SOUTH AFRICA: Aussies Invade KMG Hunting Safaris

We'll we've made the long haul to Africa Sky and their fantastic hospitality. As per usual I can't sleep, it's 3am currently....

One cancelled flight, and one lost bag to deal with thus far, we are hoping the latter may show up in East London later this morning! Looking forward to caching up with the KMG team very soon. ;)

View attachment 627433View attachment 627434View attachment 627435View attachment 627436View attachment 627437
@Tim Blackwell
Good to see you took the most important item.
The BUNDY RUM!!!
Well done lad fly the flag.
Bob
PS you forgot the Vegemite tho

OK so we've had such a hectic week that I've had no time for updates! A combination of full moon, wildly fluctuating temperatures and heat have made going tough! We've been back after dark every day and only had one lunch back at the lodge. But the great trophies are stacking up! Lunch on Day 7 now and finally some downtime.....

DAY 1 saw us head an hour north of camp to hunt Kudu for Matt in some very big bluff country. I was feeling quite crook and slowing the boys down a bit. But we pressed on in the heat.
Late morning the guys found a big bull in a steep valley but lost him before they could get in range.

View attachment 629457

Changing tactics for the afternoon, we went to sit and wait over an area where we thought they'd move towards for water given the heat. We eventually found a bachelor mob of 7 bulls, but the only mature one was a big unicorn! One horn!

It was after 5.30pm and we were actually packed up and leaving the property when we spied another bull. The guys hastily got on the sticks, but a 270m frontal shot was all that he would offer. Matt squeezed the trigger on his HS Precision 300Wby, and it looked good, but the bull staggered off, following the others.

We gave chase and found blood, but unfortunately ran out of light to secure him. I felt for my mate, not how I wanted his first African experience to commence!

TBC....
@Tim Blackwell
My kudu was a frontal shot as well. The PH said it is one of the harder shots but I listened to where he said to put it and that kudu went about twenty yards and pulled up. The 35 cal 2525 gn accubond was found in his left hand after five feet of penetration. They is one tough critter but can't run far with a blown chest cavity.
Bob

Day 6
Was dedicated to Matt's Bushbuck. We headed to our chosen property at first light and headed straight for the highest hill. Taking up position there, we commenced the glassing and waiting game! Having hunted Bushbuck myself, I could see it was prime country.

After an hour or so, the first couple of Bushbuck ewes stepped out of the thickets to feed. Along with them, Nyala, Duiker, Kudu, and bulk warthog! But no Bushbuck rams.

We patiently kept glassing the surrounding valleys, all taking turns at looking in different directions. The hours rolled by, lunchtime came and went. Most of us took turns in an afternoon nap. We were seeing heaps of ewes, probably more than 30 all up, but the rams were staying well hidden!

After holding our position for a marathon 7 hours, Marius decided a change of position was in order for the last hours of daylight. We sat glassing a steep mountain side covered in thick thornbush and lantana. Somehow, after half an hour, our eagle-eyed PH picked up a Bushbuck ram a kilometre away. None of us could see it!

We closed in, Matt moving in closer to the edge of the open country with Marius, while we stayed back to watch. Eventually he picked up the ram again, half way up the near-vertical slope under a bush. He couldn't see his horns, but knew by his huge thick neck and roman-nose, that he was looking at an old Ram. Experience pays!

Matt got set up on the sticks but couldn't get enough elevation standing. They had to spread the sticks and shoot from the kneeling position due to the steep uphill angle required. Matt said he could only just make out the ram's outline, but a small gap in line with his front leg allowed him to poke a 180gn Accu-bond right where it needed to go.

The resultant recovery was a tough job, and we all spilt some claret to go with plenty of sweat. But it's all worth it for an old Ram like this. The Eastern Cape's own royal game! ;)

IMG20240825171739.jpg

Day 6
Was dedicated to Matt's Bushbuck. We headed to our chosen property at first light and headed straight for the highest hill. Taking up position there, we commenced the glassing and waiting game! Having hunted Bushbuck myself, I could see it was prime country.

After an hour or so, the first couple of Bushbuck ewes stepped out of the thickets to feed. Along with them, Nyala, Duiker, Kudu, and bulk warthog! But no Bushbuck rams.

We patiently kept glassing the surrounding valleys, all taking turns at looking in different directions. The hours rolled by, lunchtime came and went. Most of us took turns in an afternoon nap. We were seeing heaps of ewes, probably more than 30 all up, but the rams were staying well hidden!

After holding our position for a marathon 7 hours, Marius decided a change of position was in order for the last hours of daylight. We sat glassing a steep mountain side covered in thick thornbush and lantana. Somehow, after half an hour, our eagle-eyed PH picked up a Bushbuck ram a kilometre away. None of us could see it!

We closed in, Matt moving in closer to the edge of the open country with Marius, while we stayed back to watch. Eventually he picked up the ram again, half way up the near-vertical slope under a bush. He couldn't see his horns, but knew by his huge thick neck and roman-nose, that he was looking at an old Ram. Experience pays!

Matt got set up on the sticks but couldn't get enough elevation standing. They had to spread the sticks and shoot from the kneeling position due to the steep uphill angle required. Matt said he could only just make out the ram's outline, but a small gap in line with his front leg allowed him to poke a 180gn Accu-bond right where it needed to go.

The resultant recovery was a tough job, and we all spilt some claret to go with plenty of sweat. But it's all worth it for an old Ram like this. The Eastern Cape's own royal game! ;)

View attachment 630799
That bushbuck ram is so good, for a second I thought it was an nyala! My congratulations to Matt!

That bushbuck ram is so good, for a second I thought it was an nyala! My congratulations to Matt!

Thank you mate.
He certainly had a great first trip with 5 quality trophies.

Day 7
With Matt finishing his wish list with his Bushbuck, our final day hunting was spent as scouts for some of the other guys who were still chasing a few animals.

Young Mick was after a Zebra. He headed off with his PH Lloyd. Marius took Matt & I to a huge valley on the other side of the property where he'd seen Zebra recently. We climbed to a good glassing point and began the search.

Eventually mid-morning I found Zebra feeding through the thick bush on the opposite slope. We radioed the others to let them know. Long story short, Mick and Lloyd climbed the opposite side and got to within 130m of the Zebra, but the stallion wouldn't show himself. With the day getting very hot, we thought it was not a good option to chase them now, but rather try again late afternoon.

We managed to find the same group later that day, walking towards a water point with an hour of light left. Again we were able to get the guys into position for an ambush, and this time they were successful in taking a beautiful stallion with a frontal shot.

FB_IMG_1724835873565.jpg

I'll round this report out with a few of the other animals taken in the latter part of the trip by the guys. It was a very happy group that finished with 24 beautiful trophies from their hard work.

I'd like to sincerely thank Marius Goosen from @KMG Hunting Safaris for putting together another magnificent safari for our group. His PH's worked tirelessly in difficult conditions to find quality mature trophies for us. And on top of this, they're an absolutely pleasure to spend time with both in camp and in the bush.

Thanks to everyone who made it this far for reading! Until I return! ;)

Cheers,
Tim

FB_IMG_1724835861577.jpg
FB_IMG_1724835844001.jpg
FB_IMG_1724669097085.jpg
FB_IMG_1724669149014.jpg
FB_IMG_1724669180453.jpg
20240827_091936.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameswilliamsau

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]