SOUTH AFRICA: Buffalo & Plains Game With Somerby Safaris

We hunted Sandveld too, a wonderful property. We stayed at The Sanctuary Nature Reserve and they had an amazing chef, but his name escapes my memory.

We hunted Sandveld too, a wonderful property. We stayed at The Sanctuary Nature Reserve and they had an amazing chef, but his name escapes my memory.

That is where I am at as well. There is a new chef here this year, sounds like the old chef named Nice had a rough go with COVID unfortunately.

Yes, exactly…it was Nice and he was amazing. Hope he’s able to pull through.

Good luck at Sandveld.

Day 8:

Because of the weather we are hunting on the property here today at The Sanctuary. We decided not to go into the Sandveld, we will go tomorrow if the rain breaks. That was a good decision as we’ve had to retreat to the lodge twice, and it’s not even 3:00.

Image1649682224.169839.jpg

The Sanctuary is very nice and the rooms are quite comfortable. It has a different feel than the seclusion of Tilodi from the week prior, but service, staff and food here have been first class.

Image1649682248.447187.jpg

Image1649682279.343110.jpg
Image1649682318.638578.jpg
Image1649682353.282369.jpg

Dear Angelo,

I hunted RSA with Somerby in 2019 and your report brings back a lot of happy memories!

My wife, sister, and brother-in-law joined me on a 10-day safari, and we also stayed at Sherewood and The Sanctuary. I am sorry to learn of Nice's bout with Covid...

Please extend our regards to PD (Lem, Laureen, Mia, and Steve, from Chicago). He was our PH, with Brendan acting as Apprentice PH, and Benjamin as our skinner/tracker.

I have to congratulate you on your beautiful impala and impressive buffalo, and wish you continued good luck on the rest of your hunt!

Cheers!!!
--Lem

Dear Angelo,

I hunted RSA with Somerby in 2019 and your report brings back a lot of happy memories!

My wife, sister, and brother-in-law joined me on a 10-day safari, and we also stayed at Sherewood and The Sanctuary. I am sorry to learn of Nice's bout with Covid...

Please extend our regards to PD (Lem, Laureen, Mia, and Steve, from Chicago). He was our PH, with Brendan acting as Apprentice PH, and Benjamin as our skinner/tracker.

I have to congratulate you on your beautiful impala and impressive buffalo, and wish you continued good luck on the rest of your hunt!

Cheers!!!
--Lem

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear you are reliving old memories, time for some new ones? I hunted with PD 6 years ago, I really enjoy being around him.

PD says hello!

Day 9:

The plan today was to hunt the Sandveld Nature Reserve, but I still hadn't had eyes on a proper Black Wildebeest so we passed on the reserve as that wasn’t an option there.

After looking everything over that we could find on the property here, we went about 45 minutes to another area that Somerby had access to, the Christiana All Seasons Resort. The Black Wildebeest were wild and wound up there! The closest we could get on our stalk ended up being 250 yards, thankfully I decided to use the 6.5 and took my shot. Impact was just a little low, but it was over quickly.

This old guy was well worth the multiple days in the rain we had spent after a suitable Bull.

Image1649778058.705691.jpg

Image1649778084.420296.jpg

After lunch and dry pants/socks, we were off to see about a Gemsbok as a late addition. The Gemsbok that I saw here at The Sanctuary were impressive over the last few days, it was now time to make my bid! This time I took the 404 as I had been neglecting it since the Buff. After two busted stalks, we ended up crawling to the security of a lone tree to reassess, and it turned out that the buzzing I had been ignoring wasn't flys any more…. Bees. I pointed, and proceeded to make my exit without blowing the stalk a third time…

Success, and nobody got stung. My PH and Tracker were WAY to comfy with the bees!!!

We got to 190 yards and had remained undetected, I got on the sticks and waited for our Gems to walk into the lane… nothing, more waiting. Finally she did, and then promptly laid down…. More waiting!

Finally she stood up, turned broadside and I made my shot. 1824 FPS and 3326 ft-lbs was sufficient and she was down. This most challenging stalk took 2 hours and is probably my favorite stalk ever. What a beautiful animal.

Image1649778028.783244.jpg

That concludes the hunting for this trip, tonight is Gemsbok fillets on the Braai, and then back to Pretoria mid-day tomorrow to start the wind-down process

Last edited:
Outstanding!
Angelo 2 more beautiful specimens and a wonderful stalk to make it all worth it. I like to thank you for the post and updates that gave me the ability to enjoy your hunt vicariously through you. For the exception of a little bit of rain sounds like this Safari was quite the adventure. Once again thank you very much and congratulations on your stunning animals.
Ps ... also a shout-out to PD and the rest of the Somerby team
BTW sounds like a trip to see Rupert is in-store

Congratulations on a very nice buff

I don’t know how I missed this report when it was first published, but congratulations to an excellent buffalo @davidg8480 and some fine other species taken! I really like that black wildebeest too :)

Cheers,

V.

I don’t know how I missed this report when it was first published, but congratulations to an excellent buffalo @davidg8480 and some fine other species taken! I really like that black wildebeest too :)

Cheers,

V.
Not my safari, it is @Angelo_orygun s hunt, but following along through his post it was as if I was there.
And I agree the black wildebeest freaking awesome

A fine safari Angelo, that buffalo bull is exceptional. Congratulations. I particularly like the wood on your big rifle does the hunt justice.

Well done all around, congratulations and thanks for the detailed report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buck8

Latest profile posts

We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe