Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Australian Deer Association, Australian Association of Wildlife Artists
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Namibia, South Africa
Hi all!
We are now inside a week from getting on the big Qantas flight back to the green hills of the Eastern Cape. We have 7 full hunting days planned, chasing a variety of plains game.

August 19 - 27, 2024
@KMG Hunting Safaris
Eastern Cape, South Africa

For me personally this will be my 5th African hunt, and my 4th with KMG. My target this time is a mature Sable bull, plus maybe one or two others...we'll see what Marius and I can scratch up.

But just as exciting is that I have 5 Australian first-timers with me; 4 hunters and one observer. I'm really looking forward to sharing in their experiences!

I'll keep this thread updated as best I can along the way!

Cheers for now,
Tim

20190805_112422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all!
We are now inside a week from getting on the big Qantas flight back to the green hills of the Eastern Cape. We have 7 full hunting days planned, chasing a variety of plains game.

August 19 - 27, 2024
KMG Hunting Safaris

For me personally this will be my 5th African hunt, and my 4th with KMG. My target this time is a mature Sable bull, plus maybe one or two others...we'll see what Marius and I can scratch up.

But just as exciting is that I have 5 Australian first-timers with me; 4 hunters and one observer. I'm really looking forward to sharing in their experiences!

Cheers for now,
Tim

View attachment 625566
That looks vaguely familiar!

Nice one Tim and crew.

Love the excitement in the lead up to a trip.

Looking forward to the updates from another top notch KMG adventure.

Excellent! Cant wait to follow along with you all
:D Beers:

We'll we've made the long haul to Africa Sky and their fantastic hospitality. As per usual I can't sleep, it's 3am currently....

One cancelled flight, and one lost bag to deal with thus far, we are hoping the latter may show up in East London later this morning! Looking forward to caching up with the KMG team very soon. ;)

20240819_025406.jpg
20240819_015557.jpg
20240818_231025.jpg
20240818_083255.jpg
20240817_152554.jpg

Hi all!

August 19 - 27, 2024
@KMG Hunting Safaris

Cheers for now,
Tim

View attachment 625566
Good luck and keep us posted!

We'll we've made the long haul to Africa Sky and their fantastic hospitality. As per usual I can't sleep, it's 3am currently....

One cancelled flight, and one lost bag to deal with thus far, we are hoping the latter may show up in East London later this morning! Looking forward to caching up with the KMG team very soon. ;)

View attachment 627433View attachment 627434View attachment 627435View attachment 627436View attachment 627437
Bundy rum and TimTams you beauty . As a good Queenslander Bundy has been my preferred tipple since I was a 13 in cattle mustering camps . With Coca Cola if it is hot and with milk if the weather is cold . Be careful with the Overproof . Enjoy your hunting .

OK so we've had such a hectic week that I've had no time for updates! A combination of full moon, wildly fluctuating temperatures and heat have made going tough! We've been back after dark every day and only had one lunch back at the lodge. But the great trophies are stacking up! Lunch on Day 7 now and finally some downtime.....

DAY 1 saw us head an hour north of camp to hunt Kudu for Matt in some very big bluff country. I was feeling quite crook and slowing the boys down a bit. But we pressed on in the heat.
Late morning the guys found a big bull in a steep valley but lost him before they could get in range.

20240820_131625.jpg

Changing tactics for the afternoon, we went to sit and wait over an area where we thought they'd move towards for water given the heat. We eventually found a bachelor mob of 7 bulls, but the only mature one was a big unicorn! One horn!

It was after 5.30pm and we were actually packed up and leaving the property when we spied another bull. The guys hastily got on the sticks, but a 270m frontal shot was all that he would offer. Matt squeezed the trigger on his HS Precision 300Wby, and it looked good, but the bull staggered off, following the others.

We gave chase and found blood, but unfortunately ran out of light to secure him. I felt for my mate, not how I wanted his first African experience to commence!

TBC....

