SOUTH AFRICA: A Month In Africa

IMG_1856.jpeg
Lunch after the duiker

4ED502F6-99B5-4C95-96EC-09195AFE56B1.jpeg
Castle light, Jim Greens, and a fire.

Day 5 , August 12

4am wake up after getting ready I sat at the dinning table and had a nice cup of robois tea while we waited to leave.

The plan for day 5 is to drive about and hour to the south west and look for suni

We arrived around 7am collected our local farm hand France who knows where the suni are and headed off within minutes we were seeing game two red duiker scurried off the road and into the bush than we turned a corner and had 3 red duiker in the road and as the morning went on we would continue to see more red and grey duiker along with Nyala. We stopped in a spot France said he had seen a big suni and took a walk, no luck so we got back to the truck and continued to roll the tires. We drove around and made a circled back to this area we walked and as we drove past two suni darted off the side of the road we kept driving a ways past them, then got out and walked back Matt got a few glimpses of one but could never tell if it was a male or a female as it fed around in the very thick brush. We spent some time waiting and slowly. Walking into the brush to try and see the suni but no luck it was like walking on cornflakes. We got back in the truck and continued to drive around looking, we decided at noon we needed a break so went back to the lodge on this farm to eat the lunch we had packed with us of sandwiches a boiled egg and some small sausages.

Some weather moved in and it was windy and looked like it could rain. The afternoon didn’t produce any suni but we continued to see many red and grey duiker as well as Nyala we ended the day with a great meal again back at camp.

IMG_1967.jpeg

Day 5 dinner
Muscle pot for starter

Day 6 August 13

4 am wake up some tea and on the road again back to suni country. As we near Aloe view we can tell they got a proper rain as the road is very wet with low hanging clouds. Maybe this weather will help us get a suni today as the ground will be much quieter and if it rained last night the animals will be moving for food this morning trying to warm up and dry off.

11:40 we seen an absolute monster of a leopard that stood and let us get a proper look at him he was bus of Tom

The rest of the day we didn’t see much, we did go to the a local place for lunch called Croc cove and enjoyed some great burgers I had a venison burger.

IMG_1994.jpeg

Leopard track we found early before seeing a big cat later that day.

Day 7 August 14th

4am wake up and off the the sun I area around 5:30 we picked up France our tracker Pipe had to leave to go to a family funeral so France was solo in the back. No suni movement at all this morning we drove and covered all the areas we had seen them in the previous days. We seen a crowned eagle that had a Nyala leg it was colored as if it was a young male.

We went back to crown cov for lunch we had pizzas this time I had pulled pork, pineapple chutney, and onion on mine, it was incredible.

We went back to camp and spent the rest of the day filming some much needed content we finished the zuluand portion of the trip off having some castle lights & black labels around the fire topped off with a Braai of different meets, pop on the side and veggies with pecan-nut pie for desert it was incredible.

Day 8 August 15

4am wake up, packed up had a bowl of fruit and yogurt and we hit the trail at 6 to make our 7 hour drive to Koksted

The drive to Koksted was scenic as we drove the cost line for a bit than turned and headed inland we stopped in Koksted had a spur chicken burger with chips than drove to the guest house we would be staying at. We quickly unpacked the truck and went for an afternoon drive.

We got out at about 3pm and hit the first farm this farm had lots of cattle on it and corn fields we see a few in the first pasture we drove but most of them we jumped up driving past than as the sun started to sink more we got to a new pasture and the reedbuck Mecca came alive we seen 50+ reedbuck from one small area some good rams one was really old and one had a broken horn and was missing an eye it was getting very late in the evening with not much time left and Matt wanted to go check a spot he had seen a big ram in years past just as it was getting dark we found him and boy he’s a monster ram we finished the night with seeing over 200 reedbuck all in all. We ate at the little restaurant and bar for dinner, pepper steak and chips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b_reynolds_ak

Latest profile posts

Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles
Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian