AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Puro Pinche Low Fence Hunting
Hunted
USA, South Africa
What a trip! I will break this up and add to it in the comments.
About 10 years ago, my wife and I purchased a hunting trip to South Africa from Phillip Bronkhorst. We have not been able to take it for various reasons until this year. We became friends during that time frame and he and his guys have stayed with us several times during the show season.
We left San Antonio July 16. We flew Delta to Atlanta and then to Joburg.
We did not use a travel agency. We did do a meet and greet and the rifle permit through Travel Concierge.
Cornell from the PB Safaris met us and we drove the 4 hours to camp at Lephalale, Limpopo after we got in. The hot towels and beverages were greatly appreciated at our midnite arrival
blesbok.JPG
IMG_0423.jpg
IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg
Rifle- .375 Ruger with Zeiss 3x9 scope.
Ammo- Hornady 270gr SP-RP
My PH- Ruan Geyser. Great young man and he really adapted to me being hard of hearing. We only took old, mature animals. We passed up a lot of young, quality critters. That suited me just fine. There is a difference between hunting and killing.

Day 3, Thursday-After the requisite sighting in my rifle (moved it two inches to the right), we started driving and looking at the ranch and animals. I had a wishlist, but you know how it is, that can change in a heartbeat. I did take all the animals I wanted, and could afford. It's hard hunting with your banker! About midmorning, we ran into a herd of common and white blesbok running together. Ruan picked out an old common ram and my shot blew through both shoulders at about 150 yards. He had a lot of character, with worn horns and ears. After lunch and a slobbering powernap, we spent the rest of the day looking and spotting. There was a nice waterbuck bull that eluded us twice. Looking back, I probably could have made the shot through the brush the way my rifle performed. Hors doeuvres, a hot fire and a great meal and adult beverages helped close out the day.

Day 4, Friday-Early wakeup call today, as we had to be at another concession by 7am. Ruan drove it like you stole it on those washboard roads. This 16,000 acre ranch backed up to part of the Waterberg Mountains. Varied terrain, from sugar sand to red granite, this place had it all. It also had part of the Palala River running through it. The point of this day was a big kudu, and this ranch had them. We saw at least 25 bulls all day, most of them young. We baled out of the truck after one nice bull late morning. After a half mile, we came around a bush and he busted us. Didn't even have a chance to set up the sticks. We saw a really nice nyala bull and set up for him, but he was too young. Ruan said Phillip would make him pay for it if he let me shoot it. Lol
There are giant Baobab trees here that were not native to the area. Someone way back when planted a small forest of them. We ate lunch in that grove and then hiked to the top of a koppie where there was a rock blind overlooking a waterhole about 200yds away. We watched baboons chase off some impala rams and an old kudu cow.
We drove around all afternoon, seeing young kudus, golden wildebeest, giraffes and beautiful scenery. I was getting antsy about an hour before dark, thinking it wasn't going to happen. My wife started looking for an app on her phone to call kudu. Ha.
We were driving up one sendero and a big kudu came out left to right. The sun was a little bit of an issue in the back, so we tried to get closer to get a better look. Ruan asked me how close I needed to be, and I said maybe 200 yds and trying to compensate for the bullet drop. The bull ran as soon as he said it. I was pretty disappointed at this point.
With about 30 minutes of sun left, we made a left turn down another sendero and immediately Ruan says to take the kudu in front of us. The bull was about 100 yards ahead and facing left. He ran left and I couldn't believe he stopped. "Take him! Take him!" I held on his shoulder, and he took off right when I pulled the trigger. I saw him flinch and run. I told my wife I thought I hit too far back. We jumped out of the truck and started following him from where I shot. I could see some blood and then Ruan shouted, "He's down!" He only ran about 50 yards and crashed into a tree. My bullet had gone through side to side right behind the shoulder. Ruan was extremely excited and said this was a monster kudu. He had a bite out of his left ear, his face was scarred up, and his first curls had been rubbed down. The ranch manager measured him at 55 7/8" and 55 1/2". He said this bull was 8-9 years old and a perfect one to shoot. I was absolutely in awe of this creature and I had to sit down with him for a few minutes. I didn't have to time to think about shooting him, but now I did, and it was humbling.
There was a lot of congratulations and high fives when we got back to camp. But I had to share the spotlight with a client from Mexico who had shot a lion that afternoon. We had a great meal and more drinks than I should've, but it was special!
sunrise.jpg
Baobab.jpg
walking rock blind.jpg
IMG_0473.jpg
kudu.JPEG
kudu ear.jpg

Congratulations—I enjoyed your report and your photos and animals are fantastic!!

Fabulous, old kudu !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EzequielOd

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.