SOUTH AFRICA: Gizmo Family's African Safari Hunt

True hunting is an emotional rollercoaster. You are at the top of the world one minute and the lowest man can be the next. At this point I felt like Christmas was cancelled, someone took away my birthday (though the older I get the more I’m starting to feel this might not be such a bad thing), and someone kicked my dog all in one whack. Andri and Cabous did an amazing job of keeping my spirits up. They were both there when I needed them and gave me honest no bullshit assessments. Humor is a wonderful tool and both were quite liberal with the quantities of it. That helped me a lot. Another thing I would like to mention here is another person I'm proud and I hope I am able to call my friend that provided much need inspiration in an hour of need. I had been keeping up with Simon @TMS during the course of the whole hunt. As soon as we returned to the lodge that day during lunch I sent him messages updating him of the situation. After I stumbled back to my room that evening having to use Fred as a walking stick, though I’m not really sure who was more drunk me or the Blesbok, I had a message on WhatsApp from Simon. He asked me the location of our camp and told me he could be there the next day with some trackers to help look. What’s more he was dead serious! He has been up to his ass in crocodiles trying to get everything ready to head to Mozambique and was willing to drop everything and drive untold miles to help me out in an hour of need. I was floored. The kindness of this gesture was amazing to me. It spoke volumes of Simon’s character and the loyalty and fierce dedication of his friendship. This was a gesture I will not forget. @johnnyblues was also in the loop and provided more kind words of incouragment to keep me going as well. While I appreciated the offer beyond description Andri and Cabous had already phoned the cavalry and come morning we would have the owner of the property Marnus, some more ph’s, more trackers, and a helicopter. Through this entire event as well as this hunt Andri and Cabous went above and beyond the call of duty for me. They wanted that buff as bad as I did and were willing to do anything and everything possible to make it happen. We were at a point when I feel lesser ph’s would have given up and shrugged their shoulder but not Andri and Cabous, no these two were going to make it happen or die trying. I will forever be indebted to them for their hard work and steadfast dedication to me. Men of the caliber such as these are a rare commodity these days and despite the frustration of the situation they were a true inspiration to me. They kept me going through the foot sore miles and brought my spirits up giving me the drive needed to carry on. Pierre should get a huge thank you in this area also. At times I was a wreck and his encouragement played a huge role in keeping me focused and driven. Men like these are truly inspirational to be around and their good juju has an intoxicating effect that keeps one going through the lowest of lows.