Hope you guys had another great trip! I’ll be there in a few weeks to chase after whatever you left behind for me.

Day 2 happened to be my birthday. We headed to a massive area close to home base to hunt Blue Wildebeest for Matt. A couple of other guys were hunting in the vicinity of our Kudu hunt, Mick and PH Jem, so we gave them all the details in the hope it would be found.

After covering some ground a report came through of a big old Warthog boar that had been seen coming off a dam close to a farmhouse, which was making a mess of their lawns. Matt generously offered me the shot as a birthday gift,and I'll never turn down a big pig!

Surely enough, a careful approach eventually located him feeding by his watering hole. With Marius' 300WM on the quad sticks, I had an easy 56 yard shot, and made no mistakes. He was an ancient old pig, I was thrilled. As was the farmers' wife who thanked us profusely!

received_479802775016722.jpeg

We carried on and in short order found a nice Blue Wildebeest bull hanging off the fringe of a small mob. As we stalked closer the shot angle got more and more difficult as he snorted at us through the bush. Then, up hill to our right we noticed a second, larger bull in an opening. Our cover took us to around 150 metres and the sticks went up. Again, a frontal shot was all that was on offer for Matt, but this time his aim was perfect, taking out the heart for a rapid kill. A lovely old bull with teeth worn right down to the gums.

FB_IMG_1724669275109.jpg

We took both animals to the skinning shed to process, and had some lunch. As we rested, some amazing news came through, the guys had found Matt's Kudu! His shot had been about 4 inches from being perfect but went a touch low. A tremendous bull and a fantastic way to cap off a memorable birthday!!

FB_IMG_1724669249558.jpg

Day 3
We hunted the morning on the home property, looking for Nyala bulls. Marius had seen a big bull on a particular ridge before, so we headed around the opposite side of the valley and walked in to a good glassing position.
Sure enough we located a very nice tall bull below us and further along the valley, feeding in and out of the thick thornbush.

We relocted further down the valley to a height where we last saw him. We had to wait while some Blue Wildebeest moved off, then relocated the Nyala. Dropping down further again, we had a chance for a shot at 130m across the gully, but Matt just couldn't get a comfortable prone rest in the window provided. The bull sensed something was up and moved back up hill into thicker cover.

We husted back uphill and stacked a couple of nice flat rocks for a rest with my jacket over top. Matt settled in again and eventually the bull gave an opportunity through the bush at 220m. The 300WBY spoke and the impact was resounding, the bull only staggering a few steps before rolling in the thick gully.

We drove around above the bull, and remarkably, T-Man was able to lead us straight to him. A tough uphill recovery ensued and Matt had a beautiful mature Nyala bull in the salt.

FB_IMG_1724669190400.jpg

That afternoon we headed north to a property where we wanted to look for Impala. To shorten a long story, we climbed above a thick flat where we played cat & mouse with 3 or 4 bulls throughout the afternoon.

Right at last light Matt made a perfect shot on a magnificent old lone ram.

FB_IMG_1724669196964.jpg

Two beautiful trophies for the day. We headed further north again that night where we would stay for a couple of days to focus on my main target, a Sable bull. ;)

At this point, I'll share some of a what the rest of our Aussie group hunted in the first few days with the KMG team ;)

Steeley with PH Jem, hunters this tremendously heavy Gemsbok bull, topped off by a massive Bushpig boar!

FB_IMG_1724669159780.jpg

FB_IMG_1724669164608.jpg

John with PH Robin, shot a beautiful Impala ram, and a very nice Gemsbok also.

FB_IMG_1724669122606.jpg

FB_IMG_1724669130935.jpg

Mick meanwhile, with PH Lloyd, managed to kick off with a magnificent Nyala and massive Impala. A great start for everyone, but not without lots of hard climbing and hard work in hot, windy conditions and a full moon to boot!

FB_IMG_1724669290647.jpg

To be continued ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ECHS-Marius

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa