AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, Canada, & South Africa
Hello All,

I want to start off thanking everyone on this forum for the information I used to accomplish my first Safari. Decided to book two hunts. First was 10 days in the Eastern Cape with @KMG Hunting Safaris and second being with @BAYLY SIPPEL SAFARIS near Kruger National Park. I used @riflepermits.com to get my two rifles into the country and well worth it!

In the Eastern Cape I was using my 280 Rem which worked fine when I did my part. The mountains were amazing and highly recommend hunting this area. Shots were between 70 yards out to 350 yards. Could have shot further if I could, but that is a whole other story. In Florida I am more used to thick brush, quick shots, and close. Marius made it clear before coming what the hunt would be like and spot on. My goal was plains game and it exceeded everything I wanted.

Shot an Impala, Black Wildebeest, Cape Kudu (47 inches) , Blesbok, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, Caracal, and Nyala. My PH was Loyd and his tracker Civet (sp?) were great. Watching them work was impressive. They were truly focused on mature animals and not just checking off boxes! Here are some pics below.

IMG_6194.jpeg

IMG_6221.jpeg
IMG_6268.jpeg
IMG_6278.jpeg
IMG_2947.jpeg
IMG_3078.jpeg
IMG_3124.jpeg
IMG_3168.jpeg
IMG_3207.jpeg
IMG_6460.jpeg
IMG_6371.jpeg
IMG_3054.jpeg
IMG_3059.jpeg

Nice animals. Looks like a great hunt!
Bruce

Part 2 was in Limpopo with Dempsey's crew for Cape Buffalo. Long drive from Johannesburg to camp. My 375 Ruger worked just fine on a Cape Buffalo. Watching my PH Alex work with our tracker Shedrick (sp?) was impressive. The terrain was much different than the Eastern Cape. Amazing how a whole herd of Cape Buffalo can hide and take off in no time. After several days we finally connected on this monster Buffalo at 110 yards. 49 inches he measured and all I was looking for was a mature animal. Better to be lucky than good. LOL! Caught him feeding in the open super early and he paid for it. First shot crushed him and second dropped him. He went no more than 10 foot. 280 rem crushed this zebra and then a day later a baboon. Learned baboons are extremely slick and hateful animals. We also did some fishing around the friendly local hippos, elephants and crocs. Heard lions, hyenas, and more! Wild!
IMG_6656.jpeg
IMG_6667.jpeg
IMG_6680.jpeg
IMG_6683.jpeg
IMG_7368.jpeg
IMG_7395.jpeg
IMG_7428.jpeg
IMG_7447.jpeg
IMG_7452.jpeg
IMG_6806.jpeg
IMG_7501.jpeg
IMG_6847.jpeg
IMG_6838.jpeg
IMG_6837.jpeg

Well done some fine animals, beginners luck !

Well done, some beautiful animals taken. Good looking 280 Rem, what make is it?

Sounds like a couple of awesome safaris. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

You do get such a different perspective when you hunt two regions of RSA.
Congratulations on your success.
Share some of the story on those Nyala!!

Hello All,

I want to start off thanking everyone on this forum for the information I used to accomplish my first Safari. Decided to book two hunts. First was 10 days in the Eastern Cape with @KMG Hunting Safaris and second being with @BAYLY SIPPEL SAFARIS near Kruger National Park. I used @riflepermits.com to get my two rifles into the country and well worth it!

In the Eastern Cape I was using my 280 Rem which worked fine when I did my part. The mountains were amazing and highly recommend hunting this area. Shots were between 70 yards out to 350 yards. Could have shot further if I could, but that is a whole other story. In Florida I am more used to thick brush, quick shots, and close. Marius made it clear before coming what the hunt would be like and spot on. My goal was plains game and it exceeded everything I wanted.

Shot an Impala, Black Wildebeest, Cape Kudu (47 inches) , Blesbok, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, Caracal, and Nyala. My PH was Loyd and his tracker Civet (sp?) were great. Watching them work was impressive. They were truly focused on mature animals and not just checking off boxes! Here are some pics below.

View attachment 610934
View attachment 610922View attachment 610923View attachment 610924View attachment 610925View attachment 610926View attachment 610927View attachment 610928View attachment 610929View attachment 610930View attachment 610931View attachment 610932View attachment 610933
Congratulations on a great hunt with great animals!!!!

That's a great first hunt! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Congrats on your hunt and thanks for sharing.

By the way, great Buff !

Nice buffalo! Great hunt in the Cape. KMG getting it done! Thanks for sharing.

Thanx for report !great hunt, great buffalo

Very nice. Looks like a wonderful adventure.

What bullets were you shooting out of that 280?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertaNilk

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.