went there specifically looking for an African outfitter. We had been given advise about another outfitter but
When we met we just didn't click. When we met Koos he was straight forward, no pressure and genuinely seemed like someone I would like to hunt with. We hunted with Koos in 2018 and had a great time! I have only hunted africa once so I have limited experience. there was four groups in camp for one day and then never more than three. sounds like he has grown in the last five years.
We hunted several properties that were huge. never saw anyone else in the field. The food was fantastic by fat southern boy standards. We were treated well and every one I spoke with was very pleased!
You can read my full report, I am planning on hunting with and touring with my family with Kuche
next year. Like I said not going to comment on anyone's post but op has never replied and in my mind
has no credence!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I hunted with Koos at Kuche in June 2022. It was my first safari ever, but I went with a friend who has been to Kuche a number of times. Only having North American hunting to compare it to, I was blown away by the experience in the best way possible. I've hunted whitetail, pronghorn, ducks, and doves across TN, GA, FL, AL, and WY. The service was excellent by my standards. We started with a few days down in the Free State at Amanzi. The accommodations were spacious and luxurious. We were the only ones there so I kinda missed the camp feel. After a few days, we made our way to main camp in Limpopo. While the accommodations weren't as nice, they were nicer than most of the US hunting outfits I've been to. The food at both camps was excellent!

During my safari, I was able to take eland, zebra, red hartbeest, common springbuck, blesbuck, bushbuck, steenbuck, duiker, warthog, nyala, and impala. I had a friggin blast! My PH (Otto) and tracker (Solomon) both busted their tails to make sure we had a great time. Some shots were out on stalks and some were from the truck. For me, it was a good mix.

As many have mentioned, Koos is direct, hard workign, and a genuinely nice person (as is his family). I will definitely hunt with him again.

If anybody has concerns or questions about Kuche, Koos, or my personal experience, please DM me and I'd be happy share.

Greetings to All, I typically don’t jump into frays like this but feel that there is something to be gained by doing so. What we have here, to steal a line from a very famous movie, is a failure to communicate based on perspective. I hunted at Kuche 8 or 10 years ago when Koos had a smaller operation and all guests got more personalized service. I remember pulling up to the gate with my outfitter and remarking at the name as I couldn’t pronounce it much less contemplate what it meant. My outfitter was just getting his business started and was using Koos’s lodge until getting his own place. There were other hunters in camp who were on a first Safari and having a good time. Most of it being purely social but they were pleased as evidenced by conversations at the dinner table. Service at the lodge was good and met my expectations but this wasn’t my first trip to Africa. When you book with a “ put and take “ operation, there isn’t much difference between being in Africa or the YO in Texas except for the plane ride. Point is, first timers don’t really have anything to compare to unless they really do some intel on where they are going. If you want to experience real Africa you will most likely not find it at Kuche or any other outfits in SA. You will have to spend a bit more money and lots more “ feet in the sand” time in some of the less developed countries. SA is good place to get started but at the end of the day you get what you pay for and your expectations will be met when you know what to expect. Africa is a wonderful place but is changing as is our home. Enjoy it while we can!!

I just returned from a hunt with Kuche Safaris. It was arranged by Jerry Noblin of JD Outfitters.

The hunting was outstanding.The animals are certainly wild are very spooky if they see or smell you. We hunted all week for a really hood kudu bull and finally caught up with him at last last on the fifth day. While hunting for that big kudu, I took mature examples of blesbuck, impala, and warthog.

On another property, I had an awesome hunt for a really old Cape Buffalo daga boy during which we experienced an unprovoked charge by an unwounded bull. He was an unforgettable experience. Also took a very large Zebra stallion on that property. Finally I took an outstanding water buck. My PH was Pete who was mentioned in an earlier thread and we hunted on properties that are included his family 30000 acre farm.

The accommodations were clean comfortable Breakfast and lunch were simple meals but were certainly good.

Dinners in the main lodge were excellent and included steaks from animals taken during the week.

I will go back and I will take my family. Koos and his family are fine people.

If you want luxury, then maybe you might want fancier accommodations. But for good hunting with good people, Kuche is a very well run operation. There were about a dozen other hunters in camp some mights but you and your PH and tracker will not see anyone else from the time you leave the camp after breakfast until you pull in after dark.

I recommend Kuche Safaris and JD Outfitters to my friends and family.

Also I would like to point out that we hunted large properties. I saw large numbers of animals including immature males, females and young animals.These were obviously self sustaining populations. Put and take doesn’t even make sense on a 30000 acre property in the Bushveld were visible is less than 100 yards in every direction. If you turn a critter loose, it might take 3 months to see it again.

These are wild animals and the hunting is no cake walk IME.

Which Province of Area were you hunting? Limpopo, Northern Cape/NW, or Freestate?

Which Province of Area were you hunting? Limpopo, Northern Cape/NW, or Freestate?
I spent every night in the Limpopo lodge, but one day we drove over two hours to an area where the bushveld and highveld comes together. It was very scenic mountain property. That’s where I got the big zebra and the old daga boy. The other hunts where within 30 minutes of the Limpopo lodge.

I hunted the Buck Africa property belonging to my PH’s family as well as Koos personal property about a mile from the lodge.

We also hunted a huge cattle ranch that Koos runs Buck Master cattle on.

Every property was unique and was an enjoyable experience. On Buck Africa property, I passed a giant bull eland because it wasn’t own my list. Foolish mistake since it an ancient blue bull with enormous horns.

Pete said I could hunt eland a dozen times and not see a finer bull. I believe him. I’m already talking to Koos about going back for another safari.

I just returned from a hunt with Kuche Safaris. It was arranged by Jerry Noblin of JD Outfitters.

