South Africa Bowhunting Recommendations

Adipose

Reaction score
We are looking for a list of great destinations for Bowhunting in South Africa. I started bowhunting in Africa over 30 years ago. We had to take the last few years off due to business and children, but we went back this year and had a very enjoyable time. This was my Wife's first time in Africa bowhunting and needless to say she is hooked. We have made a decision to try to go over at least once every year for as long as we are able to.
We have been with many different outfitters, and can say we have never had a bad hunt. Some places do things better than others, some have grown and others are no longer around. We have been with places that the PH is with you all day and others where you have a radio and you call in when you shoot an animal. I have enjoyed both hunting methods. what we are looking for is a place that has property specifically for bowhunting, good blinds and a good population of animals and choices. If they have the ability to arrange day trips also to different properties for others species then all the better.
All the places we have been have had real nice accommodations, daily laundry, great food and transportation from the airport. All of those things while important, are second to the animal quantity and quality and being with someone that understands bowhunting.
What recommendations might you have or experiences with bowhunting outfitters in RSA that you could share. Thank you very much

I have been happy with my experiences at African Barefoot Safaris, wheels up August 4 for my 3rd hunt.

I have heard many good things from folks who loved their hunts with Limcroma, Bushmen Safaris, Bush Africa Safaris, and African Arrow. They are all South Africa based.

There are a variety of outfitters in Botswana and Namibia, as well.

Jason Stone Safaris and African Bowhunting Adventures organize bow hunts throughout all of Southern Africa and seem to have good reputations. I believe Butch Coaton has quite a bit of experience guiding bowhunters in Zimbabwe as well.

I personally have found that outfitters who say they accommodate bowhunting as they are bowhunters themselves are very much not the same thing as outfitters who specialize in bowhunting.

Zak Grobler at Sahu Safaris. My first two safaris were bow hunting with him and his wife Louise some 20 years ago. He is an absolute professional, dedicating his career to bow hunting Southern Africa. You would have seen him guiding and filming Tom Miranda on the TV over the last decade or so.

He has properties in northern RSA as well as free range hunting in Mozambique… I believe Coutada 11 ? Dangerous game, plains game, photographic safaris, touring Kruger, etc…

Here’s his FB page.

He and Louise will take great care of you.

And if you want to take a huge whitetail here in the Texas Hill Country, he can set you up for that, too.

Ed Z

I had an excellent hunt with African Barefoot Safaris in 2022. Reon and Elmay took great care of us while we were in camp. They had amazing PHs and it was truly a Bowhunting Camp. I will be returning in 2025 to hunt with them again.

I will also be leaving in a couple of weeks to hunt with Cobus and Elana Pretorius of Dries Visser Safaris.

Hallo Sir
We have what you are looking for. We have good bow blinds and 22 huntable species, like you would know, the time of year is very important when hunting out of a blind, but we can set you up. Check us out on facebook and instagram or our website www.africanhunting.co.za

We are looking for a list of great destinations for Bowhunting in South Africa. I started bowhunting in Africa over 30 years ago. We had to take the last few years off due to business and children, but we went back this year and had a very enjoyable time. This was my Wife's first time in Africa bowhunting and needless to say she is hooked. We have made a decision to try to go over at least once every year for as long as we are able to.
We have been with many different outfitters, and can say we have never had a bad hunt. Some places do things better than others, some have grown and others are no longer around. We have been with places that the PH is with you all day and others where you have a radio and you call in when you shoot an animal. I have enjoyed both hunting methods. what we are looking for is a place that has property specifically for bowhunting, good blinds and a good population of animals and choices. If they have the ability to arrange day trips also to different properties for others species then all the better.
All the places we have been have had real nice accommodations, daily laundry, great food and transportation from the airport. All of those things while important, are second to the animal quantity and quality and being with someone that understands bowhunting.
What recommendations might you have or experiences with bowhunting outfitters in RSA that you could share. Thank you very much
I have a few great places to Bow hunt. Our base camp is in the far north of Limpopo near Mussina, where we have good quality bow blinds. I also have access to two other properties within a hours drive for additional species
We could also combine the hunt between Mussina and the Gravelotte region in the east close to Kruger.
Please feel free to email me. info@spearsafaris.com
Cheers Ernest

I have been happy with my experiences at African Barefoot Safaris, wheels up August 4 for my 3rd hunt.

I have heard many good things from folks who loved their hunts with Limcroma, Bushmen Safaris, Bush Africa Safaris, and African Arrow. They are all South Africa based.

There are a variety of outfitters in Botswana and Namibia, as well.

Jason Stone Safaris and African Bowhunting Adventures organize bow hunts throughout all of Southern Africa and seem to have good reputations. I believe Butch Coaton has quite a bit of experience guiding bowhunters in Zimbabwe as well.