I woke the next morning to a marching band playing in my head. I walked out of the cabin where Fred was quite obviously as hung over as I was. Fred was quite grouchy about the situation and I had the feeling he somehow blamed me for his alcohol problem and lack of self-control from the previous night. I managed to escape the pummeling Fred had waiting for me after doing the hundred yard dash to the main lodge with a highly upset tennis ball clad Blesbok on my heels. Unfortunately Fred was patient in his desire for revenge and spent the next several days plotting my demise and studying my patterns to set an ambush of swift justice. I told Cabous over breakfast that I felt Fred had an alcohol problem and deep seated anger issues. Perhaps some rehab or a counselor may just be the ticket to getting ol’ Fred back on the path of the straight and narrow. After breakfast we loaded up on the bakkie to go find a buffalo. I kept a watchful eye out for Fred as I walked to the truck but fortunately he had wandered off to bed down and sleep off his hangover. I felt in quite high spirits and confident. I had a good feeling things would work out. The helicopter and cavalry arrived and we set out to look for buff. The gyrocopter was quite a neat little job and had a closed cockpit. It was quick and agile. The pilot obviously knew how to operate it and within a matter of moments we were on buff. He spotted the main herd and as he followed them there was a buff trailing behind the main group trying to keep up. Adrenaline and hope shot through my veins and I thought to myself that had to be him. Cabous did some driving Mario Andretti would have been jealous of and Andri and I did our dead level best to hold on for dear life on top of the high rack as we set the tires a flame in hot pursuit to try and catch the heard. We made up the ground in a matter of moments and caught the herd standing in the open on a road. As we skidded to a halt everyone’s binos went up and we glassed in high hopes of seeing him. No luck, we glassed them for quite a long time. He wasn’t there. I tried to ask the herd where the fella with the limp was but they were in a pretty sour mood from the previous day’s shenanigans and the crazy loud bird and bakkie chasing them ruining their peaceful breakfast. On to the next ones. The plan was simple; the trucks would drive roads working at opposite ends towards each other in a horizontal pattern while the helicopter traveled over head in a vertical pattern. Ant time we found promising looking track a ph and some trackers would hop off and follow track as the rest of the group stuck to the patterns. It looked like an invading army skowering the bush. This continued until lunch when we had to release the helicopter. On the way to lunch we came up with a new plan. We were covering ground quite well but if the buff was still alive he would eventually have to come and drink. There happened to be a blind set up over the only water hole in the area. We would stick to the original plan but would place a group in the blind to watch the water at the same time. Trackers were dropped off in the blind with a handheld radio while we went to lunch.
africa 2 054.JPG
After lunch Pierre and I gave the trackers relief. This pattern continued with alternating people on the water hole while the others looked and followed track for two days. Marnus set a trail cam up on the water to keep an eye out over night when no one was there. Eventually after no luck and no pictures a decision had to be made. We came to an agreement that Andri and our group would leave while Cabous and Marnus stayed and searched for the buff. We had lost several days of the safari and were now having to battle the calendar too. The kids and my wife, bless their hearts, had been either stuck in camp or on the back of a bakkie while this drama unfolded and despite their obvious boredom never once complained and was quick with the words of encouragement. I’m blessed that I have such a supportive family. I was assured by all that the buff was mine and whether alive or dead he would be collected and sent to me no matter it be the next day or the next year. Even as I write this they are still looking and giving me updates. The day we left Africa Andri flew all the way back up to the Kalahari to continue the search. How’s that for a dedicated team of professionals! I truly can’t say enough good things about Andri, Cabous, and all who were involved. Never have I seen dedication like that and it was an honor to have had the opportunity to hunt with such a professional group of guys. The general consensus is that the buff had succumbed to his wounds and died in under a bush somewhere in the middle of the Kalahari. He will be eventually found but it is going to take time. I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think of it. I feel terrible that he had to endure what he went through and I was unable to humanely end it and prevent unnecessary suffering. We watch the video at least seven times and meticulously studied it. We had the ability to watch it in real time as well as slow motion and frame by frame. The shot was very well placed, a solid hit, and free of any deflection. At forty yards zoomed in with Pierre’s incredible filming talent the video was extremely useful and high quality and instrumental in determining what had happened. You can actually see the bullet strike and where it strikes. I will post this as soon as Igala has finished with the video and I have it. The cause, complete bullet failure. The bullet must have fragmented upon impact. If they did on a thin skinned animal like a lion then the heavy frame and mass of a cape buffalo was too much for the fragile bullet to withstand. Plain and simple, DO NOT USE HORNADY DGX OR DGS AMMUNITION ON ANYTHING LARGER THAN A KUDU!!!!!! While I have been a huge advocate of Hornady for eons, these particular bullets are garbage and do not function as advertised.
africa 2 075.JPG

Fred sober, quite the sweet respectable Blesbok
africa 2 058.JPG
africa 2 064.JPG
Unfortunately Fred can't handle his liquor and is quite cantankerous hung over.

africa 2 051.JPG

More to come folks stay tuned, I gotta go to work

Last edited by a moderator:
Wheels this s the first I've heard of problems with the DGS. Several folks on this site have had problems with the DGX bullet! I did not have any problems but would want to know from Gizmo what batch number his DGS came from as that is what I'm using on my hunt!
If you would like I will post the batch number in the morning when I get off work.

Wow Gizmo what a gut wrenching feeling to have to leave the search for your buff but you can rest well knowing you did everything you could to recover him! Great report looking forward to more!

