So, I Was In The Loading Room Today...

Since it has adequate case capacity I think it is better to go with the .375 as you have noted rather than the smaller .338. The Sierra 350 gr Matchking would be a vey interesting target round.

I still think we need the 400 MarrBeiter!

I Loaded up CEB 150 gr Maximus over RL-19 for my 308 Norma Mag. I used the data for 150gr Woodleigh from their manual as CEB did not have data. Can't wait to get to the range to see how they fly.
20210327_175902.jpeg

Pheroze, a 150 Gr. bullet out of a 308 Norma Mag. should be a real "smoker." What made you decide to use such a light bullet?

I Loaded up CEB 150 gr Maximus over RL-19 for my 308 Norma Mag. I used the data for 150gr Woodleigh from their manual as CEB did not have data. Can't wait to get to the range to see how they fly.View attachment 395122
That's a serious high-tech bullet!

I don't think they would even sell those to a Luddite like me!

Pheroze, a 150 Gr. bullet out of a 308 Norma Mag. should be a real "smoker." What made you decide to use such a light bullet?
I keep flirting with this technology. But, a few things came together - A lot of over-thinking and research, believe me!

There is a thread on AH about how great the very lightweight Raptors are. My PH indicated to me that he had moved away from mono metals, preferring a bullet that has some shrapnel associated with it (in my mind kinda supporting the experiences with the raptor) I Have tried the Raptors and they shoot fine, but I want something with a bigger exit hole. CEB claims these Maximus have a bigger exit wound and a report I read indicated the hole for a 225 gr 338 was over twice the diameter in an Elk at about 220 yards. So, I spoke to CEB about the intended target being moose and black bears and they said I would be fine with the 150gr. I think speed helps this technology. I expect about 3200 fps max.

Also, the research I read on the GS Customs website indicated that they had success with high speed, light for caliber. Also, the GS Customs indicated that losing the petals was a design feature, and the remaining wadcutter shape maximized penetration. There seems to be a confluence of belief in this kind of technology.

Anecdotally, my son used a 150gr GS Custom out of a 308 Win on a wildebeest and it worked perfectly. So, here I am trying it out. There is actually very little on the web about these particular Maximus bullets.

Last edited:
Shoulda took a pic of the target but I'm super happy, did some shooting yesterday with the load I'm working up for Africa in a few weeks. Shot 3/4" MOA out of my 06 with 180gr TTSX's

9398875E-9B8A-4731-B379-75E0513259B4.jpeg

loaded up some 458 SOCOM with 33.5 grains of RL-7 with 325 grain Hornady FTX. They look like Taliban Lipstick to me!

@Bullthrower338 I hear Biden is going to use the photo you posted yesterday. Congratulations! Biden is sending a card to North Korea, telling the fat dude with the bad haircut that if he keeps firing missiles, we will retaliate and we have a lot more than he does.

1617105462358.png

Cody, two questions, first; what are you planning to use these on, second what rifle will you be using? I'm guessing hogs and an AR platform rifle.
Yes sir, you are correct on both. Going down to the lease in a couple weeks to test them out!

View attachment 395276
loaded up some 458 SOCOM with 33.5 grains of RL-7 with 325 grain Hornady FTX. They look like Taliban Lipstick to me!

Im doing a similar load using the same hornady FTX.. only Im using 30gr of H110 (should produce pretty close to the same velocity as your 33.5 of RL-7 load)...

Shooting them out of a DIY AR built on a Sons of Liberty Gunworks lower and a Bear Creek Arsenal upper..

Hog Hammer!

Im just glad I bought 4 boxes of the 325gr FTX last year while I could still find them.. they've become unobtanium since all this recent BS began..

Im doing a similar load using the same hornady FTX.. only Im using 30gr of H110 (should produce pretty close to the same velocity as your 33.5 of RL-7 load)...

Shooting them out of a DIY AR built on a Sons of Liberty Gunworks lower and a Bear Creek Arsenal upper..

Hog Hammer!

Im just glad I bought 4 boxes of the 325gr FTX last year while I could still find them.. they've become unobtanium since all this recent BS began..
I built mine on a bear creek upper also, with the spiral fluting, cool looking rig! Midway had some a couple days ago

DSCN2083-X3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy! There are some critters in Namibia in serious trouble. Nosler brass, Winchester primers, 47.5gr of IMR 4064, topped with a Barnes 180gr TTSX. It’s on like Donkey Kong. Wheels up
the 14th and I’m counting them down
CFA51927-5CB0-46D5-A82A-0F2120DC8C01.jpeg

Eric, what caliber rifle will you be using? What will you be hunting?

Oh boy! There are some critters in Namibia in serious trouble. Nosler brass, Winchester primers, 47.5gr of IMR 4064, topped with a Barnes 180gr TTSX. It’s on like Donkey Kong. Wheels up
the 14th and I’m counting them down View attachment 395985
Sounds like you’re ready to go. Good luck and safe travels.

Eric, what caliber rifle will you be using? What will you be hunting?
30-06. A slew of PG kudu, blue and black wildebeest, gemsbok, springbok, warthog, Hartebeest, baboon, and whatever else gives me an opportunity

Eric, I wish you good luck. BTW I'm very glad to see that you've chosen a caliber that IMHO is appropriate to the task. Will you be sending your hunting report as it unfolds, or waiting till after your return?

Eric, I wish you good luck. BTW I'm very glad to see that you've chosen a caliber that IMHO is appropriate to the task. Will you be sending your hunting report as it unfolds, or waiting till after your return?
Thank you, the 30-06 IMHO is still the absolute best all round hunting caliber. Just because something is old doesn’t mean it’s still not fantastic. Sure there is newer and prettier stuff out there but the old war horse is still the champ
In my book.
I will do a full hunt report when I return but I may throw in some in progress pics and such depending upon the availability of internet service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tryevct5675

Latest profile posts

Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles