So you think you need to own a Stopping Rifle...

All this talk about big bores scares me I don't have enough loaded ammo to finish up the year. :eek:

12 Oct 18 shots BASA
2 November BASA Corporate shoot 14-16 shots
9-16 Nov a hunt with a friend and playing a bit with rifles 15-20 shots
End of November BASA shoot another 18 rounds

Then in February we start all over with our first of 6 yearly shoots BASA, Mayge another dangeorus game shoot hosted by someone else corporate shoot and maybe one or two more.

Basically I get to shoot 200 rounds of my 458 lott roughly over year and that is just on shoots not at the range to check zero or hunting.

So I get enough practise and I'm sure if your physically capable and in shape you could do it with larger bores as well but it takes time don't think you are going to pick up a 458 or larger and just hit the targets.

It takes getting used too.

Big Question is the DG PH's and outfitters do they get in enough practise?
Not want to stir the pot but we have seen PH's come once to our shoots and never again since he didn't fare that well instead of coming back practising and learning more.
Some stick aporund and become great shots I was there long ago came and thought as a PH no this is easy and I was tottaly wrong.

@DWB is soon going to get his new 500 Jeff in his hands and that will be a new learning cycle I can't wait for him to show off the rifle think the engraving on it is basically done.

What is in my future of bigger bores if the stars align and I can find a proper magnum action that will be a 550 Magnum. I intend to download it and be able to shoot a full day with it without breaking the bank or myself by shooting 650gr bullet at 2150-2200fps that is a dream but we will see.

All this talk about big bores scares me I don't have enough loaded ammo to finish up the year. :eek:

12 Oct 18 shots BASA
2 November BASA Corporate shoot 14-16 shots
9-16 Nov a hunt with a friend and playing a bit with rifles 15-20 shots
End of November BASA shoot another 18 rounds

Then in February we start all over with our first of 6 yearly shoots BASA, Mayge another dangeorus game shoot hosted by someone else corporate shoot and maybe one or two more.

Basically I get to shoot 200 rounds of my 458 lott roughly over year and that is just on shoots not at the range to check zero or hunting.

So I get enough practise and I'm sure if your physically capable and in shape you could do it with larger bores as well but it takes time don't think you are going to pick up a 458 or larger and just hit the targets.

It takes getting used too.

Big Question is the DG PH's and outfitters do they get in enough practise?
Not want to stir the pot but we have seen PH's come once to our shoots and never again since he didn't fare that well instead of coming back practising and learning more.
Some stick aporund and become great shots I was there long ago came and thought as a PH no this is easy and I was tottaly wrong.

@DWB is soon going to get his new 500 Jeff in his hands and that will be a new learning cycle I can't wait for him to show off the rifle think the engraving on it is basically done.

What is in my future of bigger bores if the stars align and I can find a proper magnum action that will be a 550 Magnum. I intend to download it and be able to shoot a full day with it without breaking the bank or myself by shooting 650gr bullet at 2150-2200fps that is a dream but we will see.
I have only shot my .550 Magnum a handful of times, Velocity right around the 2170 ft./s (from rusty memory) and it is fun. I will try some of the other loads from Neal Shirley one of these days. Even in the 2150 through 2200 per second I still think it would stop a bushbuck charge quickly and decisively. Good luck getting one built.

I've shot a 450 Rigby, less recoil with standard loads but from what I've read, the big 50s hit significantly harder, not due to energy but the diameter of the bullet. Of the three big 50s, I think loading the 500 Jeffery with a fast powder (like H4895) is the most power for the least recoil. I think I'm going to switch from 570g TSX's to 570g A-Frames and load them down to 2150 fps (500 NE velocity) and see how they shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KelleeShic

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.