Giz, you don´t know how much I am enjoying this report of your hunt, it is what I was waiting for, I want just keep reading and reading, you are doing a truly great writing here.........hats off to all that team that were hunting and supporting you there in the bitter moments, I know how it feel´s......you said it, big caliber people, also for those AH members you named before.....!!!!!

Waiting for more and more..........(y)

Wheels this s the first I've heard of problems with the DGS. Several folks on this site have had problems with the DGX bullet! I did not have any problems but would want to know from Gizmo what batch number his DGS came from as that is what I'm using on my hunt!
Oh Boy....

Oh Boy....
+1, I would seriously consider using a different bullet. The caliber is fantastic but the bullet is terrible and I definitely will never trust my or anyone else's life to it again. Other load options are limited but available.

Charlie call Superior have them give you a recommendation and load you a box while you have some time...

Super report and very good writing!!!
Hope you get your buff,at least you got a memorable hunt.

Gizmo,

I'm so sorry for what happened with the buffalo, but the way it was handled by you, Andri, and the entire team is a testament to the character and integrity that all of you obviously have. It is at times like this that you find out what folks are really made of!

And it doesn't surprise me one bit that @TMS offered to come help. You're right, he is just that kind of a guy.

Royal thank you, I feel blessed and honored to have hunted with them and furthermore blessed to have friends like all of them.

This is why I finally joined AH...to read the reports and look at the great photos! Your first African animal was a tad more exciting than mine. Mine was a Steenbok! I sure do sympathize on your lost buffalo. I hope they can find him for you. I wounded a Hartebeest that we were unable to find as well. It's no where near the financial hit of a buffalo, but I was still sick to my stomach on causing a beautiful animal to suffer.

Looking forward to the PG portion of your hunt!

Erik, my heart goes out to you on your buffalo hunt. It truly does...I know you are a dedicated sportsman and hunter, why do I know this? Because your words and feelings were so elegantly spoken on paper. You transformed you feelings to all of us here with your writing. I had a pit in my stomach when you first told me on whatsapp and now again as I read this. You had the complete pleasure of a wonderful team of professionals helping you in what can only be described as one of the worst things that can happen when hunting. Not being able to either track and find or walk up to an animal we just took it's life from is heart wrenching.

For Simon to be willing to come and offer his help speaks volumes of his character. My hat off to you sir! Fabulous offer. These are the kind of folks I want to be around. Again an amazing story so well written. Can I hire you to write my report?;)

Sure but you'll have to bring me along with you. I'll even waive my writers fee for a plane ticket lol

Sure but you'll have to bring me along with you. I'll even waive my writers fee for a plane ticket lol
Lol. Would be awesome to have you along on a hunt!

Wow. What a great report- your recounting of the lion hunt had me on the edge of my seat. You should use these posts as a draft for a book! I cant wait to hear about the rest of the safari.

I hope they find your buffalo.

What just a minute I already offered to do this so that will be 2 ticket there johnny boy. LOL

First class offer simon and Really shows who you are as a person.

Gizmo sorry to hear how the buff worked out but I am sure you did your part right. I am just glad I took my blesbuck before seeing all the pic's of fred I may never be able to hunt another SA goat.

What just a minute I already offered to do this so that will be 2 ticket there johnny boy. LOL

First class offer simon and Really shows who you are as a person.

Gizmo sorry to hear how the buff worked out but I am sure you did your part right. I am just glad I took my blesbuck before seeing all the pic's of fred I may never be able to hunt another SA goat.
Bill I'm normally not a centamental kinda guy but after Fred I don't think I could ever shoot a blesbok now. If I did it would be hard no doubt.

Omg, this having to be back at work stuff is for the birds. I left Africa and it was 50 degrees, I'm sitting in my patrol car and the outside temp gauge says 97. :confused:

Omg, this having to be back at work stuff is for the birds. I left Africa and it was 50 degrees, I'm sitting in my patrol car and the outside temp gauge says 97. :confused:

But its west texas so it is a dry heat.:ROFLMAO:

You could be walking a beat!!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brittney99

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?