SOUTH AFRICA: Buffalo & Plains Game With Somerby Safaris

Dubai - Johannesburg.

I took advantage of the Business Class lounge in Dubai. On my first attempt I was told I could enter no earlier than 4 hours before my flight, and the cost was $200 for access, slightly less for two hours. I said OK and went to wander around the terminal to kill time. I personally found the airport to be quite underwhelming, but Duty Free Stores aren’t really my thing. And it was overnight. The Nutella shop was interesting, and I enjoyed a Nutella latte there that I had seen on a YouTube video.

Once back at the lounge after waiting for the 4 hour restriction, I was welcomed right in without any discussion about the need for any payment. Almost confusion from the agent that I would assume that I would need to pay as I was traveling on a business class ticket.

Once in the lounge I took a quick spin and decided on some small bites to eat and some Champaign. Next stop was a shower, and then a few more glasses of Champaign. I left the lounge about an hour before boarding and then wandered a bit before landing at my gate. Boarding was simple, and a quick stop by the gate agent verified my guns and ammo were in the belly of the plane, that was very good to know.

This 777 featured the “older, less impressive” as travel bloggers call it, business class. I was in the smaller front section of business and I preferred that over the larger rear section that I sat in from SFO. The hard product on the flight over from SFO was certainly better and would be worth taking note of if you had to choose, but I was comfortable nonetheless.

I made friends with the flight crew and spent more time than I should have in the galley discussing the finer points of all Champaign they had on board - including an offer for some of the Dom Perignon that was served in first… it all tasted quite well.

Image1649126465.587015.jpg

Before I knew it, we were on our approach to JNB.

Customs and SAPS was a breeze, rifflepermits.com made the process about as simple as it could have been. We were on our way in no time and would be staying at Sherewood lodge in Pretoria for the night.

First cigar in Africa
Image1649126086.989121.jpg

Springbok Carpaccio - AMAZING!
Image1649126286.383501.jpg

Ostrich filet for dinner
Image1649126307.116165.jpg

Finally, I was in bed by 7:00 - 58 hours after leaving my house.

Glad you made it safe. Sherwood Lodge looks as good as ever. Get some rest, the fun is about to begin.

Day One:

Today was a rainy transit day north from Pretoria to just inside Limpopo, ending up at the Tilodi game lodge near Leeupoort.

After quick introductions and being shown to my room, It was off to the range to confirm everything was still dialed.

After a group at 50 with the 404, a group at 100 with the 6.5 and then confirmation on a gong at 325, it was back to the lodge for lunch and then a quick drive to see the property.

While we were out we ran into a group of Impala and decided to go for a walk and have a look. This first stalk was a pass, and we continued to stalk others and after 2 hours I was rewarded with a quartering shot and my first harvest of the trip.

85 yards with the 6.5. This is my first hunt with a 6.5, and I must say that little bullet hits with some authority at under 100 yards!

Image1649389326.382782.jpg

Day 2:

Day two started with a quick breakfast and departure at 6:00 with one goal in mind - Buffalo.

The weather was wet and foggy. Our first buff sighting came 2 hours in and it was a pair of immature bulls. Wow! What an experience the first time you lock eyes with one of those beasts! They are WAY bigger in real life, while hunting them.

We continued on our way and stumbled on some fresh Leopard tracks, a reminder that I wasn’t in Portland any more!

Image1649389347.089105.jpg

Mid-day the weather changed and it was time for sunscreen as we made a stop at the observation deck where I was able to experience the Impala rut from 300 yards. The sights and sounds were amazing and my ZEISS SF Binos were providing the optical experience I have been dreaming about since buying them!

Image1649389376.975380.jpg

We made a stalk into a watering hole shortly after and were making a plan for a great warthog when we heard a grunt that made us change course. After taking the long way around the watering hole and getting eyes on a large group of buff, the two Elland that were joining them sounded the alarm! What an awesome stalk and experience, I was getting pumped! We followed that group for a few hundred yards and observed one mature male until they had enough of us.

They day provided a few more sightings and short stalks, with the most promising Buff yet was seen on the drive back after dark. Tomorrow we will start on his tracks and see if we can have a better look.

Outstanding!
Tilodi such a beautiful property , BTW who is your PH ? Good luck on the buffalo hunt
+1 on Tilodi. My wife and I very much enjoyed that camp.

On the bright side, rain should make the animals easier to track.

Who did you say is your PH?

Day 3:

We started on the tracks of the Buffalo from the night before, he seemed to be grazing and walking in anything but a straight line all night! After about a mile and a half we bumped him for the first time, and this was a trend that would continue all day - for the next 7.2 miles according to Garmin.

Image1649507338.693008.jpg

On my last trip to Africa I did not get to experience the thick bush, my rifle and arms now have proof of being here. Everything in Africa does bite and scratch! What a day.

We called it at 5:30 and headed back to the lodge, more fun is on the plate for tomorrow.

Day 4:

We went back and tried to find more tracks from our Buff and were fortunate to put eyes on him from the road. After heading up the road farther, a prompt dismount and a quiet walk back down the road, he was gone but we had tracks. Our first bump came about 30 minutes later, and this trend continued for the next few hours as his love for making us follow him through the thick stuff continued.

Eventually we decided to drag the roads and see if he would come out on his own terms as it was proving unfruitful to chase him through the bush mid-day. We never saw him again.

Was a slow day on foot - only 4.6 miles.

Day 5:

Once again we found tracks from our Bull, but the tracks once again went into the thick stuff. Same story, new day!

My PH suggested we go look for other bulls instead of continuing to push this guy all around for another half a day. We would come back when he was relaxed and grazing in the afternoon, pick up on his tracks, and give it another go. I agreed.

We found a few good bulls throughout the rest of the day, many impressive in width, but nothing that was solid in the boss.

Image1649507473.783161.jpg

Then we found a bull that we knew would be worth chasing…. After a short stalk and closer inspection, he was everything anyone could ever want. I heard the words you want to hear from your PH…

I am shooting the 450 grain Woodleigh SN bullets, and damn they make a hell of a smack on buff at 70 yards. I felt no recoil and I think the impact on the buff was louder than the muzzle blast. One bullet behind the shoulder, Buff took two steps, made a wobble and then turned behind a tree. I threw one more into him for good measure. 3 more steps and he was down.

IMG_2603.JPG

Wow. No words to describe the experience! Still processing.

Image1649507698.817961.jpg

Outstanding! An excellent hunt and a Beautiful Buff ...I'm loving those Bosses
Ps ...shout out to PD for me David from harrisburg Pa

Outstanding! An excellent hunt and a Beautiful Buff ...I'm loving those Bosses
Ps ...shout out to PD for me David from harrisburg Pa

Thanks! He is a real brute! I just went to the shed and took another look!

Gave PD a hello for you!

Day 6:

Today was a slow start, things went late at the lodge the night prior

About an hour before sunset yesterday it started to rain, and really rain, and then dump. We went out in vain to try and find a Warthog, it was a valiant effort. Didn’t see much of anything, other than rain and more rain.

Image1649607045.942227.jpg

Day 7:

Today was a transit day down to Free State near the Sandveld Nature Reserve. Black Wildebeest and Warthog are the goal for tomorrow.

Rain, and more rain today too. I might build an Ark instead of hunt the rest of the week!

Damn Thats a lot of rain,good day for a drive down south. Good luck

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hyman88W3

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?