So you think you need to own a Stopping Rifle...

I love my 458 WM but Winchester seemed to produce the latest Safari Expresses a little light for caliber in regards to the 416 RemMag and 458 WinMag at 9.0lbs.

Running the hottest factory loads (Hornady) it is producing just under 73 ft-lbs of recoil energy.

I'm hoping to bring the rifle weight up to 10lbs in order to drop that recoil down to 65 ft-lbs (less with all other factory loads).

What are some options to add weight aside from adding a scope or drilling the stock?

Last edited:
I love my 458 WM but Winchester seemed to produce the latest Safari Expresses a little light for caliber in regards to the 416 RemMag and 458 WinMag at 9.0lbs.

Running the hottest factory loads (Hornady) it is producing just under 73 ft-lbs of recoil energy.

I'm hoping to bring the rifle weight up to 10lbs in order to drop that recoil down to 65 ft-lbs (less with all other factory loads).

What are some options to add weight aside from adding a scope or drilling the stock?
Fill the magazine :)

I put a Trijicon 1-6 Accupoint with Warne bases and QD rings.

This added well over a pound and a half to my Model 70 Express. Made a world of difference. Then I filled the magazine and added a carry strap.

When I was charged by a buffalo bull, the scope at 1x worked perfectly at close range.

You could put a cartridge holder with ammo on the butt stock as well.

Mason Leather makes really good cartridge holders and heavy duty carry straps that would go perfectly with your Model 70.

I’ve got a hankering for a 458 Win Mag. No reason than “just because.”

As I read older safari books I do take note that white hunters of old were not bruisers, yet shot big doubles or magazine rifles a great deal. I remember Harry Selby mentioning to me once about recoil-shy clients. Of recoil he said to me he could “…not care one whit.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
only1mb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.