SOUTH AFRICA: Gizmo Family's African Safari Hunt

Thank you, I hope its making sense. I have a severe case of jet lag going. :eek:
JETLAG!
You havnt got jetlag ,its called i havnt slept since i shot my lion syndrome!
Awseome hunt Gizmo , well done and nice kitty .

Once back at the lodge we shared some celebratory beers and rum and coke. Even Fred took part in the celebration. He had one and a half rum and cokes and some beer. As we would relive the tale and tell jokes Fred would nod his head in agreement. Of all of us there I think Fred had the biggest reason to celebrate. When you’re a Blesbok one less lion to worry about was a good thing. The conversation then shifted to buffalo. The original plan was to travel back to Hartsview to hunt buff, that was until someone made the mistake of mentioning the biggest bodied buff they had ever seen. The comment was made in passing but it had my full attention. Andri explained that he wouldn’t score well and that while this place had some nice buff the trophy quality at Hartsview was exceptional. This buff was simply an old warrior well past his prime. At this point absolutely no other buff would do. I could care less about scores and tape measures and if this buff was what my understanding of him was there wasn’t another buff in all of Africa that would do. Andri again voiced his concerns and wanted me to understand this buff was groomed down and wouldn’t be the impressive scoring trophy that the others would be. I had seen the other buff, they were impressive but the thought of going to war against an old, grumpy, smart dugga boy was all I could think of. Andri agreed to taking some time to see if we could find him so I could see him. He wanted to make damn sure I knew exactly what he was before I took a shot and that he wanted to make sure that I would take a buff I would be happy with. This buff apparently was missing a few inches off of his right horn but had some amazing bosses. That sounded right up my alley. About the only thing a tape measure is good for in my opinion is construction work and has no place in hunting. I’m not saying well scoring animals don’t get me fired up but an old smart warrior is much more of a trophy to me. Buff was what drew me to Africa to begin with. Nothing is more feared and respected as the old dugga boy. An entire lifetime of reading everything Africana has drawn me to buffalo and I couldn’t think of anything else I would want to square off with than this old man. I barely slept that night. Trying to come down from the excitement of the lion hunt and the excitement of the prospect of this old bull made for some serious tossing and turning.

We ate a quick breakfast and were out the door that morning. We covered roughly a million miles the previous day and hadn’t seen hiding or hair of a buffalo. Surprisingly enough we found a herd of buffalo pretty quickly. There were about a dozen on the left side of the road and a few spread out on the right side. In the very back of the spread out bulls was one buff that was half again as big as the others. He was absolutely massive. A surge of adrenaline shot through me like a lightning bolt. I was off the truck rifle in hand in the blink of an eye. To my amazement they hadn’t broke and run like all the other buff I had encountered. We had a bit of a standoff. Fortunately this allowed for some glassing but I couldn’t get a real good look at his head gear, he was without a doubt much larger than the rest. Soon the party was over which meant they were to break and run. Now the tracking chess game would begin.

Congratulations Gizmo, awesome report on what sounds to be the experience of a lifetime.

Again the trackers amazed me. In all of those buffalo tracks going in every possible direction they were able to pick out that particular buff. Once on track the stalk began. We tracked for miles. Hours of tracking just lead to more hours of tracking. I began to think we would never catch up to this buff. By this point we had tracked through lunch with no break. When on fresh buff track there’s no rest for the wicked. I didn’t look at my watch but it had to be around one o’clock at this point. The trackers locked up soon after this. The familiar soft whispers were exchanged and the ever so careful pointing was done. Not 40 yards in front of us were two buff standing in some thick hook thorn bushes. It’s amazing to me how something so enormous can hide so well right in front of your eyes. As I began studying the situation I began to see buffalo parts through the bushes. The lead buff was damn near twice the size of the other one. This had to be him! Andri got on hands and knees and crawled forward with the stealth of a cat. He sat on his butt with his legs in front of him glassing the buffalo. A few moments later he gave me a nod indicating this was the buff we were after. He motioned for me to come forward and instructed me to sit between his legs. He handed me the bino’s. There was a very convenient hole in the bush I could see through. The bull was facing us slightly quartered away. I looked him over and he was every bit and more of what I had hoped for. No he wouldn’t score super well and he was missing a few inches off of his right hook but he was exactly what I wanted. I whispered back to Andri that that was the one. He replied something to the effect, “Are you sure????”. I nodded, he’s the buff I came to Africa for. I’m pretty sure Andri thought I was nuts but there was something about this bull that made me want him. I was obsessed with this buff and my mind was made up. We had gone over shot placement in the perfect shot book on a facing buff. I had a pretty good idea where the bullet needed to go but Andri talked me through it. I was in a kneeling position and rock solid. Due to the slight quarter I needed to place the bullet just inside his right shoulder in roughly the middle of the part of his chest that was showing through the opening. Squeezed the trigger and the Ruger barked to life. I was in a good enough position that the recoil from the rifle didn’t even knock me off balance in the kneeling position. The bullet hit with a thunderous WHACK. The buff just about folded in half, he spun a circle and his leg flapped away from his body as he turned. In my excitement I failed to immediately reload and Andri said in my ear, “Reload!!!!”. This snapped me in action, I chambered another round and was on my feet in an instant. The buff was running away to the left and I had an opening in the brush. As I was getting ready to shoot again Andri and Cabous told me not to shoot. The other buff was running beside him and in the brush and excitement it was difficult to tell which one was which in the about half a second of opening we had before disappearing into the thick stuff. I knew the shot was good, it felt good and I was dead steady. Everyone agreed the shot looked perfect so we decided to give him some time to die. There should be a dead buff laying a few yards up in the bush. I waited to hear the famous death bellow but none was heard. I was told while that does absolutely happen but it doesn’t always happen. We shook hands and the bakkie finally pulled up with Mrs. Gizmo and the kids. I was excited beyond words. All in all we waited at least 45 minutes and took up the track. Not 30 yards in the bush we found blood. The track also showed that he was dragging a front leg. All early signs are great. We tracked and found sporadic blood. He would drag a leg for about one hundred yards then seem to walk it off for a while just to start dragging it again. At some point we found a chunk of meat laying on the ground. After about a mile we found him standing under a tree behind a bush. Given he was still paired up with the other buff we wanted to make absolute certain it was him. Andri was able to confirm this and as I moved forward to get a follow up shot he spotted me, in the blink of an eye he whirled and ran. I never had the time to get off a shot. He took off like nothing was wrong. We stood there scratching our heads wondering what in the hell was going on. We picked up the track again found a few more drops of blood and within a hundred yards he started dragging the leg again. It was obvious he was wanting to bed down buy the zig zag pattern in his tracks. A few times he even walked in a circle in some bushes trying to lay down. We stopped and had a quick meeting. Now while this was my first buff hunt I have been hunting my whole life. I have also been guiding North American hunts for several years now. It seemed to me that the thing to do would be to back out and give him more time. It was obvious he wanted to lay down and I believed if we would quit pushing him he would lay down and not be able to get back up. Andri and Cabous must have been thinking the exact same thing. They had a brief conversation and told me that we needed to back out and give him some time. My feelings were confirmed when I was told by both of them the same thing I was thinking and I had not uttered a single word. This was absolutely the right decision and I agreed with it and would make the same decision again.

We decided that we would go back to the lodge and have a late lunch and come back after giving him some time. On the way back to the lodge I began doubting myself. Was I over confident, did I pull the shot????? By the time we arrived I had convinced myself I had totally blew it and now we had a wounded buff in thick cover. Probably the worst, arguably, situation in all of Africa. This posed a very dangerous situation for everyone and I was boiling mad at myself. I ended up going to my room and trying to get my Sh$!#@#t together as I was extremely pissed off at myself. After about thirty minutes Andri came to get me for lunch but I wasn’t hungry. More bad news too, 5 of the seven bullets had been recovered from my lion. I was shooting Hornady DGX and DGS. Three of the five bullets were completely fragmented and had an estimated whopping 30% weight retention at best. The other two were better than the first three but far from adequate. Another issue, the previous day during the lion hunt I had inadvertently shot two solids. My fifth and sixth shot. We had been hunting buff the previous day and I had threw a couple of solids on my ammo holder. I had completely forgotten about it and during the excitement grabbed two and shot the lion. I realized this directly after it was over but the lion was down so no harm no fowl. Everyone assumed the two pass through shots were the solids. Wrong! One of the recovered bullets was a solid which had failed and broken apart. Well that explained why the lion took so many shots. The bullets would act much like varmint bullets upon impact and fragment. He handed me the bullets ( I have them and will post pics of them. I just need to take a pic) and I was sick to my stomach. Now the questions really started buzzing in my mind. He could tell I was in no mood for socializing and gave me a bit to collect my thoughts. Andri had took a pic of the bullets and contacted Hornady. He sent them the pics and politely asked WTF??????????? He was asked to get the batch number from the bullets which I plan on doing and send it to them. He also watched the film back which confirmed the shot was dead on. After they had all eaten he came and got me again. I was in better spirits by now and focused on getting this buff and finishing it. I requested that if anyone had a shot at him to please take it. No sense in him suffering further if he’s still alive. We picked up the track again and started to follow. Same story, the track went on for miles. Blood drop here and there, drag his leg for a while just to walk it off. He would try and bed down then change his mind and keep moving. We finally caught up to him once and he immediately busted us and took off. At this point I was ready to end it. As stupid as it sounds I just wanted him to turn and stand his ground. Charge or not I wanted the opportunity to finish what we started. No such luck, despite calling the buffs mother every unmentionable I could think of he kept going. He went to the only water hole within 5 ½ miles, drank, and left. This was a problem. There were millions of tracks in the sand and his were lost. About 30 minutes later the trackers picked him up. I thought there was no way they could have found his track. To my amazement within about 50 yards they found a drop of blood. My hat is off to the trackers they were truly amazing. We tracked for miles and miles, nothing. With about an hour of light left we found where he had gone in to try and rejoin the herd. At first we thought this may be a blessing. Once again we were kicked in the nuts. The herd had turned on him and whipped the ever loving piss out of him in the process wiping out every bit of track in the whole area and dozens of buff going in every direction. It got dark before we could figure it out but we found another piece of meat. Back to the lodge we went. My spirits were as low as low. Over some beer we came up with a plan. We would hire a helicopter, there was a man not too far away that had a gyrocopter and the rates were very reasonable but we would confirm in the morning. Fred, Pierre, and I sat around the camp fire and drank away our sorrows. After way too much to drink it was off to bed. To be continued…..

