So you think you need to own a Stopping Rifle...

Agreed, it's the diameter of the bullet, given that the construction and design of the bullets are similar.
I have found that, within reason, diameter and design of the bullet is more significant than the velocity.
As mentioned, I have killed several cape buffalo with 410 grain CEB Safari Raptors in a .50-110 Win. at 1,950 fps, muzzle velocity. All one shot, double lungs. DTR.

Brian
I really want to read all your hunt reports with that rifle. :D

You will find much lower felt recoil using IMR3031achieving your same FPS versus your H4895. Sorry I only had loads for my 500 NE not the Jeffery or I would supply them
Also and this has probably been said…to me it’s about want not need. I loved my 375, 404 and 450-400 but “wanted” my 470 not thinking of a stopping rifle I just wanted it

Ontario and Mondki,
Yes, DRT means "dead right there.+ I thought it was a common acronyms. My bad.
WTF. Brian

I really want to read all your hunt reports with that rifle. :D
Certus,
Thank you for your kind words.
Here is the only one that I can find right now. Sorry, it's an old one. This link to AH has the story "Never Mind The Bull" and the video. You just have to scroll half a page to find them both.
Enjoy, Brian

Ontario and Mondki,
Yes, DRT means "dead right there.+ I thought it was a common acronyms. My bad.
WTF. Brian
Or "dropped right there"? Or "dirty rotten turd?" This acronym seems to come up a lot in double gun threads so I'm leaning more towards the second explanation. WTF? Want to fart?

Certus,
Thank you for your kind words.
Here is the only one that I can find right now. Sorry, it's an old one. This link to AH has the story "Never Mind The Bull" and the video. You just have to scroll half a page to find them both.
Enjoy, Brian

Thanks but I mean the .50-110 ;)

I have come to many of the same conclusions finding my Model 70 in 416 Remington and an 11 pound double in 470 to be very manageable to shoot and handle.

I have a 458 Lott but it is a lot more felt recoil for me. I think the 416 and 470 of reasonable weight are about perfect for hunting clients who must place the first shot with absolute precision.

The 500s and 458 Lott in my view are tools for professionals seeking to sort out a mess often created by a poorly placed shot of a client.

If you as a client can shot the Lott and 500s as well as something smaller, you are probably the exceptional individual. And like Elmer Keith are pretty much recoil proof.People like that should shoot whatever they can handle. The rest of us are better off with a “light heavyweight “ which still packs a whale of a punch.

As you mention Elmer Keith, I am forever in awe of his love for BIG calibers, despite him being a physically small man.

He jabbed Jack O'Connor by calling O'Connor's beloved .270 caliber "...an adequate fox hunting caliber."

On one occasion he called the 270 “ A damned fine coyote rifle.”

As you mention Elmer Keith, I am forever in awe of his love for BIG calibers, despite him being a physically small man.

He jabbed Jack O'Connor by calling O'Connor's beloved .270 caliber "...an adequate fox hunting caliber."
O’Connor was recoil shy, despite his military experience shooting the 30-06-chambered 1903.

O’Connor was recoil shy, despite his military experience shooting the 30-06-chambered 1903.
During WW I Jack lied about his age and joined the Army at 15. He was soon discharged for tuberculosis. Upon graduating school, he enlisted in the Navy in 1919 and served as a hospital corpsman aboard the USS Arkansas and was honorably discharged in 1921.

I’m sure like many he could place his shots more accurately with a lighter recoiling rifle like his beloved 270, yet I’m confused about this notion he favored the lightweights, that is simply incorrect. It has been well documented that he favored the 375 H&H for coastal brown bear in Alaska and used 416 Rigby and 450 Watts Magnum in Africa. I believe the 450 Watts would be comparable to the 458 Lott in power and recoil. These are not lightweight rifles. I believe he simply believed in using the correct tool for the job. He felt his 270 was adequate for elk and interior grizzly and used it quite successfully.

I love my 458 WM but Winchester seemed to produce the latest Safari Expresses a little light for caliber in regards to the 416 RemMag and 458 WinMag at 9.0lbs.

Running the hottest factory loads (Hornady) it is producing just under 73 ft-lbs of recoil energy.

I'm hoping to bring the rifle weight up to 10lbs in order to drop that recoil down to 65 ft-lbs (less with all other factory loads).

What are some options to add weight aside from adding a scope or drilling the stock?
An option, if you can do it in a way that doesn't weaken a stock is to get the tungsten powder they sell for golf clubs, and mix a slurry up with a quality epoxy like WEST system, or RAKA. You can then get it to bond into the stock. Tungsten is heavier than lead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omghmg

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!