The hunting was outstanding.The animals are certainly wild are very spooky if they see or smell you. We hunted all week for a really hood kudu bull and finally caught up with him at last last on the fifth day. While hunting for that big kudu, I took mature examples of blesbuck, impala, and warthog.

On another property, I had an awesome hunt for a really old Cape Buffalo daga boy during which we experienced an unprovoked charge by an unwounded bull. He was an unforgettable experience. Also took a very large Zebra stallion on that property. Finally I took an outstanding water buck. My PH was Pete who was mentioned in an earlier thread and we hunted on properties that are included his family 30000 acre farm.

The accommodations were clean comfortable Breakfast and lunch were simple meals but were certainly good.

Dinners in the main lodge were excellent and included steaks from animals taken during the week.

I will go back and I will take my family. Koos and his family are fine people.

If you want luxury, then maybe you might want fancier accommodations. But for good hunting with good people, Kuche is a very well run operation. There were about a dozen other hunters in camp some mights but you and your PH and tracker will not see anyone else from the time you leave the camp after breakfast until you pull in after dark.

I recommend Kuche Safaris and JD Outfitters to my friends and family.
@Ruraldoc congrats on your hunt! You should start a thread and write a report and post some photos. First hand hunt reports are always good infor.ation to see along with threads like this.

Greetings to All, I typically don’t jump into frays like this but feel that there is something to be gained by doing so. What we have here, to steal a line from a very famous movie, is a failure to communicate based on perspective. I hunted at Kuche 8 or 10 years ago when Koos had a smaller operation and all guests got more personalized service. I remember pulling up to the gate with my outfitter and remarking at the name as I couldn’t pronounce it much less contemplate what it meant. My outfitter was just getting his business started and was using Koos’s lodge until getting his own place. There were other hunters in camp who were on a first Safari and having a good time. Most of it being purely social but they were pleased as evidenced by conversations at the dinner table. Service at the lodge was good and met my expectations but this wasn’t my first trip to Africa. When you book with a “ put and take “ operation, there isn’t much difference between being in Africa or the YO in Texas except for the plane ride. Point is, first timers don’t really have anything to compare to unless they really do some intel on where they are going. If you want to experience real Africa you will most likely not find it at Kuche or any other outfits in SA. You will have to spend a bit more money and lots more “ feet in the sand” time in some of the less developed countries. SA is good place to get started but at the end of the day you get what you pay for and your expectations will be met when you know what to expect. Africa is a wonderful place but is changing as is our home. Enjoy it while we can!!
Well thought out post. My first hunt was in Tanzania, the area was great. I thought the PH was a god. After other trips I came to realize he was good, but there are better.

Grosse Tete?? The best true story of all time came from Grosse Tete. It involved the the Tiger Truck Stop, a woman trespasser, and a set of camel balls.

Well thought out post. My first hunt was in Tanzania, the area was great. I thought the PH was a god. After other trips I came to realize he was good, but there are better.

Grosse Tete?? The best true story of all time came from Grosse Tete. It involved the the Tiger Truck Stop, a woman trespasser, and a set of camel balls.
also her husband a big rig, a dog. Amazingly the woman had no teeth so no real damage. Sitting here by myself laughing out loud just thinking about it. Google camel Louisiana truck stop

Unless the OP provides more context and a full report, I vote this thread gets closed and deleted.
I don't think it should be closed or deleted; she has a right to express herself..... she may not have elaborated enough (which I think she should have done from the start) but I know there are plenty of people not happy with Kuche; I have heard some firsthand horror stories. To be fair, I have talked to experienced hunters who have been there, know what to expect and are "firm" with the PH on their own expectations and came away happy. Having 40+ people in camp is not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

I don't think it should be closed or deleted; she has a right to express herself..... she may not have elaborated enough (which I think she should have done from the start) but I know there are plenty of people not happy with Kuche; I have heard some firsthand horror stories. To be fair, I have talked to experienced hunters who have been there, know what to expect and are "firm" with the PH on their own expectations and came away happy. Having 40+ people in camp is not my cup of tea, but to each their own.
Seems like the early African hunters always had 40+ people in camp. From Wikipedia

Typically, the hunter was hired or booked by an outfitting company (the first and most famous of these was Newland, Tarlton & Co. in Nairobi); the outfitter would make the local arrangements, gathering and packing supplies and hiring the many African workers without whom a safari was impossible. Porters, tent attendants, armed guards (known as askaris), horse-trainers, and gun-bearers, all worked under the supervision of a "headman".[4] Before the mass importation of motor vehicles, most safaris traveled on foot and horseback and could employ anywhere from 50 to several hundred African workers.[5]

Seems like the early African hunters always had 40+ people in camp. From Wikipedia

Typically, the hunter was hired or booked by an outfitting company (the first and most famous of these was Newland, Tarlton & Co. in Nairobi); the outfitter would make the local arrangements, gathering and packing supplies and hiring the many African workers without whom a safari was impossible. Porters, tent attendants, armed guards (known as askaris), horse-trainers, and gun-bearers, all worked under the supervision of a "headman".[4] Before the mass importation of motor vehicles, most safaris traveled on foot and horseback and could employ anywhere from 50 to several hundred African workers.[5]
If there was ever an example of the phrase grasping at straws this is it. Comparing an early 1900s safari in east Africa to a hunt factory in Limpopo is a ridiculous comparison. The number of hunters in camp during old East African safaris would have only been a handful of friends at most and several professional hunters, never 40 individual hunters. There would have been a separation between hunters and staff same as there is today. However, if you want to use it as an example as you did the math at kuche would be significantly more than 40.
Hunters (40) + PHs (30) + Trackers (30) + Camp Staff (10 minimum) + Skinners (10 minimum) = 120 minimum during a peak week. If their in house taxidermy and dip and pack service is on site the number goes up even more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevin375

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?