Something Small I picked up for "tipping"

I've taken similar items as this, as well as flashlights, ect. At the end of the day, you just end up lugging around more weight and bulk in your luggage, when they prefer cash over everything else. It's a nice gesture for sure, but they smile more when you hand them the Benjamins.
From what I’ve heard most items left for staff other than the ph gets traded for beer.

I wonder if most on here read the whole first post.

He says that they will be extras and not his tip.

I gave my tracker my old Leatherman along with the cash tip plus extra for the job that he did for me on my last hunt.

They’ll be happy to get it, but don’t be surprised if you return a second trip and they no longer have them. I always bring used items I no longer have use for but I won’t buy anything specifically as gifts for staff. Most of it ends up getting sold or traded.

I wonder if most on here read the whole first post.

He says that they will be extras and not his tip.

I gave my tracker my old Leatherman along with the cash tip plus extra for the job that he did for me on my last hunt.

True, but the headline or title says “tipping.”

Bringing extra trinkets is a nice deal, but as others have said and the OP has mentioned, the small gifts and cash tips are given.

I wish a PH would chime in. In my experience a solid pair of boots or usable microfleece sweater or jacket is actually appreciated. A leatherman and like are worth a couple of beers in trade.

I have stopped the knives and flashlights. Now I pack extra gloves, stocking caps and heavy long sleeve tee shirts as extra gifts. Plus alway a lot of hard candy and Snickers bars for the truck.
Like all have said. At the end of the hunt cash is more appreciated than anything. Also saves me on weight in baggage.
Clothing has seemed to be more appreciated to me as I usually go in the winter months.

I think you're right! I put tipping in quotes for just that reason, but I can see I was not clear enough. It won't let me edit it!
I read it exactly as you meant it. Clearly you're looking to give this in Addition to CASH.

Exactly. I wouldn’t be surprised if the op was seeing if this was good enough for a tip vs cash tip and then backtracked a bit once realizing it wasn’t going to fly.
Not the case at all. Notice the word Tipping in quotes in the title? Granted - it wasn't clear enough but these in no way take the place of cold hard cash.

No issue. I don’t understand all the “boy scout” criticisms from the self appointed sage gurus here. I always take a pretty good quantity of small candies that I snack on and pass around to staff and local kids when we see them in villages. I have taken all manner of extra stuff, including extra, expendable clothes. The benefit of taking extra stuff is it will lighten baggage and make room for any souvenirs you may pick up. I like local crafts that are not necessarily made for tourist trade.

Simple process: check with PH/Outfitter for their protocols and customary amounts for cash tipping and set aside that amount of cash in mixed USD bills plus some extra as there will always be un planned for locals and staff who also may deserve a tip. Then all the other misc extras simply give out as seems appropriate.

I’ve given those exact same cabelas branded multi tools in the past to the trackers,skinners, housekeepers, cooks, etc along with hard candies, inexpensive head lamps, etc… little gifts go a long way as a “thank you” when someone does a nice job finding your animal, or caping out your trophy, etc..

For the PHs I typically make each of them a nice hunting profile handmade knife or bring along something similar in value…

I am also a “mule” and bring over stuff they specifically request… which could be anything from reloading dies to optics to coats, etc…

I have given little things like this as extras on most of my trips. I have also been told every time it will be traded for beer or tobacco by ph’s. Do what you want not what others think you should….

I took perfume kits for the ladies who do the house keeping. Theory is what would a women like that they wouldn't buy because of more pressing needs. Took a new Case knife for my Tracker and huge sharpening stone. Also whiskey for all the PH's, not to be shared with clients. Cash tips(USD) are given in envelopes in accordance with protocols according to lodge manager and my PH. Also took a case of Jack Links beef jerky. ( 15-20 pcs) which was really well received, kept in truck and pockets. Like I mentioned before, my bag was searched, wonder what they thought about whiskey, perfume and knives, and the beef jerky. Sounds like a good time brewing!

Gents, and ladies, we're on the brink of another multipage commentary and debate on the subject of tipping. Read the 65 pages of comments on the other thread and then do what you think is right. When you have an opportunity to "make someone's day" with a nice, well earned cash tip and perhaps a gift on top of that, I think you should.

When it comes to tipping, dollars or Rand is king. Your multi tool will be the thoughtfully added gift.

Lon

its a thoughtful gift for sure
ph and outfitter would keep it
rest of staff will sell them in a flash

From what I’ve heard most items left for staff other than the ph gets traded for beer.
This has been my experience also. 3 outfitters I have been with in Namibia only give the staff the tips at the end of the season. Otherwise they are off on the piss immediately. Nor have the suggested tips been as much as I see some recommending.

I gave the little gifts after a day or two after I arrived in camp so I settle in to the routine. The ladies were touched by the perfume ensembles, my tracker, also turned out to be my skinner also received a Case skinner. Gave the extra skinner to my PH. Who doesnt like a good knife? It was important to me to take USA made items as there is a lot of foreign items there, as well as here. I noticed that my tracker kept reaching back and touching his knife quite often. He was very happy. My PH said he would not share his knife or the sharpening stone. The tracker/skinner is from Zimbabwe. Talk about skilled,he really saved my bacon! Cash tips (USD) for staff were appreciated. One person claimed to have hay fever problem because her eyes were watering. I just agreed.

Traded for beer? One outfit I hunted with I saw the Leatherman's being used a few years later. Same for the hats and other clothing I gave in addition to $$$$ tips. That outfit's policy was, show up drunk or drinking and you're no longer employed. Also told them he didn't want to see anybody wearing those clothes in town. Contrary to some posts, there is no one size fits all tipping protocol.
Cutting to the chase. some outfits hire drunks/day workers and I heard that from different freelance PHs and outfitters..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EtsukoDemo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]