Last edited:
I hope you havnt gone to bed ?
I need to know the rest before i do the same !
Cheers Dory .

I hope you havnt gone to bed ?
I need to know the rest before i do the same !
Cheers Dory .
Sorry brother but it's 4 a.m. Here in Texas and I have to be at work tomorrow. Will continue on ASAP tomorrow. Have a lot more to come we are only on the 3rd hunting day of a two week trip. God bless and we'll talk to ya'll tomorrow.

Sorry brother but it's 4 a.m. Here in Texas and I have to be at work tomorrow. Will continue on ASAP tomorrow. Have a lot more to come we are only on the 3rd hunting day of a two week trip. God bless and we'll talk to ya'll tomorrow.
Cool Brother .
Sorry I can never get the time right .Its only 9 pm here in NZ .
Cheers Dory .

Very good report gizmo. Sorry to hear the bad news on the ammo though. Looking forward to reading more

Good story! And like I said before.....that is a big Kitty cat!
He just didn't want to give up!

Geezzz Erik I was holding my breath reading your story on the lion hunt....I m serious...I must have taken 3 deep breathes while reading it. Your report on Hornadys ammo is common from what I understand. I told you I called them several months ago and they completely denied ever hearing any bad reports on there DGX and DGS ammo. And they stood by them unequivocally. As I told you if god allows me to hunt either lion or buff I will have superior ammo load me the best possible bullets for the job. When I spoke with them after speaking to you they highly recommended Hawks bullets for lion and of course swift a frame or woodleigh or barnes for buff...Can't wait to hear the rest of your story. Great writing I might add...I seriously doubt I can put together a story this well after my return.

Again the trackers amazed me. In all of those buffalo tracks going in every possible direction they were able to pick out that particular buff. Once on track the stalk began. We tracked for miles. Hours of tracking just lead to more hours of tracking. I began to think we would never catch up to this buff. By this point we had tracked through lunch with no break. When on fresh buff track there’s no rest for the wicked. I didn’t look at my watch but it had to be around one o’clock at this point. The trackers locked up soon after this. The familiar soft whispers were exchanged and the ever so careful pointing was done. Not 40 yards in front of us were two buff standing in some thick hook thorn bushes. It’s amazing to me how something so enormous can hide so well right in front of your eyes. As I began studying the situation I began to see buffalo parts through the bushes. The lead buff was damn near twice the size of the other one. This had to be him! Andri got on hands and knees and crawled forward with the stealth of a cat. He sat on his butt with his legs in front of him glassing the buffalo. A few moments later he gave me a nod indicating this was the buff we were after. He motioned for me to come forward and instructed me to sit between his legs. He handed me the bino’s. There was a very convenient hole in the bush I could see through. The bull was facing us slightly quartered away. I looked him over and he was every bit and more of what I had hoped for. No he wouldn’t score super well and he was missing a few inches off of his right hook but he was exactly what I wanted. I whispered back to Andri that that was the one. He replied something to the effect, “Are you sure????”. I nodded, he’s the buff I came to Africa for. I’m pretty sure Andri thought I was nuts but there was something about this bull that made me want him. I was obsessed with this buff and my mind was made up. We had gone over shot placement in the perfect shot book on a facing buff. I had a pretty good idea where the bullet needed to go but Andri talked me through it. I was in a kneeling position and rock solid. Due to the slight quarter I needed to place the bullet just inside his right shoulder in roughly the middle of the part of his chest that was showing through the opening. Squeezed the trigger and the Ruger barked to life. I was in a good enough position that the recoil from the rifle didn’t even knock me off balance in the kneeling position. The bullet hit with a thunderous WHACK. The buff just about folded in half, he spun a circle and his leg flapped away from his body as he turned. In my excitement I failed to immediately reload and Andri said in my ear, “Reload!!!!”. This snapped me in action, I chambered another round and was on my feet in an instant. The buff was running away to the left and I had an opening in the brush. As I was getting ready to shoot again Andri and Cabous told me not to shoot. The other buff was running beside him and in the brush and excitement it was difficult to tell which one was which in the about half a second of opening we had before disappearing into the thick stuff. I knew the shot was good, it felt good and I was dead steady. Everyone agreed the shot looked perfect so we decided to give him some time to die. There should be a dead buff laying a few yards up in the bush. I waited to hear the famous death bellow but none was heard. I was told while that does absolutely happen but it doesn’t always happen. We shook hands and the bakkie finally pulled up with Mrs. Gizmo and the kids. I was excited beyond words. All in all we waited at least 45 minutes and took up the track. Not 30 yards in the bush we found blood. The track also showed that he was dragging a front leg. All early signs are great. We tracked and found sporadic blood. He would drag a leg for about one hundred yards then seem to walk it off for a while just to start dragging it again. At some point we found a chunk of meat laying on the ground. After about a mile we found him standing under a tree behind a bush. Given he was still paired up with the other buff we wanted to make absolute certain it was him. Andri was able to confirm this and as I moved forward to get a follow up shot he spotted me, in the blink of an eye he whirled and ran. I never had the time to get off a shot. He took off like nothing was wrong. We stood there scratching our heads wondering what in the hell was going on. We picked up the track again found a few more drops of blood and within a hundred yards he started dragging the leg again. It was obvious he was wanting to bed down buy the zig zag pattern in his tracks. A few times he even walked in a circle in some bushes trying to lay down. We stopped and had a quick meeting. Now while this was my first buff hunt I have been hunting my whole life. I have also been guiding North American hunts for several years now. It seemed to me that the thing to do would be to back out and give him more time. It was obvious he wanted to lay down and I believed if we would quit pushing him he would lay down and not be able to get back up. Andri and Cabous must have been thinking the exact same thing. They had a brief conversation and told me that we needed to back out and give him some time. My feelings were confirmed when I was told by both of them the same thing I was thinking and I had not uttered a single word. This was absolutely the right decision and I agreed with it and would make the same decision again.

We decided that we would go back to the lodge and have a late lunch and come back after giving him some time. On the way back to the lodge I began doubting myself. Was I over confident, did I pull the shot????? By the time we arrived I had convinced myself I had totally blew it and now we had a wounded buff in thick cover. Probably the worst, arguably, situation in all of Africa. This posed a very dangerous situation for everyone and I was boiling mad at myself. I ended up going to my room and trying to get my Sh$!#@#t together as I was extremely pissed off at myself. After about thirty minutes Andri came to get me for lunch but I wasn’t hungry. More bad news too, 5 of the seven bullets had been recovered from my lion. I was shooting Hornady DGX and DGS. Three of the five bullets were completely fragmented and had an estimated whopping 30% weight retention at best. The other two were better than the first three but far from adequate. Another issue, the previous day during the lion hunt I had inadvertently shot two solids. My fifth and sixth shot. We had been hunting buff the previous day and I had threw a couple of solids on my ammo holder. I had completely forgotten about it and during the excitement grabbed two and shot the lion. I realized this directly after it was over but the lion was down so no harm no fowl. Everyone assumed the two pass through shots were the solids. Wrong! One of the recovered bullets was a solid which had failed and broken apart. Well that explained why the lion took so many shots. The bullets would act much like varmint bullets upon impact and fragment. He handed me the bullets ( I have them and will post pics of them. I just need to take a pic) and I was sick to my stomach. Now the questions really started buzzing in my mind. He could tell I was in no mood for socializing and gave me a bit to collect my thoughts. Andri had took a pic of the bullets and contacted Hornady. He sent them the pics and politely asked WTF??????????? He was asked to get the batch number from the bullets which I plan on doing and send it to them. He also watched the film back which confirmed the shot was dead on. After they had all eaten he came and got me again. I was in better spirits by now and focused on getting this buff and finishing it. I requested that if anyone had a shot at him to please take it. No sense in him suffering further if he’s still alive. We picked up the track again and started to follow. Same story, the track went on for miles. Blood drop here and there, drag his leg for a while just to walk it off. He would try and bed down then change his mind and keep moving. We finally caught up to him once and he immediately busted us and took off. At this point I was ready to end it. As stupid as it sounds I just wanted him to turn and stand his ground. Charge or not I wanted the opportunity to finish what we started. No such luck, despite calling the buffs mother every unmentionable I could think of he kept going. He went to the only water hole within 5 ½ miles, drank, and left. This was a problem. There were millions of tracks in the sand and his were lost. About 30 minutes later the trackers picked him up. I thought there was no way they could have found his track. To my amazement within about 50 yards they found a drop of blood. My hat is off to the trackers they were truly amazing. We tracked for miles and miles, nothing. With about an hour of light left we found where he had gone in to try and rejoin the herd. At first we thought this may be a blessing. Once again we were kicked in the nuts. The herd had turned on him and whipped the ever loving piss out of him in the process wiping out every bit of track in the whole area and dozens of buff going in every direction. It got dark before we could figure it out but we found another piece of meat. Back to the lodge we went. My spirits were as low as low. Over some beer we came up with a plan. We would hire a helicopter, there was a man not too far away that had a gyrocopter and the rates were very reasonable but we would confirm in the morning. Fred, Pierre, and I sat around the camp fire and drank away our sorrows. After way too much to drink it was off to bed. To be continued…..

Erik, great report so far! This isn't intended to rub salt in an open wound as it were, but thank you for your brutal honesty regarding the DGX/DGS bullets.

@Panielsen, you were asking about these bullets in your .458 M70 thread. I'd like to say this is the first bad report I've read on the DGX/DGS bullets, but it isn't. There are numerous reports posted on the internet over the last few years that read just like this one.

Your right Phil....Wish Erik would have mentioned he was using their ammo to me, I would have tried to steer him away. I too have a friend that came that came back from Australia on a water buffalo hunt and was very unhappy with the results on his Hornady ammo. Swore them off for good.

Great report. You're writing style is enjoyable and focused. Keep it up!

R.

Your right Phil....Wish Erik would have mentioned he was using their ammo to me, I would have tried to steer him away. I too have a friend that came that came back from Australia on a water buffalo hunt and was very unhappy with the results on his Hornady ammo. Swore them off for good.

Just glad he was able to come back and tell his story. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's called DG hunting for a reason. I have a lot of respect and overall positive thoughts regarding Hornady. They provide plenty of great products to shooters/hunters, but not this bullet combo.

Gizmo, you should be writing books for a living! Very entertaining and informative, thank you. (y)(y)

Gizmo,

fillet o Gizmo :-)! Great story! Thank you for taking the time to draw us into the hunt with you. I can almost feel the thorns ... I can almost hear the sounds .. I can almost feel 7 thumps from your Ruger ... and I can definitely feel your passion and respect for your lion! Well done. We want more.

PS Glad to see you start this thread with Mrs. Gizmo and the Gizmoettes, it really adds to the family safari theme.

Just glad he was able to come back and tell his story. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's called DG hunting for a reason. I have a lot of respect and overall positive thoughts regarding Hornady. They provide plenty of great products to shooters/hunters, but not this bullet combo.
Your right, my friend was using their 375 Ruger when this happened. I recently bought the same gun but in the back of my head I always thought when ready to hunt DG I would have Superior Ammo load some bullets for me. I will take the gun to Namibia with me if I have an opportunity to hunt PG like eland/kudu I ll use it on them with there 270gr SP factory ammo. But I will NEVER use it on DG, too many bad reports.

Erik,

You know your breaking the rules. Your first animal in Africa is supposed to be an impala, blesbok, warthog......:)

As has been mentioned, there are a number of reports of DGX not performing, but I can't recall problems with the DGS. Maybe I have missed them. Photos will certainly be appreciated.(y)

Great writing, Erik, that lion hunt was quite an experience!

Wheels this s the first I've heard of problems with the DGS. Several folks on this site have had problems with the DGX bullet! I did not have any problems but would want to know from Gizmo what batch number his DGS came from as that is what I'm using on my hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coffeee9633

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?