I personally have found that outfitters who say they accommodate bowhunting as they are bowhunters themselves are very much not the same thing as outfitters who specialize in bowhunting.
Thank you, I agree there is a major difference in those that accommodate or specialize in bowhunting. That is why I really appreciate the hunters view from those that have been there.
We have a couple more years that we want to finish up in RSA before we move on to other countries, but it is in the plan.

We have a request in to Lincroma currently, but I know the are currently in the busy season and difficult to get a hold of. There US rep has been great answering questions and it seems like a good place.
Although we have not been to Bushmen in a few years, we hunted with them quite a bit in the 90's and early 2000's. It was an enjoyable place to hunt.
Thank you for the info on barefoot Safaris. If you have any experience you would like to share as to the quantity of animals, species and quality as well as any other info it would be much appreciated.

Zak Grobler at Sahu Safaris. My first two safaris were bow hunting with him and his wife Louise some 20 years ago. He is an absolute professional, dedicating his career to bow hunting Southern Africa. You would have seen him guiding and filming Tom Miranda on the TV over the last decade or so.

He has properties in northern RSA as well as free range hunting in Mozambique… I believe Coutada 11 ? Dangerous game, plains game, photographic safaris, touring Kruger, etc…

Here’s his FB page.

He and Louise will take great care of you.

And if you want to take a huge whitetail here in the Texas Hill Country, he can set you up for that, too.

Ed Z
Thank you, Do they have a website or just a facebook page?

I had an excellent hunt with African Barefoot Safaris in 2022. Reon and Elmay took great care of us while we were in camp. They had amazing PHs and it was truly a Bowhunting Camp. I will be returning in 2025 to hunt with them again.

I will also be leaving in a couple of weeks to hunt with Cobus and Elana Pretorius of Dries Visser Safaris.
Thanks for the line on Barefoot Safaris. You are the second one who recommends them so we will take a look.

We were with Dries Visser last month, so I sure you will enjoy your hunt coming up. We did not have a chance to meet Cobus. He is on a new property but I have always enjoyed the videos he is in.

Hallo Sir
We have what you are looking for. We have good bow blinds and 22 huntable species, like you would know, the time of year is very important when hunting out of a blind, but we can set you up. Check us out on facebook and instagram or our website www.africanhunting.co.za
Thank you for contacting me. I looked at your website and there isnt anything about bowhunting. Do you gun hunt and bow hunt on the same property?

Thank you, I agree there is a major difference in those that accommodate or specialize in bowhunting. That is why I really appreciate the hunters view from those that have been there.
We have a couple more years that we want to finish up in RSA before we move on to other countries, but it is in the plan.

We have a request in to Lincroma currently, but I know the are currently in the busy season and difficult to get a hold of. There US rep has been great answering questions and it seems like a good place.
Although we have not been to Bushmen in a few years, we hunted with them quite a bit in the 90's and early 2000's. It was an enjoyable place to hunt.
Thank you for the info on barefoot Safaris. If you have any experience you would like to share as to the quantity of animals, species and quality as well as any other info it would be much appreciated.
They recently acquired a new property and built a new lodge. This is the first year hunting it, I will post a report once I get back.

He is still hunting his usual properties as well including the original property which is bowhunting only and has always had good quality and quantity of animals.

They recently acquired a new property and built a new lodge. This is the first year hunting it, I will post a report once I get back.

He is still hunting his usual properties as well including the original property which is bowhunting only and has always had good quality and quantity of animals.
Yes please let me know how the hunt this year goes. Do you happen to know if they attend SCI and will be in Nashville this year?

Thank you, Do they have a website or just a facebook page?
Louise tells me you can go through this website. Zak operates from here:

Ed Z

I have bowhunted South Africa three times, all with Fig Tree Safaris. He is in the Limpopo region north of Lepahale which is about 3 1/2 hours north of Johannesburg. They will pick you up at the airport and take you back at the end of the hunt.

We are looking for a list of great destinations for Bowhunting in South Africa.

I second the recommendation for Limcroma Safaris. Hands down, the best bowhunting outfitter I have ever hunted with in Africa or otherwise... Hannes owns several huge private bow-only properties, and the majority of his PHs are all avid bowhunters themselves. They cover all the small details that really make a difference.

I have bowhunted South Africa three times, all with Fig Tree Safaris. He is in the Limpopo region north of Lepahale which is about 3 1/2 hours north of Johannesburg. They will pick you up at the airport and take you back at the end of the hunt.
I would have never given them a second look. There isn't even a single word about bowhunting on their website. Thank you for letting me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AimeeHarcu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's